Do you hate your smile?

WeirdyMcGee

I worry about my teeth (and my whole face) because I've been in positions where I am strictly judged based on how I look.
I was supposed to get braces as a child but we couldn't afford them, so my bottom row of teeth are crooked and jagged-- but Keanu Reeves' are too and no one seems to mind.
My teeth are discoloured from an illness, although I brush and whiten them on a daily basis-- but some of the best and kindest people in the world have yellow teeth.
I have cavities I will never be able to afford to fill, and gingivitis and gum disease that will never go away and gaps and crowding and an overbite that make my smile far from any conceivable notion of 'lovely'
BUT
A natural smile or laugh is wonderful, no matter how many teeth a person has or is missing-- how crooked or yellow they are, how wrinkly their face gets, how wide their nose becomes, how thin or nonexistent your lips get, etc... because it's the joy and the good feelings behind it that radiate forward; not your face or teeth.
A natural laugh or smile is contagious.
That's what makes it beautiful-- not the outer but the inner.

And despite knowing all of this, I feel (I am) shallow for caring so much about how I look and for being so depressed about it that I never smile or laugh.

MrJones

A natural smile or laugh is wonderful, no matter how many teeth a person has or is missing-- how crooked or yellow they are, how wrinkly their face gets, how wide their nose becomes, how thin or nonexistent your lips get, etc... because it's the joy and the good feelings behind it that radiate forward; not your face or teeth.
A natural laugh or smile is contagious.
That's what makes it beautiful-- not the outer but the inner.
This is simply beautiful.

I totally agree.

I'm Not There

Whenever I have to smile on command, e.g. when someone's taking a picture, one of the corners of my mouth always starts twitching for some inexplicable reason. This happens especially after they tell me I have to smile (as I'm usually the only one in the picture who's not smiling). The result is always me pulling off a clearly forced smile.

When I was younger I was obsessed with how unwhite my teeth were. I saw the commercials for tooth whitening products and thought my teeth needed to look like that for me to look acceptable. I remember standing in the mirror for hours, trying to convince myself my teeth were whiter than they were. I tried baking soda and toothpastes, nothing helped. To be honest my teeth weren't even that bad, but they weren't bright white either. It caused me a lot of unnecessary stress and what I now realize was depression.

Now years later I have had braces (I had crooked teeth, they weren't THAT bad but there was one in particular on the top that stood out) and I used half a package of Crest Whitening strips and it worked wonders. I didn't have yellow teeth but ever since then my teeth have looked very nice. Not super bright but pretty.

That obsession in my childhood, among others, just shows me I've always had an obsessive personality, and possibly always had BDDish symptoms. I used to be convinced I was fat at one point and hid in giant sweaters, but really I was only a little chubby, not that bad for a middle schooler.

Now I have other body image issues and don't give two ****s about my teeth or weight, really.

Jes

I love my smile. When I was a child I didn't but as I got older I realized it was one of my best traits. :D

MrSunday

It depends. When my smile comes naturally to me, I look fine. When I fake my smile, I look demonic. :/

Phoenixx

Yeah I still hate my smile even after all I've been through to get nicer looking teeth. When I was a kid, I had a really messed up mouth. My teeth were very crooked, and before I could even get braces at 13, I had to get the rest of my baby teeth pulled (8 to be exact). Once I got my braces, it was pretty painful for several months. I had to have a chain on one tooth just to pull it into the spot it was supposed to be in (had a second permanent tooth above one of my front teeth, yet nothing on the other side, so there was an open space). Once that chain was done, I had bands placed on either side of my mouth to fixed my crooked jaw -- that took 3 months. Then all the while this is going on, I still got to go in every month for the regular tightening and new bands placed on. Surprisingly all that I had done, I had my braces off within 2 years with completely different teeth. You'd think I'd smile more, since I have gotten quite a few compliments about how great my teeth look now, but I don't. I just don't like how young I look. :/

Edit: Also I should add that my wide face shape does not help matters any. -.- Smiling just makes my face look fat.

Last edited:

Gaucho

i like my smile, but i hate my nose, I'm obsessed with my nose, i like(or better said, i can live) with my other parts, but not my fcking nose.

Lonelykitsune

I have a 'quagmire' chin that is really noticable when I smile. It's awful looking and I hate it, I can see why so many women get chin-ops.

I've looked at pictures from when I was a kid and its not noticable in them for some reason.

Also I got braces a few years back and I kind of miss my crooked teeth.

JCVA

I only hate my smile when taking a picture. It always feels so forced and I notice sometimes my mouth twitches from it.

KiaKaha

Banned
No - well I actually smile quite a lot, its just that in photos I cant force it. I feel weird and it always looks awkward...so I drop my expression to a poker face. Thats why I look serious all the time. Its rare someone can capture my smile on film.