Do you get freaked out by extra nice people?

Lorraine Manca

this really steals an idea from someone else's thread,

Do extra nice people make you extremely nervous? why do you think that is?

they make me want to hurl and i dont know why.

Iseesky

Yes! And it worries me because I feel like one of those extra nice people! D:
But, I think it's because you aren't sure whether they mean it or not. Some people are very genuine with their niceness. Others are just nice to get something out of you or to see how you react.

Shift

Well, it depends on if they are a genuinely nice person or if they are being overly nice just for show. It's hard to explain. I've met a few people who are truly nice and loving and I am comfortable around them.

And then there's those people who are way too nice because they feel like they have to be to uphold a certain image. Or they are pretending to be nice because they think you are retarded or whatever. Those people freak me out.

Happiness Injections

It depends if they are like actually nice, or if they are like disgustingingly freakishly and unnaturally happy, like in a fake way. Where every smile poisons your sweet sweet cynical soul. I don't know if they so much freak me out as much as they annoy me, and make me want to punch them in the face. I don't have a problem with genuinely nice people.

Lorraine Manca

Re: Happiness Injections

It depends if they are like actually nice, or if they are like disgustingingly freakishly and unnaturally happy, like in a fake way. Where every smile poisons your sweet sweet cynical soul. I don't know if they so much freak me out as much as they annoy me, and make me want to punch them in the face. I don't have a problem with genuinely nice people.

hey! well said

FOR REAL

Banned
oh **** it! i was going to take the shortcut out of this, but to be honest all us "nice" guys are basicly ****ED!!

Lorraine Manca

i get freaked out by GENUINE nice people. people who really are good. its like there life experience must be so different, its like talking with an alien. and that's scary!

LadyWench

Yes. Most of the time, I feel like they are being fake and have an ulterior motive. I rarely ever meet genuinely nice people.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I don't like such people too much... Always smiling and giggling, it looks fake, it makes me think they laugh at me, or they might be judgemental idiots if i dare to say something they don't consider "normal". I know i'm probably wrong, but I can't help thinking this way...

emmasma

It depends on if they are being nice or talking to me like I am a little kid. That bothers me.
I guess I would still prefer that over someone being mean to my face or confronting me though.

Last edited:

Mokkat

No matter whether they're genuinly nice or not, I have a tendency to dislike 'nice' people. I guess Im jealous in a way.

Harleyq

For me, it depends heavily on the way they sound when they speak to me. I hate when "nice" people talk to me like I'm a child in order to sound sweet.

I also don't like to be called "sweetheart" or "honey." I don't take offense to it or anything, it just makes me feel weird.

How can you really say? its all subjective. How do you know you're not reading too much into it? What you consider freakishly happy may be completely normal for that person. I mean there is up and down, light and dark. Think of how bad you've felt at times, well why shouldn't someone somewhere be able to feel the exact opposite? What's wrong with acting nice? If talking like that makes them feel THAT good, fine. If it really ticks me off (and it can), then i let them talk to themselves and move on with my mood swings. But then again...what do i know?

Last edited:

Tiercel

If I already know the person, it's no big deal. If I don't know the person, I reckon they probably want to get something out of me.

I also don't like to be called "sweetheart" or "honey." I don't take offense to it or anything, it just makes me feel weird.

The only time I use either of these words when talking to a woman is usually when I'm starting to get frustrated or aggravated. Usually I douse them with sarcasm or condescension. "Listen, honey..." then I go on to point out the painfully obvious, or something like that. So if I ever use it, it's probably not a compliment.

It also reminds me of that Asian guy imitating William Shatner on that priceline.com commercial. For some reason I always get a kick out of that one. :D

Liberty

Banned
this really steals an idea from someone else's thread,

Do extra nice people make you extremely nervous? why do you think that is?

they make me want to hurl and i dont know why.

Absolutely! Can relate 100%.

I had no problem with it until I developed Social Phobia but now it bothers me so much to hear people being uber-nice to each other. All I can think is about how it is so fake and useless and uncessary. I can't seem to do it myself. It frustrates me to no end. Especially since I work with quite a few talkaholic women. I can't stand to hear women talk. They just talk on and on and on about absolutely nothing. I wish every single day I could just scream, "SHUT...THE....****....UP....ABOUT YOUR STUPID APRICOTS!!!"

It's also strange but since I've developed Social Phobia I also cannot tell if I'm being mean. My default state of mind is to be blunt and impolite and it doesn't seem irregular to me like it used to pre-SP. I think it's because I'm detached from others in every way so I have no rapport built up at all in my mind but in their mind we should have some rapport because we work together.

Last edited:

limetree

As people have said, genuine warmth and niceness is appreciated, but this reminds me of a tangential thread from another forum, "are happy people more shallow?" I'd say no except for those ebullient, overly optimistic people who bounce through life living in a bubble, willing to sweep under the rug the harsh realities of suffering and other serious issues. A willing to discuss such issues or at least acknowledge them makes a connection much more possible in my case. Conversely exclusively mopey, misanthropic, pessimistic tendencies can be shallow too when overindulgence obscures your ability to accept that life is comprised of both light and shade (guilty as charged).

I used to have a Holden Caulfield chip on my shoulder about how phony everyone's positivity was but I'm trying to just let them be now. If later down the track they realise they've been hiding something heavy from themselves, they'll only choose to confront their real selves when they're ready. I hate when positive people make you feel "damaged" too, by saying "don't worry about it, everything will turn out fine" etc. At the same time they probably don't intend to make you feel misunderstood, they're just advising what works for them as we all probably do. I can't blame their level of insight bc they may not have gone through very much or their temperament's defense mechanism is to suppress negativity. At least I can always choose to avoid them. :)

Lorraine Manca

For me, it depends heavily on the way they sound when they speak to me. I hate when "nice" people talk to me like I'm a child in order to sound sweet.

I absolutely hate being called sweetheart or honey! i have no idea why. i guess its just really weird to have a stranger use a pet name on you or something. for me, id be equivalent to slinging my arm around a random persons shoulders and talkin to the person like id known them all my life. "so how are the kids?" darling is another one that makes me feel weird.