Do you get embarrassed when you are watching tv, surfing the web or reading, and...

AngelSong

Somebody walks in. I don't know why, but I get really embarrased. When I'm watching tv and somebody walks in I turn it off, and when I'm on the computer I minimize everything. Even listining to music or reading a book.
I know it sounds crazy and it probably is.

This really annoys everyone in my house, and they think I'm being secretive and doing something bad. When they ask me what I was watching I don't tell them. I'm seriously not trying to be rude, I just feel so embarrased telling someone even though there is no reason at all to be embarrased.

Now that I think of it I even do it when I'm microwaving something. When someone walks by I have to turn of the microwave really fast.

I'm just wondering if this could possibly have something to do with SA or if I'm just a whole new kind of crazy. Which I have to admit would be pretty cool.(Not that SAers are crazy or anything::p:)

always when i have the chat windows open and someone enters my room i minimize it, thanks to the 'show desktop' at the right bottom on windows 7:D

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Sometimes. If I'm listening to music and someone comes in, i turn off the volume. If I'm watching certain things on TV, like cartoons, someone singing, or anything animated, I have to turn it off if someone is around.
When I was little, I'd play alone in my room because I didn't like being watched, I didn't like to play in front of others. I did the same if I was watching a cartoon. I had to close the door, if someone came in, I would change channel or turn it off quickly. I just couldn't do anything when my relatives were around. They would just stand there, staring at me like idiots and laughing at whatever I was doing. I'll never understand what was so funny...

mozart87

it definetely has to do with SA. i remember back in high school i was surfing a site of a radio station and I was all wet thinking that my female colleague was, in my mind, seeing me:D
one other time I was chatting with a girl met online, and two of my colleagues saw me and they made a joke of that, not in a bad a way, but I still felt really ashamed of the situation:p

dooby-duck

if im on spw i close the window down faster than the speed of light :D

:D Yes I'm guilty of that as well. I don't like people knowing I come to this forum because they are very nosy and would read everything I post. This is the only place I discuss any of this type of stuff.

I'm a really private person I suppose. I don't like people knowing what I'm looking at on the internet or what music I'm listening to. I'm the same sometimes with tv programmes. I think it may have something to do with the being judged part of social anxiety.

Richey

my mum always walks in and throws paper into the paper basket without warning, and i've had comments from dad like "so hard at work are we?" ...so for me there is a sense of paranoia more than humiliation....or if i'm watching a video on youtube i close it right away because they dont like me using up to much of the webspace...

Yes, definitely. Because the occasions where I have let people see what I was doing, or hear what I was listening to, I got laughed at/picked on. It's as if my interests/opinions are ridiculous and/or stupid.

da_illest101

my parents don't understand english so i have no problems, but when my sister appear, i put my self on a gaming site lol. I usually have to pages open just in case

Shift

I am like that a little bit. Mostly with the TV, computer. And I hide all of my CDs if someone's coming over to my house (not that that happens very often).

lyricalliaisons

I do. I'm just way too private. It doesn't matter what I'm reading, or watching, or listening to, etc. I just get so embarrassed for others to see me do it. I think it's because I'm afraid they're going to make a comment about it because I've had people make negative comments about the things I like before. I'm the same way when I get a book or dvd from the library, I'm embarrassed of what the person behind me or even the librarian is thinking when they see me with it. Even if it's something like the Lord of the Rings or something very mainstream lol.

I can relate to this.. I feel much embarassed when someone walks in..
When I'm at my grandparents and I put the computer on another screen, then my grandpa always says ''Are you watching a secret page?'' ha ha
But I dont really feel like hiding something.. ::p:

CPA23

I used to be like that a whole lot. It's not so bad now, but I used to be so secretive with everything. I don't know why, I just wanted my own space. I wasn't trying to be mean, even though I might have came across as being territorial.

Corsendonk

I do. I'm just way too private. It doesn't matter what I'm reading, or watching, or listening to, etc. I just get so embarrassed for others to see me do it. I think it's because I'm afraid they're going to make a comment about it because I've had people make negative comments about the things I like before. I'm the same way when I get a book or dvd from the library, I'm embarrassed of what the person behind me or even the librarian is thinking when they see me with it. Even if it's something like the Lord of the Rings or something very mainstream lol.

I can relate so much to what you just wrote. Same goes for food i buy at the store. Not only the cashiers (I make sure i don't get the same one every time) , but customers behind me aswell. i think they'll judge the stuff i buy for example. I change songs in winamp or change the volume if a family member enters my room. I stop playing guitar as if they'll judge me like i'm some kind of professional. Why can't i just have fun doing my stuff? pfffff...::eek::

jdiane

When I'm on this website, I do that... I guess I'm embarrased that my hubby or my daughter will see me on here and think it's weird?? not sure why.. My hubby knows I have Social Phobia but doesn't know I come on here, but I don't think my daughter is quite aware.. I don't want to explain why I'm on here I guess....