Do you feel ignored on internet forums?

NightTimeForever

Well, I do, maybe the topics I create aren't that interesting. I'm wondering if anyone else has ruminated over the same, and it's something I think about because much of my social life is based off of internet forums. Thoughts?

Golem

Yes, because my english sucks :bigsmile: and i can't write nothing interesting in this site. :giggle:
I think it is a wrong perception of you. Most comments are read but not all are discussed

Silatuyok

Yes, I think everyone feels a little ignored at times. Sometimes I wonder if my posts are invisible to everyone but me; they seem to get skipped over a lot. But keep in mind that it would be very difficult for every comment to get a response.

telepathine

at times, yes. but i hardly ever post and i don't do much to engage people, so i can't expect to receive much attention. i prefer to just lurk most of the time anyway. :p

JohnnAY

Yea, but I think it's probably because they don't feel like they have anything valuable to add. This is a social phobia site!

I also hate being the last post in a thread. I feel like I killed the thread. Like the guy who walks into a party and the music stops and everyone's like "alright, lets get outta here."

paperie

I do sometimes, but I'm also more of a lurker too.....I just feel like I never have anything interesting to contribute :p

jaim38

We all have times when we feel ignored. Sometimes my questions don't get answered and I feel down, but I manage to get over it and move on. I don't respond to every thread on the forum usually for 4 reasons: 1) I don't have anything meaningful to contribute, 2) It doesn't relate to me, 3) I'm not interested in the topic, 4) I'm in a bad mood.

A86

at times, yes. but i hardly ever post and i don't do much to engage people, so i can't expect to receive much attention. i prefer to just lurk most of the time anyway. :p

Same. Though I am trying to become more communicative.

Compared to the amount of time I spend reading on this forum, I feel... well I dont like the fact I am always looking at the 'posts' counter next to everyones names as though that is some measurement of how much a user is a valued member of this site. It does make me feel somewhat inadequate, especialy when comparing that number to the 'date joined' stat.

But as time goes on it is bothering me less & less. So it now has become a measurement of my self improvement when I look at it and compare how I feel.

A Many Splendored Thing

We should sticky this to the front page, because it seems most of us at one point feel that way.

I'm always afraid that everyone will be posting, then I post, and everything stops. It's like "Dang, I'm good at that.":applause:

Metal_isthe_Answer

In some forums (I visit very few overall) I am usually the last one to post anything.
If there have been 5 replies mine will often times be the last, it's like people say "oh hey it's that guy! **** this I'm out of here!"

Last edited:

Srijita52

I'm sure none of you are really ignored, definitely not intentionally. I read most of the posts but sometimes its hard to come up with a proper response, I don't really have good conversation skills. Also sometimes I might have something to say but insecurity gets the best of me, like no one will be interested in what I've to say or my comments aren't valid and I'll just make a fool of myself. So sometimes I keep to myself. I'm not sure if its same for other but I guess some can relate.

BamanPiderman

I feel like I must not be that interesting, because whenever I create my own thread it never exceeds more than 2 pages.

MikeyC

It's difficult to reply to everything. One thing to remember is that while there may not be replies to your posts, people are reading them.

squidgee

Yea, but I think it's probably because they don't feel like they have anything valuable to add. This is a social phobia site!

I also hate being the last post in a thread. I feel like I killed the thread. Like the guy who walks into a party and the music stops and everyone's like "alright, lets get outta here."

^This. Your response pretty much sums it up for me. I know its irrational and stupid but I still can't help but feel it sometimes.

This is gonna be the last post isn't it?

NightTimeForever

These are all very good points. As many of you have said, plenty might read the post even if they don't reply. With social phobia, it's hard NOT to feel ignored, even when around people with similar fears. We still see them as people.

I see social anxiety as dehumanizing, but only for the person viewing themselves (IMO).