Do you feel ignored on internet forums?

KiaKaha

Banned
Occasionally I feel ignored but it's not a big deal. It's the internet...it doesn't really matter to me.

Right on.

And it's only the people who you mostly identify with that would matter the most anyway. Mostly - in the big picture - whether you are ignored online, is only superficial - we are not going to have anything to do with each other in real life.

I can understand why this would bother people so much though, especially because so many people here feel ignored in real life and would be feeling sensitive to it - the internet provides solace to the lonely. We all want to belong.

Agent_Violet

Right on.

And it's only the people who you mostly identify with that would matter the most anyway. Mostly - in the big picture - whether you are ignored online, is only superficial - we are not going to have anything to do with each other in real life.

I can understand why this would bother people so much though, especially because so many people here feel ignored in real life and would be feeling sensitive to it - the internet provides solace to the lonely. We all want to belong.

It's too bad it isn't in our nature to take comfort in not belonging ;)

springk

I am not sure if ignored is the right word.
I have been to few forums this one included and its generally that i am a lurker at least this is the site that i have ever lurked the most.
I dont post as i dont have anything worthwhile to say.
Thats the case in real life too.

so i guess its my fault that i m not interesting.
I also realize that people who have strong opinions and something to say are more what shall i say qouted and given attention.

No worries i m used to it.

NightTimeForever

Sometimes it is that people quote you because they don´t agree with what you say or you pissed someone off, not because they like you so much. Why should attention be necessarily good?

That's a good point, some people respond because they are attempting to rationalize their own viewpoints rather than genuine interest in someone else's. Probably pretty obvious.

Shenmue

Strike up the band, Unleash the fire works, fire up your neurons - Ladies and gentlemen, please put yours hands together for SHENMUE!!

I’m sorry, what was the question?

theoutsider

Well, I do, maybe the topics I create aren't that interesting. I'm wondering if anyone else has ruminated over the same, and it's something I think about because much of my social life is based off of internet forums. Thoughts?

This has happened to me on other forums. Most times it's not even topics that I have created, it's a forum where I have made a comment. It seems like the forum dies the minute I say something. I'll check back on the topic days later and see that my comment is still the last one made. I guess it happens to everybody but it does tend to make me feel sometimes like there's a secret agreement amongst the other members to stop talking once I come in a thread. :giggle:

Shenmue

SHENMUE IS HERE!!! :bowing: :giggle:

Thank you, you're a beautiful audience. Groupies can PM me after this post. On second thoughts, I'm far too anxious for that. I'll let Mikey step in for me. After reading one of TheLoneGunman's posts, I can assure you, Mikey is more than up to the task. ;)

Barrier

Sometimes. There have been forums I don't feel comfortable on, just like I can feel very uncomfortable around people in real life. Bit of a similar feeling.

ruhig

Sometimes I feel a bit ignored.. but I don't really comment that much, I might read whole threads and then just not feel like writing anything :idontknow:
This has happened to me on other forums. Most times it's not even topics that I have created, it's a forum where I have made a comment. It seems like the forum dies the minute I say something. I'll check back on the topic days later and see that my comment is still the last one made. I guess it happens to everybody but it does tend to make me feel sometimes like there's a secret agreement amongst the other members to stop talking once I come in a thread. :giggle:
Haha, this happens to me too at times!:)

RoseQuartz

On Internet forums, no.
But group e-mail lists... arrgh. last week I sent an e-mail to everyone involved on a certain project, said I wouldn't be able to show up because of a college exam, asked when could we schedule a new day for our meeting. Totally ignored. The next day I got scolded for not showing up =( only when I showed them the e-mail I had sent ( and it was delivered ), everyone was like "oh yeah...anyway, we already made everything without you".
And things like this happen to me all the time.

miserablecow

I feel the same way, but I still have posted threads. I'm a bit of a lurker too. I guess some just dont know what to reply to some of the threads or too afraid to.

Remus

Staff member
Sometimes I get ignored, though I really don't question the reasoning.

I don't ignore posts, I may read them but don't feel I have anything constructive or interesting to post, so I abstain.

NightTimeForever

Yeah, the whole "the entire forum dies" sentiment is pretty familiar to me, too. I must've been drunk when I chose my superpower!

MikeyC

Thank you, you're a beautiful audience. Groupies can PM me after this post. On second thoughts, I'm far too anxious for that. I'll let Mikey step in for me. After reading one of TheLoneGunman's posts, I can assure you, Mikey is more than up to the task. ;)
I'll take one (or two) for the team. ;)

DukeOtakuNukem

I don't really participate in many internet forums anymore, due to the possibility of being ridiculed and or humiliated, but recently, I have joined a forum that I think may be good just to get back in the gist of things.

Roman Legion

I don't care about being ignored in the sense I want a reply, I just hope if I say anything, it will cause someone to at least give it more than a seconds thought before forgetting it.