Do you cover your face at all?

Dr. Doom

Whenever I'm nervous I cover my mouth with my hand like you would if you were covering your mouth while coughing. Does anybody else do it? Whenever I'm asked somthing at school or someone trys to talk to me I cover my mouth without thinking or I scratch at an invisible mustache. Just curious if other people did this.

I never really cover it completely, but I do the nervous scratch thing. On my hands when in public, when I'm alone I tend to scratch my chin and neck.

mmmm

Yes, besides cementing myself with makeup to hide my blushes (which people can see anyway) if I am holding something like a drink I will hold it right next to my cheek, especially if someone threatening is standing on that side. And I always wear my hair over my ears and brush it out of my face constantly (I make it fall in my face on purpose). These are more blush defense mechanisms, though.

D

deleted user 1

I have a very bad habbit of covering my mouth. I also wear a hoody everyday, having the hood drapped over me 24/7. I never really realized I did this until a year ago, but it's difficult to stop now. The covering of the mouth is the hardest though. I can't understand why I feel uncomfortable in this way, it's incredibly stupid upon review @_@

Forgotten-Children

Well not cover it perse, but whenever I walk in public, I tend to look more at the ground rather than people's faces so I won't be as intimidated.

Undercover

Yes, all the time. I do the thing where I will cover my mouth frequently when having to speak. I will also cover more of face, like with the ends of a long sleeve. I think I do it sometimes because I am nervous, but also because I am trying to cover parts of my appearance.

kuze

I used to wear a hoodie everyday a few years ago, I dreaded the summer months. Now I don't do that as much anymore.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yes, whenever I laugh I cover my mouth, or if people are talking to me and I think I may open my mouth for any reason other than talking.

MaliceInWickedland

I usually cover my mouth when I'm eating or when I laugh, whenever I'm about to sneeze, I pinch my nose so that it's silent and doesn't draw any attention, and I usually wear dark sunglasses or aviators to hide my eyes. I feel the most apprehensive when I'm making eye contact. I even get tense just sitting in my mom's car because I feel like people are looking at me from the side view mirrors and I wear sunglasses to at least hide some of my identity. Pretty weird but hey~ it helps ::p:

mismeek

I need my hand somewhere need my face when im talking to someone, or when someone is talking to me.

Why do we do this?

EscapeArtist

I tend to put my hand on my chin in the thinker position. Almost as if i'im stroking some beard I don't have. Also lean on my hand and cover part of my mouth when sitting. I try to face in a slightly off direction towards people so that they don't see my face full on. Other than that... not really.

D

deleted user 1

I usually cover my mouth when I'm eating or when I laugh, whenever I'm about to sneeze, I pinch my nose so that it's silent and doesn't draw any attention, and I usually wear dark sunglasses or aviators to hide my eyes. I feel the most apprehensive when I'm making eye contact. I even get tense just sitting in my mom's car because I feel like people are looking at me from the side view mirrors and I wear sunglasses to at least hide some of my identity. Pretty weird but hey~ it helps ::p:

This is another thing that is weighing heavily on me. I'm attending a wedding in two weeks and I'll be eating in front of everyone! Amongst other things that will happening that day, like giving a speech, I really reaching a state of meltdown over this :(

mismeek

This is another thing that is weighing heavily on me. I'm attending a wedding in two weeks and I'll be eating in front of everyone! Amongst other things that will happening that day, like giving a speech, I really reaching a state of meltdown over this :(

*pats* I feel you! I was the maid of honor for a friend.. it was a rough day, but just think.. the speech is only a couple of mins long.. and as soon as your done..they will have already forgotten about you and your speech. as for the eating, try to sit off in a corner where you dont feel like the object of attention and just take small bites.. if you feel anxious and queasy (thats what happens to me) just pretend to wipe your mouth with your napkin and spit it out. Trust me no one usually notices and if they do I just say "hmm that bite tasted funny"

D

deleted user 1

*pats* I feel you! I was the maid of honor for a friend.. it was a rough day, but just think.. the speech is only a couple of mins long.. and as soon as your done..they will have already forgotten about you and your speech. as for the eating, try to sit off in a corner where you dont feel like the object of attention and just take small bites.. if you feel anxious and queasy (thats what happens to me) just pretend to wipe your mouth with your napkin and spit it out. Trust me no one usually notices and if they do I just say "hmm that bite tasted funny"

That actually does make me feel better! Thanks :)

Silentknight

All the time and it gets worse I always wear a beanie hat and now shades so my face really is covered up at times.

ilmatross

I have a problem with eyecontact. I have no idea what the hell it is or why it happens. It's like my body forces me to look away when someone tries to establish eyecontact. Every fiber of my being is making me look at anything that isn't them, which in turn I'm sure makes me look weird and obvious that I'm avoiding eyecontact

I want to understand why and what it is. I hate it. If I could make it go away id have no S.A.

Dave1989

yep, ill position myself so that all of my face isnt on display as well if im particularly anxious

Looking_in105

I tend to put my hand on my chin in the thinker position. Almost as if i'im stroking some beard I don't have. Also lean on my hand and cover part of my mouth when sitting. I try to face in a slightly off direction towards people so that they don't see my face full on. Other than that... not really.

wow, i do exactly the same thing