Do you consider yourself an introvert, or an extrovert?

Lavinialuna

I can see that many introverts have Social Anxiety. I think of myself as an extrovert, although I have gained a lot of qualities that introverts have naturally due to the social anxiety.
How do you think of yourself? Have you always been introvert/extrovert or has your tendency changed over the years?

Kiwong

I am a loud, opinionated introvert. I've always had a tendency towards senstitivity and introversion. That has developed into the anxiety I suffer from today.

Last edited:

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
extravert-introvert.png

According to every definition I'm familiar with, I'm an introvert.

See also:

introvert-cartoon.gif

;)

Lorn

I've always been introverted, but I used to be comfortable in social situations as a child (at least until bad experiences began piling up). I just wasn't into hanging out and making friends.

FriendlyShadow

I can see that many introverts have Social Anxiety. I think of myself as an extrovert, although I have gained a lot of qualities that introverts have naturally due to the social anxiety.
How do you think of yourself? Have you always been introvert/extrovert or has your tendency changed over the years?

Definitely introverted. I''m not that great of conversationalist and am a very uninteresting person.

Samfce

I'm an extrovert, but after many embarrassments and insults I don't have the mental stability to openly socialize.

Lavinialuna

Interesting stuff. I was curious because my personality would probably say extrovert, but the social anxiety has me retreating and I am becoming more and more private. It's like I'm converting!

MikeyC

Considering the forum this question is asked on, most people will probably answer as an introvert. It's the side-effect (or cause?) of social anxiety.

I feel like I'm an extrovert occasionally trapped in an introvert's body.

When I was younger, I had more trouble so******ing, and my depression would keep me from doing anything. While I still like my down-time and to recharge, it's not quite as bad now, as I've become a happier person in general the last 9-12 months. That doesn't say I'm not depressed or anxious, but I do feel it's becoming less prevalent now. Fingers crossed it remains that way.

To that end, extroversion is easier to deal with, and I do like going out and hanging out with people, as long as they're nice, haha.

hidwell

I am 99% introvert, I like a little company here and there but for the most part people annoy and irritate me.

Just a guess but some of the people answering "introvert" might be extroverted with social anxiety (as the OP said about herself). Introversion is a personality type and introverts are not necessarily anxious. I know introverts who socialize just fine but need alone time, etc. SA can't cause introversion, only the illusion of such, which, in some cases, could be hiding a person's true socialization mode (extroversion or ambiversion).

I think I'm an anxious ambivert, since I have a few traits from both types when I'm comfortable but anxiety makes me appear introverted.

Last edited:

Lavinialuna

That's a great explanation Opaline. I agree. Circumstances effect how a person is able to express themselves, and anxiety mangles what might naturally be an outgoing nature.

Lavinialuna

I wanted to mention too that it is equally as difficult to have social anxiety as an extrovert because we naturally blurt things out and then regret them, beat ourselves up over the stupid stuff we said, worry we offended someone, and then ruminate over our stupidity for hours. Either way, it's a hard life.
I hope I don't come off too strong for you all.

bsammy

im definitely introverted..over the years i learned good social skills but socializing has always been tiring to me, even if its a subject thats interesting to me..everyday chit chat just bogs me down like nothing else..

Lorn

Interesting stuff. I was curious because my personality would probably say extrovert, but the social anxiety has me retreating and I am becoming more and more private. It's like I'm converting!

I think that's understandable. Living with something like social anxiety on a daily basis and still having to interact is pretty tiring work.

Is it possible to linger somewhere in between? I remember back in high school I quite enjoyed the company of my class mates - but got equal enjoyment out of spending days by myself. If I exclude the influence of anxiety - I wouldn't have a clue where I belong on the spectrum.

Lavinialuna

Mine was ISFP, however I took my social anxiety into consideration when answering the questions. I do however have no problem expressing myself or my feeling openly, and I have no problems starting conversations, although it takes a lot out of me.