Do you believe you will overcome social anxiety?

Do you believe you will overcome social anxiety?

• Yes

Votes: 38 48.1%
  • No

Votes: 41 51.9%

• Total voters

Ryguy2598

.....to the point where you want to overcome it? Because maybe you won't overcome it completely but, you know, to just be comfortable and confident in social situations.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Because maybe you won't overcome it completely but, you know, to just be comfortable and confident in social situations.

Yeah, I probably won't overcome it entirely, but I would, at the very least, like to be comfortable and confident in social situations. Instead of being all awkward and uneasy.

Kiwong

I believe I will be able to control it but not completely overcome it. Control it enough so that it is not so noticeable. I think I have made big steps towards that in the last months. I've dialed back the anxiety to a manageable level.

Phoenixx

I think I'll be able to overcome most of it... At least I hope so. I mean, I'm sure I will always be very shy, but I think I'll be able to get over the anxiety someday.

Hottie

I dont know how to answer this question. In reality i dont think i ever will but ill never give up trying. :)

Even saying this now, i shouldnt be saying it, i should be saying, yeah one day i will......but its feels to fake, if that makes sence ::(:

I dont know how to answer this question. In reality i dont think i ever will but ill never give up trying. :)

Even saying this now, i shouldnt be saying it, i should be saying, yeah one day i will......but its feels to fake, if that makes sence ::(:

Well yeah, but it's only fake when you believe it's a fake estimate. Every person here has the ability to overcome it, that means you too. Perhaps not everybody will, but everyone surely can. :3

I think I will get it under control. I'm not going to settle for anything less. I don't like the way my life is now. It has to/will get better.

Hottie

Well yeah, but it's only fake when you believe it's a fake estimate. Every person here has the ability to overcome it, that means you too. Perhaps not everybody will, but everyone surely can. :3

This is the part i am really struggleing to grasp, the bit where i really have to believe it. I want to really believe it, but its hard.

If i cant even stop taking drugs, how can believe myself whenever i say am going to get over anxiety? I do try to overide my thinking but it keeps coming back and the conflicts are constantly ongoing.

I do believe tho, within the last while i have seen some improvment in my thinking..i just need to keep improving.

But thinking and believeing are two completely different things so i dont know!

and i still cant answer the question...

I don't think I will ever overcome it. If it has not happened by now, its not going to.
I've lived with it for 31 years now.
Any improvement I've ever made through therapy and meds has been erased with each regression.
But thats just me, everyone is different.

This is the part i am really struggleing to grasp, the bit where i really have to believe it. I want to really believe it, but its hard.

If i cant even stop taking drugs, how can believe myself whenever i say am going to get over anxiety? I do try to overide my thinking but it keeps coming back and the conflicts are constantly ongoing.

I do believe tho, within the last while i have seen some improvment in my thinking..i just need to keep improving.

But thinking and believeing are two completely different things so i dont know!

and i still cant answer the question...

That's alright. The answers aren't always as clear as they are for others, and neither should they be, because everybody is different and solves this in his/her own way. If you're still unsure, I'd definitely suggest you keep on doing what makes you ''think'' you're improving. See, improvement doesn't lay with actual physical improvement, but within that -you- feel better. So if you observe improvement, then it -is- improvement. If you ''think'' it now, you'll start to ''believe'' it eventually. :3

One thing that helped me once was EasySkankins that told me; ''No ''what if's'' or ''but's'', they're the ones that keep us back.'' And the more I started thinking about, the more a realized he was spot on with that comment. Alternate scenario's to the the ones that actually occurs are often unnecessary statistics that merely clutter and confuse an already busy mind.

Another handy trick is to learn whether what you think is actually true. We sometimes blame ourselves for things that aren't necessarily our fault. Not every awkward moment is caused by us, people without social problems make those mistakes too.

The things is that you can't simply overwrite thinking patterns. You change them by following a positive mindset, and correcting negative thinking. When you find yourself thinking; ''I can't do it.'', ask yourself; ''Is that really true? Why wouldn't I be able to do it?''. Many times you'll find that you're capable of many things you might've considered extremely difficult. And if there's ever a case where you really can't do it, then it's not a problem either.

Life is short, but not -that- short. When you fail, just try again next time when you feel you've improved more. You can work at any pace you feel right in.

Hottie

Yeah, one thing my counsellor was telling me to do this week was 3 C's...

Catch the thought,
Challange the thought,
Change the thought.

Im tring and i always will :)

Deus_Ex_Lemur

Yeah, one thing my counsellor was telling me to do this week was 3 C's...

Catch the thought,
Challange the thought,
Change the thought.

Im tring and i always will :)

Whoa, this is why I need to see someone... Ive read this stuff but never so easy and concise. (bad memory).

I'll have to remember this one. Ty =D

Newtype

Definitely. I'm almost done beating it. Now I'm more in a recovery process. I have to repair all the damage that I've caused in my life due to SA. Also, I have to let go of some SA habits.

Bustn Justin

I have hope that I will be able to treat my SA. I know I will never be cured, but keep working on it so its minimized.

D

deleted user 1

Believe? There is another element to this disease that I will refrain from discussing here, it underlines the reason for failed therapy and medication attempts. You can deal with the material aspect of our being, but that is not all there is. Stille waters, diepe grond, onder draai die duiwel rond.

takethislife

You know I'm more and more starting to believe that SA is a part of who you are. At least in cases where it's present most of your life, like myself. I believe you can learn to overcome the symptoms, but i'm not so sure about the thing itself.

corvax

Yes. Or I'd like to think so, anyway.

I think if I can manage to find some decent friends, I can finally kick it. I just need that confidence boost. My biggest problem, after all, is feeling that I'm obnoxious/boring/awkward/insertnegativeadjectivehere. Having a couple friends would put that to rest for the most part. After all, if I were so [insert negative adjective here], they wouldn't be friends with me.

I'll probably always struggle with being shy and doubting myself socially, but nobody's perfect.