Did you drop out of high school?

Did you drop out of school?

• No, I finished high school.

Votes: 64 31.7%
  • Yes, I dropped out of high school.

Votes: 31 15.3%
  • Yes, I dropped out but took the GED later.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • No, I finished high school but dropped out of college.

Votes: 41 20.3%
  • No, I finished high school and finished college.

Votes: 41 20.3%

• Total voters

ChrystaR

I dropped out of school in the 8th grade. I then took my GED was I was 16. I also know someone else who dropped out because of anixety.

So, I was wondering how many people have dropped out and how many people were able to make it through?

JamesSmith

No, but I left college after freshman year because I was the loser who couldn't make friends that would actually hang out with me. I got sick of being surrounded by peers everyday that I never connected with.

A86

Yes. But after a year i sucked it back up and went back to complete it. (Though I did spend in a lot a time in the toilet cubicle to calm myself)

WeirdyMcGee

I first became agoraphobic in grade 9 after a brutal assault by one of my school-mates/cousins.
I stopped going to classes-- maybe showed up 1-2 days every month to hand things in and do presentations.
It worked that way for 3 years until my final year of highschool when I started slowly going to a few days every week and eventually came every day. (my cousin had graduated and was gone, finally)
All in all, I went to maybe enough days to equal 1 and a half years out of 4.
My teachers told the school board that my attendance was fine so that I was allowed to complete my schoolwork at home and hand it in, as long as all of my assignments were on time and I did homework every night it was assigned.
My grades were perfect- I was just too scared to be at school because I had been beaten and nothing could be done about it.

If it weren't for my teachers being so co-operative and understanding, I wouldn't have finished highschool.
I wouldn't have been qualified to.
I would have stayed locked in my room and not bothered to do anything because I was too terrified to try.

What definition of "dropping out of college" are we going by here? I graduated high school and I have two Associate's Degrees, but I never got a Bachelor's.

I did not complete my Senior years at first, due to my SA. However I managed to go back and do them 5 years later at a School for older people going back complete High School. :)
While it was still really hard socially, at least I was surrounded by older, more mature adults instead of mean and nasty teenagers.

Depression Glass

I dropped out of high school. I was at a standard public school at first, but ended up missing 113 days in sophomore year due to refusing to go/pretending to go but not going/going but walking right out the back door and returning home, etc.

After that I went to an alternative school for a year but I eventually stopped attending that too. I never officially dropped out, I just stopped going. I got my GED a few years later and managed to go to community college for a while, but eventually the agoraphobia got really bad again and I stopped doing that too. I only have one more class to take for my associates but currently have no ability to finish.

Since high school, it's been more or less the same feeling: a generalized inability to deal with anything. I feel like I'm constantly being weighed down by a ton of bricks and any additional weight at all will crush me. The only thing I can do is hide away from everyone and try to avoid any more emotional burdens. Even a stone-faced look from a stranger is enough to ruin me for a whole week. Even knowing I have to make one important phone call is suffocatingly horrible, more for the fact that it is hanging over me and adding to the weight than any fear of making a call.

The easiest things in the world that most people wouldn't even think twice about (cleaning off a table, checking the mailbox, washing a bowl, taking a shower) are downright herculean to me. Now compare those things to having to write an 8-page essay by a deadline and study for a test that makes up 20% of my grade, turn in a longterm project for another class, and maybe even stand in front of the class and do a presentation.

My exact reaction is something like "LOL NOAP"

SM1010

I made it through high school. Nobody ever picked on me. I played sports with all those kids growing up and was friendly with most of them. I was just insanely quiet, there were only a select few people I was really comfortable around so basically everybody just knew me as the quiet kid.

I still hated high school though. There were a bunch of classes where I knew a lot of people, because I grew up with them, but wasn't comfortable enough to talk to them. So that made for a hell of a lot of anxiety.

Ice Cream

I finished High School, even though it was like 6 months later than it was suppose to be. I had to switch to an Independent Study after 2 years. I'm really glad I didn't drop out even though I really wanted to at the time.

ChrystaR

Re: Ice Cream

I finished High School, even though it was like 6 months later than it was suppose to be. I had to switch to an Independent Study after 2 years. I'm really glad I didn't drop out even though I really wanted to at the time.

I did some independent study as well as some distance learning. I did a typing class, but I was too terrified to go in and take the final because a teacher had to watch over me the whole time. I was around 14 when I stopped schooling completely. Then at 16 I took a prep class and got my GED.

Even if I could, I wouldn't go to college. I've hated school since as long as I can remember and I would never put myself through something like that again. Plus, it's way too much money and the fact that most jobs only care about the piece of paper that says you graduated college, and not about what you actually learned, disgusts me.

HeadFace

I finished my first three years.. But then I took a profficiency exam to leave early, to goto college. I was so fed up. I hated it.
So much bull****. And the few people I enjoyed being around graduated already so I wouldve been alone anyway

InfraRecon

I went through high school and college (UK) totally normally. I really did hate it, but I'm such a passive person that it was less effort to just follow the path.

UnderTheBoughs

I dropped out of university this year, after two years. I never made any friends and the isolation and loneliness just got to me so much in the form of depression and rage. I lost the motivation to do a lot of the work so my grades just weren't good enough to continue. I could technically go back and re-do this year but I don't think I'm up to it, too late now anyway.

MaliceInWickedland

I finished my first three years.. But then I took a profficiency exam to leave early, to goto college. I was so fed up. I hated it.
So much bull****. And the few people I enjoyed being around graduated already so I wouldve been alone anyway

Lucky. I wanted to do that but I failed f****** geometry during the second semester of my sophomore year and that set me back on credits. Summer classes were full for geometry at the time too so I couldn't make it up and had to go through all four years with most of my close friends graduating while I was a junior.

HeadFace

Lucky. I wanted to do that but I failed f****** geometry during the second semester of my sophomore year and that set me back on credits. Summer classes were full for geometry at the time too so I couldn't make it up and had to go through all four years with most of my close friends graduating while I was a junior.
Ah. That sucks. At least you had friends up until junior year though, right?

MaliceInWickedland

Ah. That sucks. At least you had friends up until junior year though, right?

Yeah. Senior year really sucked though. It wasn't as fun as people made it out to be and the few friends I had left that hadn't graduated sort of left me behind and started hanging out with other people so I would spend early mornings and lunch at a nearby local library where I've been working full time.