Choosing Not to Drink.

Remus

Staff member
I do like a nice glass of wine to accompany a good meal once a week, that's about it though, I've never been a drinker.

Even when I went out to kareoke I only drank light if atall (mucks up singing)

LadyWench

Once again, thank you all for your responses. I wasn't expecting so many. New things have happened since I started this thread. The 18th was my boyfriend's 21st birthday. His mom offered to take him out for a couple drinks. She wanted to buy him his first legal drink. Okay, no problem. That's fine. So, we all went to the bar and my mom and sister joined us. Everyone drank except me. His mom also invited a few co-workers to the get together, and it kind of pissed my boyfriend off. He didn't want all kinds of people there. They of course got sh*tfaced, and kept asking me why I wasn't drinking. They would kind of laugh and snicker because I didn't even want to try a sip. It was really making me angry. I'm glad that Chris (boyfriend) had fun and everything, but I was miserable the entire time. I just didn't want to be there. The only reason I went, was because it was Chris' birthday and I didn't want him to think I didn't care about celebrating it, because I did. Drinking just isn't my way of celebrating. Maybe that makes me a loser, but I really don't care.

I often wonder if my choosing to not drink is because of convictions, or if it's because I'm scared to try anything new. What's a sip going to hurt, honestly? Or a drink or two? I'll be fine. Nothing drastic will happen. But I just...don't want to. Whether it's out of fear or not, I don't want to get stupid and intoxicated. I like having my inhibitions and control.

I was really upset with Chris, for some reason. He only had four drinks. He wasn't even drunk, just buzzed. And he said he didn't want to get drunk. He hates that feeling, and just wanted to have a couple with his mom. I know he did nothing wrong, but I still can't help but feel uneasiness about it. I guess I was just disappointed. I think I'd prefer to be with someone that doesn't consume alcohol at all. I know I shouldn't be upset with him. If anything, I should give him credit. Many people get crazy when they turn 21. All he did was go to the bar with his mom to have a couple drinks. He didn't get totally wasted with stupid friends like many people here do.

Also, Chris' mom made me a little mad that night. She told her family that she was only going to have one drink. She's supposedly this "good" Christian woman who can do no wrong. Chris' youngest sister, Cheyenne (she's 13 and practically my best friend) freaks out a lot. She's got problems with anxiety and depression and stuff. Of course, most of her family just doesn't understand it. So, they just don't tell her things if they know it will upset her. Masking her from real life issues is definitely a way to help her get over her fears! Yep!

Anyway, Chris' mom told everyone to keep it from Cheyenne that she was going to the bar, because she knew that she would flip out and get extremely upset. Well, Chey ended up finding out. Her mom tried to tell her that she was only having one drink and she'd be fine, but she still couldn't stop crying. Almost everyone there thought she was overreacting, but once I got to the bar and became really upset over Chris drinking, I felt that I could totally relate to Cheyenne's reaction. I just wanted to leave that bar, go back to their house, and be with Cheyenne. I just felt really lonely. This 13 year old girl was the only person that could truly understand where my feelings were coming from. The main reason why their mom made me mad that night, was not only because she was trying to hide the truth from her own kid, but because she had three drinks and two shots, when she told everyone she was only having one drink. Blah. I can't control what others do, and I don't want to. But sometimes their actions bother me. At least everyone had fun, though.

WHATEVER. Anyway. On to my replies:

Hellhound: thank you for agreeing with me. It ISN'T their business. You're right. I just wish people could understand that, though.

illumination86: I think being straight-edge is a good thing. I don't know if I could consider myself that, because I can't say that I would NEVER try something. I've considered trying weed before. I was really close to doing it a few times, but I chickend out. Now I'm to the point where I'm too scared and I just don't find it appealing anymore. Plus, with my panic attacks, I'm sure it would make my paranoia 100 times worse.

thao87: thank you. I really shouldn't feel bad about not drinking or doing anything else. Maybe it's commendable in a way? But maybe it depends on the person and situation, too. I think a big part of me not doing it is just fear. That's really nothing to be proud of, lol.

Tiercel: your post made me laugh. I liked it. It was enlightening. Thank you for that. :) I wish people were just...more accepting. Humanity makes me sad.

Anyway, I'd hate to make this a mile-long post. Especially since it's so pointless. But thanks again to everyone that replied. Much appreciated.

Last edited:

lonely_drummer

I don't drink either, but I used to drink a lot when I was younger. I got passed that a couple years ago, it really doesn't appeal to me at all. You just keep filling your stomach with this poison and then you feel like crap the next day. I do enjoy a little herb though and I always say, to each their own, as long as you aren't harming others(and maybe not messing yourself up too much either). That's definitely one thing I don't like is people judging me because I smoke pot and yet they'll turn around and guzzle down the booze and just do stupid things. I say whatever, don't drink, the people that have to resort to partying and getting wasted every weekend are just pissed because non drinkers can have fun without the booze.

LadyWench

I don't drink either, but I used to drink a lot when I was younger. I got passed that a couple years ago, it really doesn't appeal to me at all. You just keep filling your stomach with this poison and then you feel like crap the next day. I do enjoy a little herb though and I always say, to each their own, as long as you aren't harming others(and maybe not messing yourself up too much either). That's definitely one thing I don't like is people judging me because I smoke pot and yet they'll turn around and guzzle down the booze and just do stupid things. I say whatever, don't drink, the people that have to resort to partying and getting wasted every weekend are just pissed because non drinkers can have fun without the booze.

Loved your post. I'm glad you can understand where I'm coming from. I don't care if other people drink or do drugs, I just don't want to. Yet, I'm still teased by others that enjoy getting wasted. I think smoking pot is probably better than getting drunk. Although, I'm still scared to do it, lol.

jhanniffy

I've never drank alcohol - I guess I was lucky in school my friends didn't either so I never had the pressure, my best friends doesn't either still. When I turned 18 (legal age here)I was still in school and wasn't into the whole going out thing and I always hated pubs. My mother thinks I'm a bit of a freak (but I don't care). When I told people in college there where shocked but then kinda went well fair play to ya at the same time.

Part of the reason I still don't is because I'm scared to. I cant go out with people if I know they are going to get hammered as I just get FAR to uncomfortable (more of a safety thing than anything). Lucky I found a nice girl in college who respects that and does't drink too much when out with me. I'm grateful for that!

Waybuloo

To the people who are surprised at you wanting to stay sober, tell them that you dont' want to die of alcohol poisoning or liver failure, that you want to be able to focus your eyes when looking at people, and know what you are saying instead of talking gibberish. In short, ask the other person why they need to be drunk to have fun, are they that boring that they need to rely on alcohol?

There is nothing wrong with having a drink with your dinner to be merry, but the whole getting drunk and nothing but cultre is so shallow and unimaginative, not to mention the most pathetic behaviour to any onlooker. It's just unfortunate that those people can't think outside of the square, they get conditioned to think it's cool to drink, but hey at least have the decency to respect those that don't. Just take a sip and spit it back into the cup if you have to satisfy their pressures, dont' ever compromise yourself by getting drunk. Just grin and bear it, maybe observe what they say and do off their head and replay them in your head for your own amusement.

mrb

dont ever let people force or make you feel guilty cos you dont want to do what there doing , each to there own ;)

dean01

ive got drunk on about 3 ocassions when i was in my early teens, i felt pressured by the fact everybody else was doing it. i cant say it was a pleasureable experience, first thing i noticed was all alchohol tasted nasty, waking up with a hangover made me grumpy too.

recently i found myself in a similar situation, when i made contact with an old friend. she was trying to help me get some confidence back, but she seemed to think getting me drunk was the answer. i told her i didn't think it was a good idea and she said "how would i know, try it and find out", i refused and she said "what are you gay". i felt awkward and felt like maybe i should try it.

i said i would next time i went round to see her, that was 3 months ago and i wont be going round again. a close friend of mine has since told me that shes an alcoholic and was looking for a drinking buddy. my advice is do what you want and not what others tell you too, after all its your life!

mrb

ive got drunk on about 3 ocassions when i was in my early teens, i felt pressured by the fact everybody else was doing it. i cant say it was a pleasureable experience, first thing i noticed was all alchohol tasted nasty, waking up with a hangover made me grumpy too.

recently i found myself in a similar situation, when i made contact with an old friend. she was trying to help me get some confidence back, but she seemed to think getting me drunk was the answer. i told her i didn't think it was a good idea and she said "how would i know, try it and find out", i refused and she said "what are you gay". i felt awkward and felt like maybe i should try it.

i said i would next time i went round to see her, that was 3 months ago and i wont be going round again. a close friend of mine has since told me that shes an alcoholic and was looking for a drinking buddy. my advice is do what you want and not what others tell you too, after all its your life!

yep good advice there lol ;)

Felgen

I've been without alcohol for almost two years. Alcohol may help you get a foot inside the door, but unless you've got the proper social skills, the "friends" you make when you're drunk aren't going to be interested in you when they're sober. I reached the point where I couldn't go to a party or socialize with large groups without drinking; in the end, my anxiety had worsened.

After I stopped, both my health and my anxiety improved.

Ignace

I don't drink alcohol. I think it's ok to drink, but in my age category, everyone drinks and shows off with it. They think they're cool with it. I don't wanna participate in that so I don't drink.

Avery

I don't like to drink alcohol either, nor smoke or take drugs and I think it's much cooler that way ;) Plus I wouldn't give in to peer pressure anyways and wouldn't feel bad for denying to do those things. Don't feel bad for denying to do something bad!

illuminationSP said:
I really despise alcohol. I'm straight-edge and I've never tried alcohol, but it has played a terrorizing role in my life. I don't even like to see it.

^
I'm with them.

There are really only a handful of ways to be an utter failure in the world, and becoming an addict is one of them. Not every drinker is an alcoholic, of course, but good lord are they common.

Idiots will try and pressure others into drinking because, well, they're idiots, and that's a status that never wavers. Anyone whose definition of 'loser' is someone who doesn't regularly opt to regress to a todder-like level of balance, bowel control, and risk assessment is simply too stupid to be taken seriously.

dean01

^
I'm with them.

There are really only a handful of ways to be an utter failure in the world, and becoming an addict is one of them. Not every drinker is an alcoholic, of course, but good lord are they common.

Idiots will try and pressure others into drinking because, well, they're idiots, and that's a status that never wavers. Anyone whose definition of 'loser' is someone who doesn't regularly opt to regress to a todder-like level of balance, bowel control, and risk assessment is simply too stupid to be taken seriously.

it seems you know little about addiction, maybe you should read a book. ile think you'll find that everyone is addicted to something chocolate, caffine cigerattes etc. addiction is passed down through genetics ands can be caused by a chain of events much like sa.

knowledge is power.

Avery

it seems you know little about addiction, maybe you should read a book. ile think you'll find that everyone is addicted to something chocolate, caffine cigerattes etc. addiction is passed down through genetics ands can be caused by a chain of events much like sa.

knowledge is power.

Nothing you've written counterpoints anything in my post. You started off insulting, and then segued into listing facts that I don't disagree with, though you presented them as if I did.

I'll try and make this clearer for you: beyond any genetic influence on addiction, the fact remains that it's impossible to become addicted to a substance without first experiencing it. Given that addicts are a detriment to themselves and the people that love them, it's not a bad idea to avoid the more powerful addictants altogether, alcohol among them.

dean01

Nothing you've written counterpoints anything in my post. You started off insulting, and then segued into listing facts that I don't disagree with, though you presented them as if I did.

I'll try and make this clearer for you: beyond any genetic influence on addiction, the fact remains that it's impossible to become addicted to a substance without first experiencing it. Given that addicts are a detriment to themselves and the people that love them, it's not a bad idea to avoid the more powerful addictants altogether, alcohol among them.

yeah whatever! i may have been a bit irrate and your right i didn't clearly get my point across, but im not the one that called all addicts "utter failures". thats insulting!!
i hope you get the point this time!

Tuco

I have never drank alcohol in my life, but I know it tastes terrible because I've been pressured into drinking single shots before in family gatherings by people who probably wanted to make fun of me because they know I don't drink. I just don't understand why drinking is so popular all around the world. Where I live, if you don't drink at least a little in social situations, people will think you're a freak or a very religious person, or even say that you're not man enough (I don't know if they're serious about this). Maybe it's a good thing that I have a non existant social life, because if I ever got friends or a girlfriend, I can't imagine how they would look at me when I told them that I don't drink ever, not even a little bit in any occasion, they would probably think I'm an alien or something.

Ignace

I have never drank alcohol in my life, but I know it tastes terrible because I've been pressured into drinking single shots before in family gatherings by people who probably wanted to make fun of me because they know I don't drink. I just don't understand why drinking is so popular all around the world. Where I live, if you don't drink at least a little in social situations, people will think you're a freak or a very religious person, or even say that you're not man enough (I don't know if they're serious about this). Maybe it's a good thing that I have a non existant social life, because if I ever got friends or a girlfriend, I can't imagine how they would look at me when I told them that I don't drink ever, not even a little bit in any occasion, they would probably think I'm an alien or something.

Yeah the social pressure is hard to deal with. I think everyone drinks it to be 'cool'. Social society standards suck !

Avery

yeah whatever! i may have been a bit irrate and your right i didn't clearly get my point across, but im not the one that called all addicts "utter failures". thats insulting!!
i hope you get the point this time!

I know it's harsh language, but my experience with addicts (and there are all too many in my extended family) has not left me with much sympathy for their condition(s). It's too long-winded (and probably boring) to dive into, but I'll just say that the addictive personality correlates highly with many, many other faults, from dishonesty to promiscuity to selfishness. There are no doubt addicts who are simply good people with a problem, but in my opinion addiction is a symptom as much as a cause of ill-advised behavior.

It's not like heroin needles rain from the sky, making addicts of hapless passerby; you have to deliberately pursue and partake in practically all serious addictive substances.