Can anyone pinpoint HOW they got SP/anxiety?

Slytherin88

Can anyone pinpoint HOW they got SP/anxiety? Do you think it is nature or nurture?

I straddle both sides of the nature nurture debate. I know I have social phobia/anxiety from growing up in a small country town, where everyone knows everything and gossip rules..
Is this similar for everyone? Or do you think it's something genetic? No religious debates please.. Blergh.

SmileMore

I think some people are more genetically predisposed. My dad suffered from anxiety issues and both my sisters do too. My younger sister has SA like me and self esteem issues.

surewhynot

I think some people are more genetically predisposed. My dad suffered from anxiety issues and both my sisters do too. My younger sister has SA like me and self esteem issues.

Just wanted to point out that there is a problem with what you are implying. You are concluding that anxiety is likely genetically influenced because other members of your family also suffer from it. That logic is actually wrong. You have spent all your childhood with your parents and sisters, so the fact that you all suffer from anxiety could theoretically be explained by nurturing.

What you are saying would make sense if you had been adopted at birth, and once adult you find out that your biological parents and siblings also suffer from the same anxiety as you do.

By the way, I totally agree that anxiety is influenced by genetics, just wanted to point this out.

dottie

i think nature/genetic predisposition lays down a probable scale for you, then from there the nurture determines where you will fall within that scale.

SmileMore

Just wanted to point out that there is a problem with what you are implying. You are concluding that anxiety is likely genetically influenced because other members of your family also suffer from it. That logic is actually wrong. You have spent all your childhood with your parents and sisters, so the fact that you all suffer from anxiety could theoretically be explained by nurturing.

What you are saying would make sense if you had been adopted at birth, and once adult you find out that your biological parents and siblings also suffer from the same anxiety as you do.

By the way, I totally agree that anxiety is influenced by genetics, just wanted to point this out.

Actually, no. My sisters live with my dad and i grew up with my mum. :idontknow:

Ithior

I don't really know when it started, I've always had it for as long as I can remember. It wasn't much back when I was a kid, but I'd get anxious and often nauseous when going on school trips.
As I got older I became more aware of the things I couldn't do that other people could do just fine (for example, I couldn't pee with people next to me). In the past 4 years or so it got even worse, and using the same example I now need a really complex environment to manage to pee when I'm not at home, it's not simply about people next to me. I used to be able to pee just fine in the shopping centre and now I can't do it for example.

Even though it got worse I learned in the last couple of years what situations trigger what reactions and what I can do to minimize those reactions. It's not perfect but it helps a lot.

And no, I've never been bullied.

Severe Bullying. Pure and simple.

Before 8, I was what people would label as "normal".
After 8, hello social phobia.

If we had not moved and I had not attended that toxic school, who knows, I could still be "normal" today.:sad:

Bo592

:idontknow: I am not sure but what I think it was my family gossiping all the time behind each other back. I just did not want to be one of those people they talk about . I also had bad moment when I was in school too.

Slytherin88

Severe Bullying. Pure and simple.

Before 8, I was what people would label as "normal".
After 8, hello social phobia.

If we had not moved and I had not attended that toxic school, who knows, I could still be "normal" today.:sad:

I was bullied for all of my school years too, has contributed to it severely.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Not that I want to blame my mother for all my problems, but I grew up with her telling me over and over that I was worth nothing, that I was bad in everything I was trying to be good at, that I looked ridiculous, and that I should not associate myself with groups because I bring them down.

I guess it explains some things...

Zao

I had a bad behavior at my childhood then everyone hated me and at some point i begun to care about their punishments and i developed a terrible fear of making people feel uncomfortable, also i screwed up a soccer game and my schoolmates got mad and one of them pulled my nose. Things like that...

Zao

Also im ugly, not really ugly i think i appear to be different and weird.

Last edited:

Slytherin88

Not that I want to blame my mother for all my problems, but I grew up with her telling me over and over that I was worth nothing..

My mother grew up with a mother like this, and turned out opposite, wanted to prove her wrong and be the absolute best mother and person she could be to spite her, so I suppose it depends on which way you manifest that internally.