britney spears - unprogramming insincerity (with video)

dottie

when watching britney spears do interviews it appears she has social anxiety. the way she responds to questions is very generic, methodical, staged, repetative, and guarded. her unease is the elephant in the room. perhaps SA isn't the only factor, she does have a team of handlers with a list of things she is not allowed to talk about for the sake of avoiding blabbing something that might tarnish her image. but still, there is that unease, the walking-on-eggshells, that is painful to watch... and unfortunately i relate to it. as soon as i am around people my mind blanks out and often times my conversations are very limited with generic responses. it is fake and i do not like it but when i am around other people, especially strangers, i can't relax enough to "be myself". it is basically my last-resort coping mechanism, after all i don't want to be housebound. but this all stems from being raised to be overly polite, so much that manners took presidence over allowing any sort of personality/realness to show. how do you unprogram this? is there a way to unprogram politeness/niceness/(insincerity)?

Britney Spears - Repeatney! Huh? - YouTube
(btw, this video basically sums up the depth of any interview she's done.)

Vampayah88

I think that actress from Twilight, Kristen Stewart has social anxiety. I saw she's incredibly awkward on stage and I cringe watching her in interviews or on tv shows.

Mokkat

I think that actress from Twilight, Kristen Stewart has social anxiety. I saw she's incredibly awkward on stage and I cringe watching her in interviews or on tv shows.

she's not stuck in the world of sluttiness though, a route those old disney stars often take :)

Kristen's insecurity is part of her acting I think. From the stuff I remember, it does add to her performance in "Into the wild" and "adventureland"

pinata

Wait, Kristen Stewart and acting surely don't fit into the same sentence?

Anyway, these people might get anxious, I mean it's normal to have a degree of anxiety when doing interviews and whatever else, but someone with social phobia doing what they do? I don't think so!

Mokkat

Anyway, these people might get anxious, I mean it's normal to have a degree of anxiety when doing interviews and whatever else, but someone with social phobia doing what they do? I don't think so!

Weirdy is an actress, no? :)

It wouldnt surprise me if Britney had no say in her being in showbis, she has was in the mickey mouse club show when she was a kid, probably paced by her parents

Shyness

You're right. It may seem like all celebrities are confident and cool, but not every one can be outgoing and open- they're regular people at heart, too. I wonder how some celebrities handle being so famous and living with social anxiety! I would absolutely crumble under the pressure.

WeirdyMcGee

Oh yeah~ actors/performers are people too.

with anxiety disorders
social phobia
major depressive disorders
bipolar
and any disease and genetic fault you can think of.
Just because they're 'famous'- doesn't mean any of their problems or insecurities are fixed.
For the most part, becoming famous and being under the lens causes phobias and insecurities to come out more because they're being so carefully watched and scrutinized.

That's what PR's, assistants and agents are for, really.

dottie

it's true. she does suffer major anxiety. not to sound creepy but i see so much of myself reflected in her anxiety/awkwardness.

At the start of The X Factor tapings, Britney caused a stir after walking off the set in the middle of auditions for a “bathroom break.” Manager Larry Rudolph responded to the press: “What is everyone’s problem? Everything is fine. Britney loves being on ‘X Factor.” But Britney’s finally opening up and reveals she was having a panic attack and needed a moment to herself.

“(I was) extremely nervous. I was having panic attack after panic attack,” Britney says
in the new Elle issue.

Judge Simon Cowell adds: “On the first day, one hundred per cent she didn’t think she was going to be able to do this. It’s the Roman Colosseum – five thousand people booing if you say no. But I’m seeing this woman blossom week by week doing this. I think she’s going to be good for the show, and I think the show is going to be good for her.”

Bustn Justin

I see myself like Britney Spears. I had my major meltdown when she had hers.

I felt alone, trapped, and nobody understood me.

THeCARS1979

with anxiety disorders
social phobia
bipolar
Just because they're 'famous'- doesn't mean any of their problems or insecurities are fixed.
For the most part, becoming famous and being under the lens causes phobias and insecurities to come out more because they're being so carefully watched and scrutinized.

Yeah a ton of actors and actresses have had social anxiety besides Britney Spears, I think including Superstar Avril Lavinge, Benjamin Orr of the CARS, Robert Deniro , Jim Carrey, Michelle Phiefer, Lucille Ball, Adam Sandler and how about President Abraham Lincoln is said to have awkward social phobia. There are more actors , actresses and historical people on this list too. Axl Rose of Guns and Roses, and Jack Nicholson is said to have had Bi Polar disorder. When I seen this list i teared cause they were people i looked up to for years.

gustavofring

with anxiety disorders
social phobia
bipolar

I find those lists a bit rubbish though. It seems many on that list didn't have a serious depression but they just found a news article that stated they felt "depressed" for a little while. I mean for example Joseph Gordon Levitt is on the Major Depression Disorder! That guy is always sunshine.

Justin Timberlake social anxiety?

Of course you don't know what's going on beneath the surface, and their public persona isn't their real self necessarily, but some just seem a bit unlikely or exaggarated.

Last edited:

Facethefear

It is so obvious that Britney is in the wrong business but is being used by others to keep the money rolling in. As a semi-talented girl, she was pushed into performing on film in the MMC. I can see a huge difference between performing in front of a few crew members etc. and being able to stop filming and being live on camera. She does OK when performing and lip synching but cannot handle the other demands of fame even though all the people around must tell her she is doing fine. I think she is still under a guardianship and it is her current boyfriend. That could end badly. Where are her parents in all this? Simon Cowell should never have used her for his newest show to get the ratings with viewers waiting for Britney to act strange like Paula Abdul did many times. That man only cares about the money if he can't see her panic attacks as a reason to let her out of her contract. Poor Britney.

Bustn Justin

With the X Factor or American idol shows, the judges tend to be washed up and need to find work like Paula Abdul or need to revive thier career like Jennifer Lopez. Britney Spears in the pop/dance genre is still popular and don't see her going away anytime soon. I just think its too soon for Britney to be a judge on that show and just work on her music.

cowboyup

I've worked for a casting director, talent agent and have seen actors come and go. I have, myself went to school with Cuba Gooding, Jr and graded Thora Birch's school work (she was in independent study where I worked)

I also did a local commercial, auditioned for several tv shows, including In Plain Sight. No job - but goes with territory.

I know there are more "famous" people who have social anxiety, depression, BiPolar, etc. They have things that they are allowed to say, not say, and under tons of pressure and micro scrutinized for everything they do or say.

Personally, I've seen more people who have disorders such as ours than not. Sure there is nervousness when one auditions for a part, and there are some who can pull it off flawlessly.

There are a lot of actors on anti anxiety meds & anti depressants than people think.

Jenn Gotzen, one of our actors, had a 'stalker' of sorts come at her with a knife and now she can't sleep alone or in the dark and whenever we book her for something, she/we have to make sure there is a chaperone. Most people never heard of her but considering that, it must be really tough for some "real famous" ppl who have SA or the like.

cowboyup

sorry...me again.

I might add, that it sometimes appears that when people who have any discriminatory degree of anxiety, panic, depression, low social skills, low self esteem, etc. It appears that people tend to do well when they have a script to go by and can be someone else.

Hope that makes sense.

THeCARS1979

With the X Factor or American idol shows, the judges tend to be washed up and need to find work like Paula Abdul or need to revive thier career like Jennifer Lopez. Britney Spears in the pop/dance genre is still popular and don't see her going away anytime soon. I just think its too soon for Britney to be a judge on that show and just work on her music.

Hey her music is fine, her last album which i unfortunetely dont have yet, is great. She s been around since 1997 1998, even Avril Lavigne would have been a great judge , who didnt arrive till 2002. but i would rather them both work on their career in the music industry. However Nicki whatever her name is for American Idol, awful choice. Demi Lavato for XFactor is fine , I love the girl
but they could have been going for ratings with her. lol they should get a 5th judge, maybe Roger Daltrey

dottie

sorry...me again.

I might add, that it sometimes appears that when people who have any discriminatory degree of anxiety, panic, depression, low social skills, low self esteem, etc. It appears that people tend to do well when they have a script to go by and can be someone else.

Hope that makes sense.

yes, this makes sense. angelina jolie with a script comes off with a strong, convincing identity. when you see her in interviews, she seems like someone having an identity crisis, trying to keep it together... sometimes she pretends to be demure, sometimes she pretends to be edgy... not to say you can't be both... i just get this weird, inconsistent vibe. this isn't to criticize her, more so humanize her.

Bustn Justin

Personally I hate these reality shows. I am going to like who I like. Not becuase someone has the most votes.

dottie

bustn, no offense, you're kind of missing the point of this thread. no one's debating the quality of these shows/music/films. it's about certain celebs having anxiety issues, like us.