Black or White

How many people think the world is either Black or White, that is there are only two extremes to a situation, no gray?

Ignace

I was thinking of the song Black or White, lol. :) I do think there is also grey, maybe even yellow !

I ask because I was arguing with a friend about it. He believed that almost everything was black and white, with little gray. I believed that there was tons of gray with little black and white.

My argument is that there is way to many variables in any one thing and that even what seems black and white is murky and there is cross communication or leaks back and forth.

Danfalc

Banned
My Dad use to tell me when your young or naive you believe everything is black and white and clear cut and only as you get older do you realise there are many shades of grey.

My Dad was a plank and I hate the guy,but I think he was right about that.

nopark

I don't think anything is black or white. That's what makes life so hard, isn't it? :D

It's fun to read a book or watch a movie where there's such clear-cut choices. The hero always does The Right Thing and the villain always does The Wrong Thing. But it just never works that way...

Emily_G

Hmm that's a good question. I think I mostly see things as Black and White, either evil or good.

worrywort

interesting question. I tend to believe that there are black and whites to all situations if you just look hard enough. Kinda like a grey suit that looks grey from afar but as you get closer you see that it's made up of many black and white threads.

nopark

I really thought about this and something that I came up as black and white could be maths?
1 + 1 will always = 2 unless theres something else I'm not seeing haha

Hmm. I don't think that's a good analogy.

I'm sure you can think of even mundane cases where "wrong" things can be right under certain circumstances (Killing another human being is wrong, but what about in the defense of your own life?).

And there are many things that depend entirely on social custom and vary greatly between cultures or timeframes (there are periods in history where pedophiliac homosexual relations with young boys was normal and even expected--something we'd all agree is repulsive nowadays).

And there are even degrees of rightness. You can do The Right Thing, but what if you did more of The Right Thing? I can donate $10 to charity, or I can donate $20 (a simplistic example, I know).

Right and Wrong is an entirely man-made concept and is specific to everyone and is directed by context. I think it's impossible to say with certainty anything is right or wrong. We as a society agree on certain things (laws, social taboos etc), but there's always shades of gray we all consider.

Last edited:

coyote

I tend to believe that it's all mostly grey...or at least try to see things that way.

We only create problems for ourselves when we restrict our thinking to absolutes.

"Always" and "never" can be your worst enemies when you are trying to make your way in a world as complicated as the one we live in.

I just noticed that this was in the "Off Topic" forum....and I'm wondering if that's appropriate.

My guess is that many of the irrational fears and self-criticisms that hold us back are rooted in such restrictive black-and-white thinking.

Last edited:

nopark

Ah, I see what you mean now. Sorry, I was thinking the op was referring to moral absolutism and was reading into it from that context and missed your point.

Though interesting you bring up the case of being dead or alive since there are some deep philosophical debates surrounding what exactly it means to be alive :D The Yale lectures on death are very very interesting!

Last edited:

LadyWench

I think there are many, many grey areas in life. Not everything is certain or set in stone. I tend to have a black and white mindset when it comes to myself, though. Which does make me a hypocrite in some ways. But I'm a very self-deprecating kind of person. I see myself as either succeeding or failing. There's no inbetween for me. For other people, however, it's different. Very different, indeed.

It is or it is not.
Can be or cannot be.
First or Last.
Good or Evil.
Alive or dead.

I am that and more. Used to be black and white. Now, also realising potential to backfire, I am not.

Rembrandt Broam

Very few things truly are black or white, but I think we all have areas which we feel strongly or passionately about, and those are the ones that we personally see as black or white.