birthdays

man on the hill

birthdays, love em or hate em? I know they are suppose to be a special day but for me it seems like I dread my birthday every year. mines about a month away and i'll be turning 25. Most likely I wont be doing anything special, just get a few cards in the mail and from my family and maybe a little money. Honestly I dont even want anything for my birthday. I know it sounds weird but I just feel like I dont deserve or really need anything and dont want to trouble anyone with having to get me something. Id rather just take like a mini 1-day vacation and do what ever I want and just relax.

How does everyone else feel about their birthday?

Ms Cloud

As long as nothing bad happens on my birthday, I feel fine about it. My last birthday, my dog died.

So I hope my next one will be nice and uneventful...

I know it sounds weird but I just feel like I dont deserve or really need anything and dont want to trouble anyone with having to get me something.
That doesn't sound weird at all. Except maybe the "deserving" part. Birthdays have nothing to do with deserving. They're a reminder that you're special just for having been born.

Last edited:

MikeyC

Id rather just take like a mini 1-day vacation and do what ever I want and just relax.
Yeah, I agree here.

I don't like too much attention on my birthday. It's really just another day that I have to go to work or do my daily chores. It makes no difference to me now. When I was much younger I used to enjoy it more and I could hardly sleep, but now it's just nothing.

I'll be turning 26 in March next year. Yippee?

WeirdyMcGee

Birthday is just another day.
I do what I do every other day and maybe eat a piece of cake. The end.

haha

MrJones

My birthday is just like any other day. Sometimes I don't even know it is the day until my father or mother tells me (this year I didn't saw them until noon so I spend all morning without knowing it was my birthday >.>). Later, a couple of 2 minute calls from my grandparents of both sides. That's it, and it's fine, I don't want anything else.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I turn 24 in 4 months time. And I don't make a big deal of my birthdays. And I don't really like being reminded of the fact I'm getting older. As weird as that sounds.

ERose

Hateeeeeeeeeeeeee them.
Not the fact that I was born, I really do appreciate that :')
I just hate the attention, the expectations, the anxiety it ruins the whole thing. I'd happily just sit on a hill watching the moon and blow out a candle.

razzle dazzle rose

Birthdays make me anxious. There is all this expectation...and it is a letdown...The last birthday I had was horrible. I spent it with my family but they didn't really even want to be with me and it showed. I had planned for us to go to the zoo, I even bought the damn tickets for everyone myself. It was apparent they did not want to go so I said nevermind. I spent the day crying and feeling sorry for myself. I realized that for these things I need friends and my boyfriend living close to me...both of which I don't have. And it looks like next year will be the same...

Id rather just take like a mini 1-day vacation and do what ever I want and just relax.

Gifts are nice and all...but what I always want is to go out and do something, an experience...a vacation would be nice, but not by myself!

As long as nothing bad happens on my birthday, I feel fine about it. My last birthday, my dog died.

Aww, that is so sad. I am sorry.

I'll be turning 26 in March next year. Yippee?

My birthday is in March too! But I will be turning 29 -__-

coyote

i like presents

you all have until next july to shop for me

i'd like a new kayak - used would be ok, too

Silatuyok

I guess I'm the odd one out. I celebrate for pretty much my entire birthday month, and try to get as much out of it as I can. ::p:

Birthdays are kind of a big deal in my family. We tried toning down the celebrations for a while, but then we thought, what the heck, why not celebrate life now while we have the chance? It's so much better than waiting til your funeral for people to gather and remember you.

Last edited:

DeadmanWalking

My birthday isn't anything special; in fact, one could say that my birthday is irrelevant in that I do absolutely nothing on it. All I do is spend time with the family and celebrate it with them; I've never celebrated my birthday, not even my "sweet 16" (why it's important I'll never know), with anyone besides them because either I didn't have anyone else to celebrate it with and/or I felt that I was so unimportant that a birthday celebration is wasted on me.

I've got until next year to wait for my birthday and then I'll be a spright 20- year old::p:!

razzle dazzle rose

I guess I'm the odd one out. I celebrate for pretty much my entire birthday month, and try to get as much out of it as I can. ::p:

Birthdays are kind of a big deal in my family. We tried toning down the celebrations for a while, but then we thought, what the heck, why not celebrate life now while we have the chance? It's so much better than waiting til your funeral for people to gather and remember you.

I wish I could be a part of your family! ::p: In The Secret Life of Bees, the characters celebrate birthdays for the entire month too. Reading that made me wish for something similar. I would take a week of celebrating...even just the one day really :)

Silatuyok

I wish I could be a part of your family! ::p: In The Secret Life of Bees, the characters celebrate birthdays for the entire month too. Reading that made me wish for something similar. I would take a week of celebrating...even just the one day really :)

If you ever get the urge to live in the Midwest, let me know. We love to adopt newcomers as our own. Though I will warn you, you will probably be the tallest member of the family. :)

Ms Cloud

^ Yeah Dazzle, I can't help thinking your family sucks for being so unsupportive. That story about your last birthday was depressing as hell.

I think we all wish we could live closer to you!

Luka

Well my birthday "party" this year was awkward-y. So I doubt I want anymore of those.

MikeyC

Birthdays make me anxious. There is all this expectation...and it is a letdown...The last birthday I had was horrible. I spent it with my family but they didn't really even want to be with me and it showed. I had planned for us to go to the zoo, I even bought the damn tickets for everyone myself. It was apparent they did not want to go so I said nevermind. I spent the day crying and feeling sorry for myself. I realized that for these things I need friends and my boyfriend living close to me...both of which I don't have. And it looks like next year will be the same...
That sounds awful! After going to the trouble of buying the tickets for everyone to go and then them making it obvious they didn't want to...sorry, but that's so mean of them! It was your birthday!

I never host birthday parties, not even for my 18th or 21st. Not worth it.

My birthday is in March too! But I will be turning 29 -__-
Could we be birthday buddies!? March 28???

I'm happy that this works for you, but I would hate this! Haha. I couldn't handle so much celebration and I would want it to be very low-key. You would probably celebrate birthdays almost the entire year!

razzle dazzle rose

If you ever get the urge to live in the Midwest, let me know. We love to adopt newcomers as our own. Though I will warn you, you will probably be the tallest member of the family. :)

Aww...you are too sweet :) I am used to being the tallest in most groups so that would be fine! *hehe* ::p:

^ Yeah Dazzle, I can't help thinking your family sucks for being so unsupportive. That story about your last birthday was depressing as hell.

I think we all wish we could live closer to you!

I wish I live closer to all you guys! Sorry for being a downer. My family is pretty dysfunctional... The birthday thing is nothing compared to other things, but I am awfully sentimental about birthdays.

Could we be birthday buddies!? March 28???

Sure! My birthday is two weeks before yours, but that would still work. We should just celebrate all of March ;)