Arachnophobia or other phobias?

AlleyCat

Arachnophobia - The smaller spiders I don't mind, but the bigger ones scare me or poisonous ones like black widows and brown recluse spiders, I've seen quite a few black widows this summer.

Coulrophobia - I have a fear of clowns. They really freak me out.

I don't know if there is a name for this one, but I have a fear of public restrooms... ugh! I really hate them! I try to avoid using them if at all possible.

iamthenra

I don't know if there is a name for this one, but I have a fear of public restrooms... ugh! I really hate them! I try to avoid using them if at all possible.

Same here! HATE public restrooms, they're just gross!

Fear of heights is a biggy for me! Which is why a couple years ago, I went up on a ride at a local theme park called: "The power tower" which is all pneumatic and takes you straight up much higher than the water towers nearby and then accelerates you straight down... I still hate heights. I will never forget the memory of being up that high with no floor and just sitting on that seat with just a guard over your shoulders, looking out and seeing how high you really are... OMG!!! I'm freaking myself out just thinking about it.

LadyWench

I have more than one phobia but one thing that really sends me into panic is spiders. Australia is probably not the best country to live in with this fear. It’s been a while since I’ve had an encounter because we're just coming out of winter over here but this morning i saw one in my house and my whole body went into panic mode. I could hardly breathe! This was hours ago now and I 'm still really shaken up. I keep checking myself because i think one might be on me. I even check every room i go into first just to make sure it s 'safe'. Another thing I do is when i get into my car i look around to check it first because my biggest fear is that i will be stuck in the car with one. I would crash the car for sure if that happened. It's not the bite that i' m scared of it's the movement and the thought of them crawling on me. I heard that there is a course you can do to overcome this but it involves sessions with a live spider!! I could never do that! I know Arachnophobia is a common phobia but that doesn't make any easier to live with. Anyone else live with Arachnophobia or other phobias that trigger panic attacks? Have you tried any therapy to overcome it?

I have quite a few phobias, actually. Some are common, some are just plain strange. But I do suffer from arachnophobia, like you do. Anytime I see one, even if I KNOW that it isn't harmful, I still freak out. I definitely know where you're coming from. I fear the bite, but also the thought of them crawling on me. Ew. Just the thought of it really irks me.

My other phobias include: disease (OCD over this), vomiting, vomiting BLOOD. And others. These are things that bug me on a daily basis. The fear of them, I mean. I have tons of other FEARS, but I think these are my main phobias. So much fun. Har har.

NickyNacker

i have a roach phobia and a spider phobia. last year we had roaches in our house bad because we used firewood and they got in the house from the wood. i am terrified of them. if i see one, i can honestly start crying and screaming, and i run. the thing that scares me is how fast they are. and they're shiny and brown and ugly and they have those long legs. at night when i lay down to sleep all i can think about is what if one climbs onto my bed and crawls on me while i'm asleep. same with spiders! we have those huge brown wolf spiders sometimes in our house, and those scare me even more than roaches. they're the biggest scariest spiders i've ever seen (especially in my house) and they're so fast. :(

i also have phobias of dark deep water, and sharks. i cannot go into the water at the beach.

Last edited:

PennyLane

Yes i think its a fear of the unknown, of something strange that i cant see inside those deep, dark, endless holes. i get a strong urge to want to DIG DIG DIG DIG DIG into those holes and pull whatever is inside OUT!

i had a larvae infestation of my index fingert when i was 8-9 yrs old, and i could see the larvae writhing squirming crawling inside this small wound in my finger and these larvae heads were all poking out of the flesh...

OMG- i definitely have...in fact i couldn't look at the pictures you posted or even reeat them in a quote. They really disturb me!! I hate anything like this and the most awful word in the entire world in cluster!!!!!!!!!!!!! I hate clusters of lumpy things too.

Oh i feel ill

Jake123

Banned
Are you serious?????

Yeah, I just don't really like it... I don't "fear" it but I don't enjoy listening to it, and I get anxious when people are talking to me about music or ask me about music because I have absolutely no opinions on it. I just find music to be kinda annoying. I don't own a single CD or MP3 and I always have my computer on mute in case I go to a website that's blasting annoying music. lol
It just doesn't do anything for me.

PennyLane

Yeah, I just don't really like it... I don't "fear" it but I don't enjoy listening to it, and I get anxious when people are talking to me about music or ask me about music because I have absolutely no opinions on it. I just find music to be kinda annoying. I don't own a single CD or MP3 and I always have my computer on mute in case I go to a website that's blasting annoying music. lol
It just doesn't do anything for me.

Wow- i've never heard of this...it must be so hard to avoid.

Jake123

Banned
Yeah it's pretty much impossible to avoid because everyone else on the planet loves music lol... In fact I'm pretty sure melophobia is the only kind of phobia you couldn't find some kind of support group for. I've never met someone who doesn't like music.

I dunno but I get a headache if I hear music for too long, and it's hard to think. Can't concentrate at all when there's something playing. I think it screws up my sense of balance or something, for example I can't drive at all with the radio on. I had a lot of inner ear infections when I was a little kid, that might have something to do with it but who knows. I have normal hearing otherwise.

Also it's kind of ironic that even people who are completely deaf enjoy music and I can't.

I truly am alone in this world =P

Last edited:

Sinar_Matahari

Does anyone know what an Indian meal moth looks like? Well, during the summer, we have those little ****ers flying about and laying nasty caterpillar babies around the house. I've recently found out that they can eat through plastic and lay their eggs in rice. My husband almost cooked some of the rice until he noticed the webbing (I think this is what it is) that they leave. I made myself look at one of these little ****ers. I even let my kid hold on in her hand since I don't want her to be grossed out by them the way I am. I tried looking at it through a magnifying glass and I freaked out. It was a bit disturbing but I'm proud of myself for having had the courage to sit and observe the nasty little bastard. I bet you all think I'm a dumb-ass for having this fear. Everyone else seems to be afraid of spiders and I don't think they're freaky at all.

Flowers-Of-Bloom

My personal favourite?

Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia- Fear of long words.

I have massive phobia of house lizards and also Trypophobia (fear of deep, tightly clustered holes).

Trypophobia is a very recently classified phobia, so not many people are aware of it. If the following images give you goosebumps or a skin-crawling feeling, then you might have this phobia:

255739t.jpg

trypophobia.jpg

lotusplant1.jpg

Note that this phobia applies only to deep holes that are clustered very close to each other.

ARGH!

NO!

Expecially the first two pictures... I can't look at it.
I've always hated clusters of bubbles too. They look horrible. I can't explain it.

I am also an arachnophobic living in Australia. We have common occurrences of the White-tailed spider, which are very fast... dark... long legged... and sometimes quite big...

"White-tailed spiders wander about human dwellings and may be encountered unexpectedly" !

"Of the 130 cases studied by Isbister and Gray, more than 60% of the victims had been bitten by spiders that had got into clothing, towels or beds." !

They're horrible.
There was a big one on my face when I was a child.
And it was my birthday that day.

3times

I get BAD panic/anxiety attacks when it comes to the adult roaches. Ugh. Don't know the name for it.