Apologizing

MikeyC

I am a very apologetic person and the word "sorry" probably tops my most used words, which probably does annoy some people. I have to learn not to say sorry, particularly in times when situations are not my fault/out of my control.

Who here says sorry a lot? What are your thoughts on people apologizing to you, or you apologizing back?

Feeling_Nothing

I say it a lot too, not sure why though I always feel like I'm either a burden/annoying the person I'm talking to and if they suddenly seem quiet or act weird I just say sorry.

I should stop doing that I guess...when people are like that to me? I just say no worries, not your fault because I don't want them to feel bad about what they said...

Srijita52

I say it a lot too. I probably say sorry a million times everyday. I've always been told that I need to stop apologising when its not my fault. But I just can't. I don't know why, maybe its because of my tendency to avoid conflicts or being criticised. I definitely should stop doing it though. I also say sorry at times when someone apologises to me lol.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I am a very apologetic person and the word "sorry" probably tops my most used words, which probably does annoy some people. I have to learn not to say sorry, particularly in times when situations are not my fault/out of my control.

Who here says sorry a lot? What are your thoughts on people apologizing to you, or you apologizing back?

Yeah, I do this as well. Heck, I even find myself apologizing for merely being honest, sometimes.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I say sorry a lot, I'd rather that than invoke some sort of confrontation or something. Or, I give non-verbal sorry's a lot, like it I bump into someone I may say sorry, or I may look up mouth it but have no words come out, panic, do a stupid wave and nod and then keep walking, because I'm smooth like that :cool::rolleyes:

One thing I do think I say to much is thank you though, I say it all the time and I think most of the time it's unnecessary. It's usually how I end any sort of formal interaction, and I'll repeat it three or 4 times sometimes if the other person keeps saying things. "so we're all set here" "ok cool thank you" "Here's you key" "thanks" "and now I'm off to my appointment" "alight bye thanks" Maybe a little rude, but I get excited when a conversation is about to end ::p:

Iluv

Yes! Almost the first word when I assume I did something wrong is 'sorry'. I just always take it that it is my fault. Even if I didn't do anything I am the first one to jump up and apologize.
Even sometimes I am way too scared to even say sorry.

WeirdyMcGee

Well, apologizing doesn't make anything better but I do it because I feel sometimes there's nothing else to say.
There's alot to be sorry about in the world but not much that saying sorry can actually fix.
But I say it as often as I feel the need to.
Plus, it's only good manners- please, thank you, sorry, etc.

... but there is such thing as being 'too' apologetic. I guess sometimes you can say sorry-- and sometimes you just have to bite your tongue and say nothing at all.

cosmosis

I'm kinda the opposite too. I might do alot of wrong things in my life, but causing some kind of pain or hurt to another is the one thing I spend all my time and energy trying to prevent. So it is very hard for me to say I'm sorry if something goes wrong.

MrJones

Plus, it's only good manners- please, thank you, sorry, etc.
Yeah, that's how I was raised.
I say it whenever I feel I have to, sometimes people say I do it even if it's not my fault, I don't really care. I'm so sorry for a lot of things, and for some I'll never be forgiven and there is nothing I can do. Sometimes saying sorry has made things worse for me.

ohheybbyitscorixx

I tend to say sorry a lot when I can't stand up for myself. If I am truly sorry about something, I try to change my actions to show that I am sorry.

MikeyC

I always say sorry. Maybe too much, I'm trying to cut down. It's one of those things in which its annoying if you say it too much, and annoying if you don't say it all.

I say it at work a lot whenever I have to ask people to send me things I need, because I feel bad for pestering them, but... hmm. I'd rather do that than sound pushy and bossy.

It's trying to find a happy medium I guess, and only saying it when you need to.
I'm trying to cut down, too, but I forget about it sometimes. A good medium is the way to go.

Every now and then someone will call me out for saying sorry, so I say sorry for saying sorry too much. :rolleyes:

Aletheia

I apologize constantly; I think I'm apologizing for my existence.

People have given me much stick for this over the years.

Excuse me I have to blink. *blink*

I'm very aware that as a species we're very imperfect and therefore should expect some friction and annoyance from.. Oh excuse me, here I go again. *blink*
.. each other. Apologizing for it unless it's something significant is equally as redundant as mentioning every time you have to blink.

Achem. *blink* [Okay, I'll stop now. Mentioning it, not blinking itself. Don't be silly.]

I guess it's kinda impulsive to be on the safe side all the time. That when something bad is said, at least a due apology would soon follow. While the ironic part is that many people tend to get annoyed when someone apologizes too much. It makes them feel like they make you feel like you've done something wrong.

StandingJelly

Wow! That sounds just like me. Once (or twice/thrice) I said the word even if I don't have to, it was the other person's fault - i ended up being the one embarrassed. Sometimes the word just comes out my mouth like a spinal reflex!

Last edited:

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I know someone like this, one of my best friends. Whenever he says sorry, I want to hug the living hell out of him. It's so cute.

I obviously let him know there's nothing to apologize for, but I can't help but going "D'AWW" inside.