Anyone else find their own family annoying sometimes?

nightcrawler

I don't see most of my family much, apart from my parents who I see once a week (I live on my own). However even them I find quite annoying sometimes. WTF is wrong with me? They sometimes try ringing me over stupid little things. Or when I visit my dad will often be overly happy/joyful/chatty...basically annoying. And I find it hard to feign happiness if I'm not happy! Is my own miserable life affecting my family relationships? I know this is a sign of depression. They also often want to do family things together, and even though most of the time I'm not interested (cos of my SA) I end up going just to keep the peace ::(:

Anyone else feel like this with their own families?

insecuregaga

It's sad I have the same problem and I never go out with them because I find them embarrassing and our personalities and experiences are worlds apart which only adds to this. I know I'm EVIL but I can't help it.

Invisibleman

yeah I hate going out with my family too. But they annoy me the most when I want my space and they wont leave me the heck alone,especially when my sister comes home to visit theyre all so happy and cheery and they want me to join in on whatever theyre doing.and my sisters boyfriend comes home too and his family comes over and theres like 100 people that I want no part of:D

maiato

Banned
It's sad I have the same problem and I never go out with them because I find them embarrassing and our personalities and experiences are worlds apart which only adds to this. I know I'm EVIL but I can't help it.

Same here. Cant control myself! Feel ****ing monster but can do it different! More than that i just leave with my mother. And she want to be like a pet...go for a walking with her! Well i just cant support that!

Phoenixx

I definitely find my own family annoying at times. And sometimes it's not even them, it's just me. I can get irritated quite easily over the simplest of things: them coming into my room when I want to be alone, when my brother tries talking to me about stuff that he's obsessed with that I don't even like, even seeing my mom's outgoing personality ticks me off. It's just that I'm so different from my brother and my mom (my dad is basically the only one I can relate to), it's kinda hard to relate sometimes. Not to mention the teasing, but we won't go there. :rolleyes:

Of course I usually feel guilty for snapping at my family, especially my parents. But I try not to beat myself up over it. They've had their days, I've had mine.

insecuregaga

Same here. Cant control myself! Feel ****ing monster but can do it different! More than that i just leave with my mother. And she want to be like a pet...go for a walking with her! Well i just cant support that!

Hmmm... I'm a bit more nicer to my mom though she's the better of the two and like all mothers do so much selflessly, the last thing I want to do is place a society of strangers over her just because of their feelings.

anomicdeer

I know how you feel.
I was never really close to my family. My mom always talk about how someone could be a "cousin" in the family. It's annoying. She think we are related to everyone. I don't even talk to her like a friend or anything. Other people talk to their family like they are frinds are really close and that is something I never had.

I don't even care to be close to them. I'm different from them just like people at school or anywhere else. I'm away from them finally and I don't miss them one bit.

WeirdyMcGee

It's normal for you to find your family members annoying- but you're still obligated to be there for them. haha

My grandpa on my mother's side is incredibly old fashioned, ignorant, sexist and racist... very, very racist.
When I was a child, he'd constantly yell at me for having different coloured skin, because I'm of native descent on my father's side and as a child I was quite brown. Now, I'm very pale because I have health problems, so he doesn't say anything directly to my face anymore.
I can not stand to be in the same room with him for more than 10 minutes because every word out of his mouth is offensive to me... but I can't say anything because he's old and could keel over at any moment.

I prefer to live on my own.
For now I'm stuck with my mother- otherwise I'd be homeless or dead; but we get along okay. Much better than my extended family, anyways.
That's just the way it works.
Cutting yourself off from them permanently will probably weigh heavy on your conscience for the remainder of your life if that's the way you decide to deal with things... but it's better to face your problems... and sometimes better to just bite your tongue and remember; "you don't get to choose your family."

R3K

my parents bug the crap out of me... my voicemail is always full of messages of my mom asking about financial or health things and i just listen to the first few seconds of the messages then delete them cause it's the same old pointless worry-mongering:mad:. i can text with them, because it doesn't require talking, but i always keep my messages short and rare. they're like a bunch of over-controlling micro-managing dictators who want to meddle with and be updated on every aspect of my life:confused:.

Phoenixx

My brother and I are as opposite as brothers can be. The way my brother acts bothers me a lot because it's usually the opposite of how I'd act.
^ My brother and I are polar opposites too, in both physical appearance and personality. People don't even realize we're related unless one of us tells them. He's pretty talkative (except in school. Not sure why he was so quiet there. Probably cuz he hated it so much. :rolleyes:), loves to go out, likes to be loud, loves partying, etc. Whereas I'm really quiet/shy, I really don't care for going out, I hate loudness most of the time, and my idea of fun is just reading, watching tv, anything to be spending time alone, not partying.

Appearance wise, he's tan and has dark hair, hazel eyes, and he's average height. I have pale skin, brown hair (Only because I dyed it. It's naturally dark blonde), blue eyes, and I'm 6 inches shorter than him.

Now that I think about it, I'm probably just adopted. :rolleyes:

scaredme

I do.. I don;t like my parents.. They don;t have any friends.. They don't go out anywhere...nor do they let me be.. They always overprotect me... i hate it.. I have become like this because of them.. I don;t want to live with them.. but i am too scared of living with someone else also.. I don;t know what to do..

mikebird

Banned
As with religion, family always want everyone to be the same as the rest, and rely on them, as they rely on you.

I see it as pathetic, and I just want to take my own path, and be independent. Having help on offer is not what I want.

I've become remote from my family - by location and other factors, and that seems to displease them.

mikebird

Banned
my parents bug the crap out of me... my voicemail is always full of messages of my mom asking about financial or health things and i just listen to the first few seconds of the messages then delete them cause it's the same old pointless worry-mongering:mad:. i can text with them, because it doesn't require talking, but i always keep my messages short and rare. they're like a bunch of over-controlling micro-managing dictators who want to meddle with and be updated on every aspect of my life:confused:.

This has really been one the worst aspects of life. Without constant communication, every day, my family assume I have terrible problems. I wish they could see the inverse, and wait for me to tell them, trusting that all is fine by default. This has always put me off being a parent. It also goes hand-in-hand with equivalent rejection from relationships and working relationships - paranoia...

What's the "how are you?" phrase about? Ping... I'll tell you when I have news. Tell me yours. Do people think I'm hiding something? Worst scenario would be death, and it might take a while to find out.

emre43

They annoy me all the time. They barely have to say anything to wind me up. And I hate going out with them as well because I find it embarassing.

MaliceInWickedland

To me, my mom's my only true family. The others were never much of a "family" to begin with. We've always been used by them. They only call us when they need something or to simply let us hear their stupid sob stories because my grandmother isn't here anymore to be their shoulder to cry on. We were the ones who always had to comfort them, but when my mom and I needed to be comforted we were ignored and left in the dark by them. They didn't even offer my mother any help when my father died. All they offered were fake tears and half-assed condolences. Wow, the list just keeps going on... So yeah, can't call them a family if they've never acted like one.

chrisjurban

i get angry at my mom a lot. it's difficult to control sometimes. she has issues with ocd and some other tendencies that cause her to explode frequently, make communication difficult and conversations nearly impossible. so even when she's nice, i can get angry because i expect that at any possible moment she will enter obsession-mode and "leave the room."

Thankfully I don't have to have any contact with my extended family anymore they were basket cases.
My sister has contributed to my SA with her verbal abuse/critical nature over the years. Being around her feels like being rubbed up a cheese grater :s