Anybody else find your own b-day depressing

Silentknight

So it's that dreaded time of the year again my birthday has reared it's disgusting head once again and now I'm depressed. 2011 will be my last year as a teenager and I have yet to experience any of the good things so many others experience everyday, never been loved, never went to a party, never had anyone who was happy to see me, no being tackled by a running hug (oh how jealous I am of those who can brighten the day up for someone so much that they are assaulted with a hug) I'm sorry if this sounds like pity me type post I just I don't know.

coyote

I'm 46 - I'm still having birthdays

they all haven't been great - some have

sometimes i get presents - that's cool

sometimes life doesn't meet our expectations

sometimes it exceeds them

Last edited:

Confuseddd

holidays and birthdays make my anxiety worse

Recieving gifts,
buying gifts,
Lots of family,
More pressure to be..."normal?" ( by that i mean cheerful and upbeat)
bla bla bla, im no scrooge, so i'll attempt to put on a facade

smile and wave... :)

Aussie_Lad

These days it's just another day for me. You are only as old as you feel, so as long as you feel young and a pysically fit, then it doesn't matter how old you are.

zav943

The worst part for me is that I have absolutely no one to spend my birthday with.

Social-E-Aukward

So it's that dreaded time of the year again my birthday has reared it's disgusting head once again and now I'm depressed. 2011 will be my last year as a teenager and I have yet to experience any of the good things so many others experience everyday, never been loved, never went to a party, never had anyone who was happy to see me, no being tackled by a running hug (oh how jealous I am of those who can brighten the day up for someone so much that they are assaulted with a hug) I'm sorry if this sounds like pity me type post I just I don't know.

I've been there... what am I saying, I am there. My birthday's in just the next few days and I keep finding myself wishing it was over with. last year, I ditched my family because I didn't want to be home. (Complicated, but someone I didn't like was coming over and the one thing I asked for was that they not come over on my birthday) The day just makes me feel bad in general... like another year's gone and my life hasn't been any more fulfilling. I'm going out on Sunday with my only close friend, but I've had the horrible feeling that it might just be better if I stay home instead. I WANT to go out and I WANT to have a good time... I'm nervous that something unexpected will happen. I'll find myself out of my comfort zone and I'll freeze up and ruin the whole experience... augh. ::(:

Anyway, I don't think you're the only one who feels that way. There are tons of people who get depressed around their birthday. Yours is by far the most common reason I'm aware of.

Last edited:

DanFC

My birthday's in exactly a week, and I'm feeling exactly the same :( Well actually this one I'm at least kind of looking forward to since it means I can start buying booze and get some licenses for things I've been waiting for.

But yeah, the feeling is still there. I've done so little of the fun things people my age have experienced. Compound that with the fact that I am continually hearing this year of my classmates having huge parties with lots of people and crazy times for their big 21, while I myself am going to celebrate my birthday with exactly no one, I do get depressed as that symbolic day draws near.

EscapeArtist

yepp. Birthday is square in the middle of Najuary <--- Ha! January**. Yay....... I think that Birthdays are more for the parents to celebrate, not the child

christa

Yep I dread my birthday alot, every year it's boring when i want it to be special. Mine is in a few weeks actualy..

Social_Monstrosity

Yes I have just under 5 months till I'm 20 and yet I feel like I'm turning 60. There is literally NOTHING I'm looking forward to once I turn 20 and considering that I feel like I wasted my teenage years I just get more and more depressing year by year.

On the plus side I can say that I'm two decades old now :D That makes you sound falsely older than 20 :p

realities

this year's birthday I only had some customary facebook "happy birthday!"s that ends in 3 words, 3 hours of my bf's time and prolly 1 or 2 birthday smses. Gosh. I dread next year's one.

Asherah

I dont celebrate my birthday anymore, because it makes me really anxious. Have to talk to my parents, brothers, parents in law, sisters in law... Its horrible, why should i have to celebrate my birthday if im only having panicattacks? So i quit doing it about 4 years ago.

Ignace

Oh good, god ... my 18th birthday is coming closer ... Anyone expects me to give a party, go out, whatever ... Luckily most people forget my birthday cause it's the day after New Year. (that makes 2 January, lol) But some of them, remember it because of New Year ..::(:

overcome.

Come to think of it, I have found my last few fairly depressing. Last years was one of the worst. I was deep into depression and didn't want to see anybody. I went out, got some food, came back and sat in on my own, going to bed early. I think looking back, I remember wanting isolation from people. Normally, I guess it'd be the opposite on a birthday, for most.

Feathers

Yes, it can be stressful and depressing, yup.. Like New Year's or such..

don't particularly like my numbers anymore either.. :confused:
feel much younger lol..

It's so interesting to read all the responses - too much or too little contact can both be stressful, lol! Yup! And if it's not the right people or environment..

Honestly I prefer no gifts and no fuss if it's not the right people or if the gifts are just, uhm, waste.. Sometimes it's much more eco to get nothing, lol.. Or to just not celebrate it or celebrate it in alternative ways.. (eg go somewhere nice or interesting.. a friend of mine often goes hiking to celebrate, sometimes with a friend or alone.. says it recharges her batteries..)

I asked my family for a 'zero waste week' last year, that was kinda stressful too, but fun! And this year I asked for 'no gifts' and another zero waste week later on.. (we're still renovating, so when that's over bwuahaha!! They're already scared!!)

Who says what's the 'proper' reason or way to celebrate anyway?? People can celebrate in LOTS of different ways..
And who wants to spend a fortune for people to get drunk and eat unhealthy food, hmm? (and possibly further their alcohol or diabetes problem etc)

You guys are still young!! And can still make lots of stuff happen!! Twenties are the new 'teens' anyway!! :) And thirties are the new 'twenties' sort of.. and so on!!

Even our neighbours says she's YOUNG!! (around 55+!)
And my Grandma used to feel 70 years old YOUNG!! (And partied more in her retirement age than all her life before!!!)

So there can be LOTS more interesting and intriguing birthdays, even if they're slightly funky and offbeat!! :)

I think Bday parties are fun, see my family and friends..
But at the same time it's hard for me to be in the middle of attention
But I like celebrating a special day.:D