work feels fake

Clown

I dont know what it is, but it just feels so fake to me working.
forced to work with a bunch of strangers, and the work doenst matter which job
I never get the feeling : oh im contributing something to society...
I dont really give thing about that crap...working for a company feels rewarding... I dont get it... It feels only rewarding for me if im the company owner.

Maybe im a little bit egocentric or the anxiety made me...my gad makes me think I need to make no mistakes.. but the other me thinks just let burn the whole place down and I dont give a thing as long as I get my money.
I dont get it how people can be around strangers all day long with out being friends and still get the rewarding feeling for working for a company.

fpr me I refer them as sheeps, only people like donald trumph , richard brandson and that sort of people are real indepent thinkers like I am

she1slander

I dont know what it is, but it just feels so fake to me working.
forced to work with a bunch of strangers, and the work doenst matter which job
I never get the feeling : oh im contributing something to society...
I dont really give thing about that crap...working for a company feels rewarding... I dont get it... It feels only rewarding for me if im the company owner.

Maybe im a little bit egocentric or the anxiety made me...my gad makes me think I need to make no mistakes.. but the other me thinks just let burn the whole place down and I dont give a thing as long as I get my money.
I dont get it how people can be around strangers all day long with out being friends and still get the rewarding feeling for working for a company.

fpr me I refer them as sheeps, only people like donald trumph , richard brandson and that sort of people are real indepent thinkers like I am

well, I hate to break it to you but yes, it is egocentric because now your mind is focused on yourself, your ego, not the job. People who are not focused on their egos are less likely to give up because they are focusing on the tasks they need to do. Right now I think you're more focused on your emotions and what you feel about what's happening. Mind if I ask what is it that you do in your job?

dottie

"work" is a euphemism for modern slavery. people just don't like to admit it.

don't quit your job, though. as you said, it's going to have the same unrewarding, unfulfilling feeling no matter where you go... moreso if you are working for a big corporation. just suck it up and do it. no offense but it's what we all must endure.

John Lennon - Working Class Hero - YouTube

WORKING CLASS HERO

As soon as you're born they make you feel small
By giving you no time instead of it all
Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all
A working class hero is something to be

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
Till you're so ****ing crazy you can't follow their rules

When they've tortured and scared you for twenty-odd years
Then they expect you to pick a career
When you can't really function you're so full of fear

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see

There's room at the top they're telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill

If you want to be a hero well just follow me

-John Lennon

Lea

Banned
"work" is a euphemism for modern slavery. people just don't like to admit it.

don't quit your job, though. as you said, it's going to have the same unrewarding, unfulfilling feeling no matter where you go... moreso if you are working for a big corporation. just suck it up and do it. no offense but it's what we all must endure.

John Lennon - Working Class Hero - YouTube

WORKING CLASS HERO

As soon as you're born they make you feel small
By giving you no time instead of it all
Till the pain is so big you feel nothing at all

They hurt you at home and they hit you at school
They hate you if you're clever and they despise a fool
Till you're so ****ing crazy you can't follow their rules

When they've tortured and scared you for twenty-odd years
Then they expect you to pick a career
When you can't really function you're so full of fear

Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and classless and free
But you're still ****ing peasants as far as I can see

There's room at the top they're telling you still
But first you must learn how to smile as you kill
If you want to be like the folks on the hill

If you want to be a hero well just follow me

-John Lennon

Good answer, great lyrics. I didn´t even know this song.
Btw I don´t think it´s egoistic to not like boring and uncreative jobs. That said it doesn´t mean if you don´t like it you don´t bother doing it right, you can be a perfectionist but still hating what you do.

Section_31

I have to agree.

As ive said in other posts, im very good at compartmentalizing. Nobody at work knows the "real" me, at least not untill very very recently when a select few caught glimpses of who i really am. I DO put on a fake and professional front at work, because i can be quite terrified inside, but i highly doubt anyon would really get it. So i fake it, because i dont want the attention.

I do a good job, i make money to survive.

Contributing to society?. I never believed i could do that through the worklpace, i just see work as a necesary evil needed to survive.

I believe in contributing to society in other ways, like helping someone if they obviously need it, like tha girl in the broken down car on monday. Or being an ear and shoulder for a close friend who needs it.

OceanMist

Ha, I like this thread because it brings what most people think about employment to the surface. I thought the movie, Office Space, was a great example of what the OP is feeling.

For the majority of folks, childhood dreams are never reached. All my friends including myself wanted to be professional athletes and none of us achieved that, or ever will. What happens is that most people wind up doing a job that suits them and pays well enough, not a job that they love. Whenever someone tells me they love their job I don't believe them unless they have one of those rare jobs that are fun.

Take me, for instance. I work flower delivery, my main duty is to deliver flowers to businesses or peoples' houses. There is nothing rewarding about my job. I was asked a couple times by customers if I enjoyed how happy many people are when they see they are getting flowers. I don't enjoy that. I don't care about them. All I care about is maintaining this job so I can get a paycheck. That's it.

Any other job I've had is the same. Jobs are just a paycheck to me. I've never liked any job I've had and I've worked 15 different jobs. I don't understand how people say they found their passion, I don't see how that's possible. 95% of jobs suck imo. They are all just a grind for money so you can live and have something to do.

As you can see, I don't like work. I just do it because I have to if I ever want money. I think a lot of people in the world are like me with that thought, just many refuse to admit it.

Aletheia

no self

People who are not focused on their egos are less likely to give up because they are focusing on the tasks they need to do.

Very insightful.

I think this is part of my problem. I can't see past my fear to see clearly what needs to be done. I don't focus on the job, I focus on what it says about me, so I can never be comfortable about either it or my performance.

I need to focus more on the world and less on myself.

gustavofring

Re: no self

well, I hate to break it to you but yes, it is egocentric because now your mind is focused on yourself, your ego, not the job. People who are not focused on their egos are less likely to give up because they are focusing on the tasks they need to do. Right now I think you're more focused on your emotions and what you feel about what's happening. Mind if I ask what is it that you do in your job?

Are there any techniques to "let go off the ego"? Maybe meditation?

I think my ego is part of what makes me anxious, a lot of this stems back from childhood and teenage years when people were really harsh on me, and I believe that has bruised my ego so much that I am always walking on my toes to be "perfect" without accepting who I am. To let go of judgemental feelings of myself and others. It feels great to let go off it, and to truly focus on the outside world and my work, but it's hard to achieve.

doesit

I could easily see where the anger is steaming for work,as no one likes to be (slaves) for others.But the truth is no one forces you to do anything,but in the same manner don't expect anything as well,as all life is based on money and earning it to have those few enjoyable free moments in life where money gives you pleasure or stuff that you can afford.Now be free to make billions using your head if you like,as far as i know all of them people had to work some amount be it physical or mental to get where they are :rolleyes:

OceanMist

If the OP is egocentric for just wanting money only out their job, then so am I, along with the majority of the people in the world. Most people work for money to pay bills, that's about it. I don't see how that's egocentric, especially for people trying to feed families.

There is nothing wrong with just working for money. I'm starting to wonder if the words selfish and egocentric are words that society now uses to make people feel bad about going for what they want.

Not once have I ever considered how I'm helping people while at work. I could care less about those people, as they probably do what I do, work so they can make money.

Kiwong

I can even enjoy work at times. In the end it is the thing that helps pay the bills so I can enjoy adventures on the weekends

monkeyman

Hey everyone. First of all, I highly recommend to read the book Think and Grow Rich for anyone that does want to learn more about at least trying to get a job that is rewarding to you, or really if you want to reach any goals at all. It's the best book I've ever read.

One thing I've tried to do with work is to find a way to enjoy what I'm doing. I might not feel like I'm contributing something great to society or feel comfortable and friendly with everyone at work. But if I can get into what I'm doing and find a way to enjoy it I have found that I am happier not just at work, but with life. Sometimes that means ignoring other people's comments, thoughts, opinions, or beliefs at work and just focusing on what I'm doing and trying to do a good job so that I am proud of what I do and enjoy doing it.

I guess another thing I've done is try to find a couple people to connect with. Sometimes certain types of people can be so loud and always giving their opinins that we think everyone is like them, but there are a lot of good people out there if we take the time to find them. For me, it's exhausting trying to be everyone's friend at work, like some people want you to be. Instead, I focus on enjoying what I'm doing, but also connecting with a couple people one on one that I like and that accept me as I am, and that I want to brighten up their day a little too. And I'll try to ignore and stay away from people that I don't want to be around.

Richey

all the dreaming when you're younger of have a rewarding career is essentially a load of crap unless you become a successful musician or actor, director, sports star etc. except in certain cases. There are some careers that are truly rewarding as well , but the majority is a production line with cliques and game playing whether you're in an office or a factory etc.

you grow up believing that love, marriage, health, hobbies can be placed as high importance but you realise that in reality the world is about money, you are a slave to the money, you work and live so you can earn a wage. it all comes down to business, supply and demand and making money. those bits of paper and metal in your accounts and wallets are what controls peoples lives and often peoples state of mind. people react differently to the expectation of earning. people also feel pinned down to classes which isolates people into boxes, that can be a huge problem and is.

ever noticed how because the world of business and companies is essentially a competitive one that it makes it hard to work together to find solutions and to create better standards and systems? because that is the nature of business, you apparently have to be better then your competitors instead of working together with ideas. in some cases. so its the us vs them nature of monopoly that also plays a factor.

hopefully this crisis in europe makes people realise what is most important and that is friendship, empathy and laughing.

Last edited: