Why are people so quick to correct others mistakes

sigh

Why do people keep reviving old threads?

Especially ones which read tbh (and I say this in the nicest possible way) passive aggressive where basically everybody on the forum (it being a social phobia forum) probably thinks they're the ones being targeted.

If somebody has a problem with someone else they should sort it out between themselves without involving the entire forum.

end rant.

KiaKaha

Banned
^ If people want to respond to threads, let them. People may have come here from a google search and wish to contribute or express themselves on whatever topic they please. If you don't like the thread, or have a problem with the content of the thread - ignore it.

Last edited:
:confused: I didn't even have the slightest clue anyone might get offended. I thought people were just giving their general opinions on here.

I don't think everybody was talking about somebody in particular. :)

But some people were definitely using it as a platform.
It's actually kind of ironic because the thread is called 'why are people so quick to correct others mistakes' and in it are a number of observations about the mistakes of others pointing out others mistakes. lol And it's quite clear that "people" are not random. You'll notice various comments on here like 'shall remain nameless etc etc' so yea.....em.....that's where I got passive aggressive from. Politics. Sort it out in private people. I ignored the original thread, just hate to see it revived.

laure15

People in general - but I see it most illustrative on the internet.
You know... people rolling their :rolleyes: eyes when someone doesnt understand a point made... or if someone doesnt understand where another person is coming from, or they make a very obvious and silly statement - people are like vultures "OH MY GOD YOU ARE WRONG - and I am TOTALLY going to make you feel stupid about it all the while making myself look more superior than you because I know more about this topic than you do and I SIMPLY CANT WAIT to prove it"

My sister does this a lot. When she is wrong about something, she usually doesn't admit it, nor does she listen to what I have to say. Instead, she argues until she becomes "right" and I admit defeat. But even then, she will think I am faking it (which I am) and then will try her hardest to convince me to see things her way. She and my mom are both unreasonable at times and make 2 peas in a pod.

In several occasions, when she is right and I am wrong, she will proceed to call be dumb, stupid, etc and start belittling me, saying how much more knowledgable and reasonable she is compared to me. It's very annoying. If I anger her, she will curse me and lose her civility.

So now, I tried to avoid ANY sort of arguments with her. The best policy is to stay away as much as possible, and not get in her way.

I don't see what's wrong with reviving old threads... :confused: Isn't that why they're still there and not deleted after a time? I mean you can only make so many threads before the topics start to repeat themselves anyway.

cowboyup

I had a friend that whenever we got talking, this person would have to always say something negative and to prove me wrong in one way or another - annoyed the heck outta me.

Personally, from my observance, I would say it can be ego, self esteem issues, insecurities or perhaps a little of all.

By no means am I guilt free of this, but I try to joke around about it - not all serious and not trying to prove the other person is dumb. Then I tend to laugh a lot at myself ...

surewhynot

I read a few replies here and it kinda surprises me how quick everyone is to jump to conclusions. Correcting someone's mistake isn't bad, unless it is done in an arrogant way. Heck, being able to correct one another is awesome, without it we would still be living in caves.

If you are doing something wrong, wouldn't you want someone to tell you the right way to do it?

If you believed in something which was false, wouldn't you want someone to explain to you why it's false?

Example: the other day I used an expression and someone corrected me, saying that I was using it in a wrong way. I was actually greatful, even though I was maybe a bit embarassed, because if he hadn't said anything, I would still be using it wrong, which would be even more embarassing.

I mean, COME ON, be honest with me, what do you want, to be happier but an idiot, or maybe to improve yourself, even if it means people are going to correct you.

It's called criticism.

No offense to anyone.

Nathália

I read a few replies here and it kinda surprises me how quick everyone is to jump to conclusions. Correcting someone's mistake isn't bad, unless it is done in an arrogant way. Heck, being able to correct one another is awesome, without it we would still be living in caves.

If you are doing something wrong, wouldn't you want someone to tell you the right way to do it?

If you believed in something which was false, wouldn't you want someone to explain to you why it's false?

Example: the other day I used an expression and someone corrected me, saying that I was using it in a wrong way. I was actually greatful, even though I was maybe a bit embarassed, because if he hadn't said anything, I would still be using it wrong, which would be even more embarassing.

I mean, COME ON, be honest with me, what do you want, to be happier but an idiot, or maybe to improve yourself, even if it means people are going to correct you.

It's called criticism.

No offense to anyone.

There's a difference between someone correcting mistakes and that person just being an argumentative person that's hard to get along with. Not many are going to listen to someone calling them name to their face or found out they said something, because it's a sign of disrespect even if that person is right. If one said " you stupid idiot you fawked up" no one is going to take that well. Criticism is good.......... ( I'm agreeing with some of you said, not all)

If one want's to improve on how they think critically and to become an advanced thinker they need to always be open to peoples ideas because there is so much knowledge, no matter how smart someone is on a topic or idea, it's impossible for one to know everything. So it's good to keep an open mind. Although; people are people.

Removing emotions can also clear up ones thinking ability, but one can't always do that. Yeah, sure all have done it and jumped to the wrong conclusions about things, but someone who never or rarely takes any ideas and like to insult others that don't share the same views as them, it's frustrating.

I also think people become passionate of what their talking about or feel strongly about something at the moment, so they cast that out into the world. The world is full of all kinds of ideas and thoughts, some beliefs I think to myself, what?? but it would be pointless for me to try to convince someone of something, people just can't just convince people at times and because no ones on the same page it doesn't make them * insert ad-hominem attack here* People speak through emotions at time and emotions can be deceiving because they're knee jerk reactions.

Is ego always as a bad thing? Sure if someone has a big head that could fill up the moon it's annoying and going against the primitive nature to improve is always good. I'm guilty of jumping to conclusions. We all get some type of information from the world around us and it's how we perceive things and ego can be perceptions on how we view things, none are 100 percent objective. Edit: I'm not throwing shade at anyone, I include myself in the equation of people and one. Everybody is just human. One can think something is absolute and it can be the wrong idea.

Last edited:

cowboyup

It's called criticism.

No offense to anyone.

@surewhynot - yes, I do agree. I actually learn from others and have gotten into the habit of asking questions to things I don't know. What I (personally) was talking about is when someone is condescending, arrogant and say, you say something to someone and you can back up what you say with evidence, proof...then that person is insistent that he/she is right and your evidence is crap. That's all I was talking about. I know it was not directed towards anyone in particular - just wanted to state what I meant in my post - which now, I am rambling on and digressing from the point! LOL

madmike

I agree with whoever said that there is nothing wrong with correcting people, so long as it's done with a little tact. I'm wrong a lot, and people correct me all the time. It's how you learn I guess.

What I would say, however, is that often there is no right and wrong. I wish people would realize that sometimes what you have is just an opinion, not a concrete fact.

twiggle

What I would say, however, is that often there is no right and wrong. I wish people would realize that sometimes what you have is just an opinion, not a concrete fact.

Yes.

No matter how much you believe something, it's still just your opinion. And that's all it will ever be. Even if thousands of people agree with you, it's still just an opinion.

For this reason, I find it hard to understand stubborn people who can't even try to see things from a different angle.

coyote

I read a few replies here and it kinda surprises me how quick everyone is to jump to conclusions.

i think that comes in the Social Anxiety Kit when they send it to us...

- jumping to conclusions

- making assumptions

- passing judgment

- reading minds

didn't you check the packing slip?

Nathália

i think that comes in the Social Anxiety Kit when they send it to us...

- jumping to conclusions

- making assumptions

- passing judgment

- reading minds

didn't you check the packing slip?

I think that comes with the life kit, maybe people with SA have more things in this kit though.

knowledgeofself

It's pure ego

I don't think that's right,sometimes people like to correct things they see as a fallacy so that others aren't influenced into believing one persons opinion.

there may be occasions where its about that persons ego and they are reaffirming their belief over and over again all the while directing as much attention to themselves. but usually what I see is people just stating what they believe.
I think on the times when people over react its usually due to intolerance of ignorance.

gustavofring

Criticism can be brought without ego, its just that not many people have mastered this. A lot of people truly let their ego get in the way and use knowledge as a way to affirm themselves as superior or smarter.