Why are people so quick to correct others mistakes

KiaKaha

Banned
I have noticed that when people are wrong (or naive, ignorant, misunderstand etc) about whatever it is that is being discussed, people will very quickly jump on and try to make an example of the person that is incorrect often with a self righteous tone of "I am right and you are wrong.... na na na na nahhh and I am going to prove it so everyone can see how dumb you are..."

Does this stem from our own ego....? Trying to establish that we are smarter and better than others, or is possibly something that comes from insecurity - the belief that we are not taken as seriously as we would like to think.

Why do people think they are such big deals?

crazypants

I have noticed that when people are wrong (or naive, ignorant, misunderstand etc) about whatever it is that is being discussed, people will very quickly jump on and try to make an example of the person that is incorrect often with a self righteous tone of "I am right and you are wrong.... na na na na nahhh and I am going to prove it so everyone can see how dumb you are..."

Does this stem from our own ego....? Trying to establish that we are smarter and better than others, or is possibly something that comes from insecurity - the belief that we are not taken as seriously as we would like to think.

Are you talking about here on the internet, or just people in general?

KiaKaha

Banned
Are you talking about here on the internet, or just people in general?

People in general - but I see it most illustrative on the internet.
You know... people rolling their :rolleyes: eyes when someone doesnt understand a point made... or if someone doesnt understand where another person is coming from, or they make a very obvious and silly statement - people are like vultures "OH MY GOD YOU ARE WRONG - and I am TOTALLY going to make you feel stupid about it all the while making myself look more superior than you because I know more about this topic than you do and I SIMPLY CANT WAIT to prove it"

hidwell

You know... people rolling their :rolleyes: eyes when someone doesnt understand a point made... or if someone doesnt understand where another person is coming from, or they make a very obvious and silly statement - people are like vultures "OH MY GOD YOU ARE WRONG - and I am TOTALLY going to make you feel stupid about it all the while making myself look more superior than you because I know more about this topic than you do and I SIMPLY CANT WAIT to prove it"

I think I might be guilty of this::p: Though I suspect it is human nature to try and look superior.

THeCARS1979

Its to make them look smart when they re really insecure themselves. Thats what it is , it falls under bullying. They tried to do that to me, but i dont care. Tell them to f*ck off

Last edited:

crazypants

Oh yeah, but I notice it mostly on-line. People try to be more polite in person, most of the time anyway. People on-line go from zero to ten, like, INSTANTLY!

Nathália

If people don't know then they just don't know. I find the word ignorant to be misused on many occasions like it's a sin to be sometimes. It really is okay for people to be ignorant about certain things. I know what you mean. I am not good at conversations, so I sometimes say things that I am not meaning to say; before I have 2 seconds to correct myself, someone it talking all over me and barking not letting me get a word out. There is no room for slight error in this society or people will be all over you like rocks on the moon. It's annoying. I let people get their point out, there is never a reason to out talk someone and think I'm better because I don't think they don't know when they might know. Ya know wut I mean?

Last edited:

Boby

Some time it may be the ego but most of the time it's a rather involuntary behaviour,let me explain why.
It's the brain tendency to be consistent,so when somebody presents an idea 3 things can happen:the idea is on par with your system of believes,the idea is new but it's compatible with your system of believes(this is learning) or the idea is wrong or erroneous.In the 3rd case the brain reaction is similar to an physical threat and it reacts in concordance.That's why people rush to correct others,it's mostly a brain self-defense reflex.

KiaKaha

Banned
^ no - no one specific, everyone does it probably. It's just irritating. I find it very righteous and hypocritical.

Like...people cant wait to show how smart they are and prove to everyone else how stupid you are.
There is nothing wrong with correcting someone but do people have to do it in such a smarmy holier than thou manner?

I mean who cares if someone gets it wrong? we are all wrong sometimes... is it really necessary to jump down someones throat to establish ones dominance and intellect. Yawn...boring. We get it... you are amazing. Congratulations.

Lea

Banned
Well I think I would need to hear some particular example, because I can´t exactly imagine any of those situation you have in mind. I only know that if someone says some bs I feel compelled to say what my opinion on the matter is. I am not doing this in order to let them know they´re stupid, but that the subject discussed seems to me like a nonsense. But why should it be bad?

dyingtolive

Some time it may be the ego but most of the time it's a rather involuntary behaviour,let me explain why.
It's the brain tendency to be consistent,so when somebody presents an idea 3 things can happen:the idea is on par with your system of believes,the idea is new but it's compatible with your system of believes(this is learning) or the idea is wrong or erroneous.In the 3rd case the brain reaction is similar to an physical threat and it reacts in concordance.That's why people rush to correct others,it's mostly a brain self-defense reflex.

yes, theres also a fear that u feel u dont want other people to be misguided.

there is nothing wrong with correcting, but as long as u show respect.
alot of people just like to push their weight around on top of others in the internet, the workplace or anywhere.

but for every person thats a know it all, theres also a helpful person that isnt an asswipe

Lea

Banned
When I think of it, shouldn´t be rather every particular case adressed when they arise and then not dwell on it and move on?

Because, of what use are these rantings about how egoistic and dumb people are (noone in particular yet nearly everyone in general), but without even particular examples. What does it teach anyone? Isn´t it best to deal with things as they arise, if something or someone makes you angry, get angry at that particular moment, tell them what they did wrong etc. - then forget about it and move on. But some people instead keep carrying the hate around and let it out in a diffuse indirect way later.

KiaKaha

Banned
Oh there are examples - of course, but out of courtesy and to keep the integrity of the forum intact, examples shall remain anonymous - and of course the examples that would be cited would be my opinion that others may disagree on. But despite that I think it's an interesting topic nevertheless... I get frustrated with people at how transparent their inner motivations are. Just illustrating the hypocrisy and idiocy of the human condition.

Take take take - but never give. Course not - that would be asking too much.

Lea

Banned
Oh there are examples - of course, but out of courtesy and to keep the integrity of the forum intact, examples shall remain anonymous - and of course the examples that would be cited would be my opinion that others may disagree on. But despite that I think it's an interesting topic nevertheless... I get frustrated with people at how transparent their inner motivations are. Just illustrating the hypocrisy and idiocy of the human condition.

Take take take - but never give. Course not - that would be asking too much.

Hm, this thread is not very educative to me as I still have no idea what you mean. I know I get angered with some people who´re acting like smart asses, for example.. I don´t know who said it, Socrates? "I know that I don´t know (anything)". The greater your knowledge and experience is, the more you are aware of your limitations and that things are never cut and dry, black and white, but more delicately complicated and that´s why the subject needs to be handled with care (and humility). Then comes an ass who just got out of school and knows nothing of life, but thinks he knows it all. Or even old people can be narrowminded and biased.. pushing their ideas on people like their opinion was the only right one.

I don´t agree the issue shouldn´t be pointed out at the particular moment. It normally should I guess - in some cases it is even kind of moral right IMO, to stand up against ppl saying mean or biased things, because by doing that you´re defending the truth. But it is true that in some cases it is useless arguing with ppl if they´re complete ignorants and fools, as they will never get it anyway.

I personally usually say what I think even if I know that it will not be beneficial to me (like in this case ::p:). I know the person will hate me for it, yet I say it. With saying your opinion, you´re risking to get hurt and not being liked, that´s why many ppl rather abstain from it. That´s their choice, but some choose to release their pent up anger elsewhere then which is not fair.

karl:-/

If it a debate then I can understand someone's point of trying to be right but in every day life people need to just sit back and let people make mistakes, how is any one ment to learn if they get shot down straight away.. I mean a bit of light encouragement to sway their point if they are wrong... Other than in that context I think its pure ego, as if their the fifth element. Supreme being....

Where all wrong to start with,when you learn something teach it rather than using it as I misguided weapon...... Love being wrong at least I've learnt something :)

Because they are too assertive and too outspoken. Most importantly is that they never been through hard life and they don't know how people feel.