What sort of sport suits the shy type?

mostlyokay

Hi,

I recently moved quite a long distance from QLD to WA and only know my neighbour, who seems very nice by the way. But in an attempt to make some new friends I contacted a local football team, the season has almost ended but they have invited me to come watch them tonight. I am a tad nervous. For starters I haven't played in ages and I'm hoping the competition isn't too competitive, I mean I just want a bit of fun and the chance to meet some people I connect with. I hope its not too full on, the last thing I want is a really serious competition, I mean life is stressful enough at times without a serious game of football. I suppose I can always slink off into the shrubbery if it's too intense. And also meeting the team seems a bit scary too. Wish me luck. If they seem like meanies I can always pick another sport right! Has anyone had good experiences with a sporting team? What sort of sport is good for the shy type?

Sacrament

I'm guessing sports where no team work is required, like biking, jogging, etc.

If you're talking about team sports, well, they all involve large amounts of interaction with your team mates, so there's not much you can do except try to overcome your shyness quickly (force yourself to participate in the situations you're in, etc) and take it from there.

mostlyokay

I don't think its a case of overcoming your shyness quickly. Cause frankly that doesn't seem realistic. But I think its a case of working at it and finding a team that doesn't mind if your a bit twitchy at times, but still values your input. Swimming is a good suggestion but I'm actually a terrible swimmer. Anyone had good experiences with team sports?

Scorpiiious

There's lots you can do. Go bike riding, or go exploring to get yourself more familiar with around the place. Play handball against the wall?

How old are you? and don't you live with anyone?

mostlyokay

Hi,

I'm 26 and I'm married but my husband goes away for work at times. It's not really just for exercise its about meeting people (which sort of makes handball against the wall a bit of a redundant exercise :). Cause despite the fact that I struggle sometimes with people, its worth putting yourself out there a bit cause its fantastic when you meet someone great. Anyone who has had a good experience in a team sport - I'd love to hear your story.

Section_31

i used to do airsoft quite frequently, it wasnt bad, though it did sting pretty good when you get shot.

Unfortunately anxiety crept its way into it and i havnt able to go back, my nerves are shot >.<

misslilyc

I love ice-skating, but unfortunately it's seasonal ::(: but rollerblading does the job out of season. I must say this sport helps a lot to develop self-confidence. It's may sound a bit unbelievable but surely it's true. ;)

I always was hopeless at team sports so I have no positive experiences with these. Maybe except for the fact that I always had wonderful girls at my teams when I tried it.

Steffen

I would do one-on-one sports. Only have to deal with one person at a time and you'll be more easily able to make friends (I, at least, have trouble with this in groups). So, tennis, badminton, stuff like that.

Gaucho

thats a good idea, i hope you have the courage to do it OP, and maybe with a bit of luck you will enjoy it and make new friends. YOU CAN DO IT BUDDY!

psych

I see single guys rollerblading on the trail sometimes. It's good because you can wear earbuds and kinda roll off into your own world if you like.

mostlyokay

Thanks Gaucho! I did it and it went well. The team were very encouraging to each other and there seems like a wide variety of personalities. I was worried I'd be nervous (which I was to an extent but not too bad) but no one was mean about it. It looked good actually (I mean you don't know how it will work out but I want to give it a go) and I was so pleased with myself for doing it.

Daniel089

I think going hiking would be a great idea. Maybe for us with SA fresh, clean, forest air is important, and in the same time there isn't a mass of people walking along with you, when you decide you want to take a trip on a nearby hill for example.

Srijita52

I think going hiking would be a great idea. Maybe for us with SA fresh, clean, forest air is important, and in the same time there isn't a mass of people walking along with you, when you decide you want to take a trip on a nearby hill for example.
That seems like a great idea. :)
Thanks Gaucho! I did it and it went well. The team were very encouraging to each other and there seems like a wide variety of personalities. I was worried I'd be nervous (which I was to an extent but not too bad) but no one was mean about it. It looked good actually (I mean you don't know how it will work out but I want to give it a go) and I was so pleased with myself for doing it.
Awesome! I hope it goes well in the future too. :)

Silatuyok

Has no one said martial arts yet??? Did it, loved it, it gave me a ton of confidence but still forced me to interact with others people one on one or in small groups (sparring, defense drills, teaching forms to others, etc.). Plus, it's bad*ss.

Reaching-Zen

Has no one said martial arts yet??? Did it, loved it, it gave me a ton of confidence but still forced me to interact with others people one on one or in small groups (sparring, defense drills, teaching forms to others, etc.). Plus, it's bad*ss.

I suggested fencing. :D

I do various martial arts though. My problem is blushing, but after a short time everyone is a bit redfaced from the intense sessions so it suits me really good.