What makes you come OUT of your shell?

HeadFace

There was a thread about what kind of people/topics make people shut down or go back into their shell but...
What about the opposite? What makes you more energetic or involved in a person or conversation?
For me, I think it's mostly about that person's charisma. There are people who I cannot for the life of me start an interesting conversation with, and then there have been a couple of people who I've actually hit it very well with, the first day meeting them.
I've also noticed that it's "the cool/in people" who I can't talk to very well. I think it might be because they havent matured as much as I have. But that sounds a bit.. self-righteous. I'm not sure what other way to put it though.

A86

Anonymity has always been good for me. Not just in an online sense. I feel slightly more comfortable going to the shops to get milk in a different state rather than local shops.

HeadFace

Anonymity has always been good for me. Not just in an online sense. I feel slightly more comfortable going to the shops to get milk in a different state rather than local shops.

I agree with that. Sometimes I get scared that I'd meet someone I'd actually want to get to know better then never being able to because of distance.

Dead_on_Arrival

If I already knew that someone shared a similar interest or experience as me then breaking the ice would be a lot easier. Although I've only been on spw for 1 week there are people her who have brought me out of my shell in the fact that I feel I can trust people here with my emotions and my past life that I have not told anyone before including my parents, siblings and wife.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
crowbar.jpg

Champagne has this affect on me. It's strange how it makes me more talkative, happy, almost anxiety free.:)
Never forget the first time I ever drank it!::p:
It's a pity I can't drink it without it giving me a migraine later :/

MaliceInWickedland

Hard to say. I imagine the only time I would be able to come out of my shell is if I'm talking to someone who's as shy as I am so that there's a more balanced level of understanding between us.

People being genuinely interesting in getting to know me better as a person, and when they take their time doing so. That's all it takes. Though, I do often sense it when people are being ingenuine. That just closes me down.

Now that I think of it; all people whom were interested, and took their time, have become good friends afterward.

Phoenixx

Once I find out someone shares the same interests as I do, well, I never shut up. :) Haha, no I try not to talk off their ear, but it does make me more enthusiastic to talk to them. Also, like you said, their charisma helps too. I find it much easier to talk to others who are laid-back, kinda shy or quiet, and just really down to earth. I understand how you can't talk to the "cool" people, or just those really popular, well-known types. I find them (not all of course, but most) to be quite immature, and too loud and outgoing for me. I get quite uncomfortable around loud/outgoing people.

ScaredToBreathe

i talk more when im in a place i feel secure and comfortable in, such as at home, or a friend's house, instead of at a place like school or a store.
i also tend to talk more and feel less anxious when im around people i know very well such as family and close friends, and also being around animals makes me less anxious.

on the other hand, when im around very loud, outgoing people that are so bright and funny and full of confidence i get really quiet and anxious and feel more self-conscious. but when im with shy or introverted people, or someone that might have SA too i always seem to be able to talk to them no problem, and even lead a conversation, and its like all of a sudden im just a normal person without sa having a normal convorsation. like in school when i have to do group work, me and the other quiet kids always work together, and its kind of nice because we all get along a lot better than we would with the more talkative kids.

Jessica7

It's really easy to go out and do stuff if I am with a couple of friends - I could never do something on my own. I hate meeting new people but I will feel a lot more comfortable if they smile a lot and are kind and we have stuff in common ::p:

People who don't judge me right after meeting me and push me hard to be social, people with similar interests, and in a strange way people who make me mad lol.

megalon

I can get quite vocal if the conversation turns toward one of my interests, i.e. cars, motorcycles, gaming, sci fi. It's a matter of being confident enough in what you're saying to know your opinion is valid.

Last edited:

Glitch

Well.. I feel most comfortable around fellow people who are also quiet, shy, awkward, submissive, etc. They're just easier for me to approach and open up to. Also people with shared interests, easier to find something to talk about. And sometimes goofy, funny people who joke around and don't care about making a fool of themselves. Because if they don't take things too seriously I can relax too :)

Illusions

People I meet whom I communicate on the same wavelength with and click with, people who open up to me first and people I have a lot in common with. My anxiety level changes depending on who I'm with, really. :)

Last edited: