What is "normal"?

Srijita52

I think most of us have been accused of not being 'normal' one time or another. Atleast that has been the case for me quite a few times, I've also used the word normal a lot too, without thinking too much. But I wonder, what does this "normal" mean and what does a "normal person" seem like? Thoughts?

Lea

Banned
Normal is if the person is mentally healthy, free of personality and mental disorders, has high intelligence and empathy. Is trying to cope with life despite difficulties, never stops educating itself, knows how to be assertive, which means not being doormat or aggressive. It is about balance and hard work I think, and about distinguishing what is and isn´t worthwhile and important in life.

Hoppy

A normal person?

They have difficulty understanding human relationships, have only a few good friends, and even those change as they get older, move around and their lives change.

They have difficulty approaching people, and are scared of what people will think of them.

They go to work every day, have to budget to pay their bills, and sometimes despair about surviving.

They do not eat right, they do not exercise enough, they do not relax enough.

They worry about their children and family, and do not see them enough.

They always struggle to understand the world around them.

And they lie in their beds at night in the dark, alone with the thought in their heads.

That is normal.

And then they see people like us, and they wonder why we are different, because they live with all these things and manage to overcome it, why couldn't we?

Not understanding the terror that grips us when a phone ring. The desperate desire to walk away while talking to someone, the constant exhaustion of never relaxing, always stressed, always wishing for companionship, and never getting any.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Normal just means conform to the norm. The norm could be defined as being the majority in a given space and time (I'm sure someone can find a better definition though). So as you can see, not being normal is neither negative nor positive: it just means that you differ from the mass you are supposed to be associated to.

Kiwong

A normal person sounds a bit bland to me. I like the idea of being a bit out there, non-conformist, discovering my humanity.

squidgee

Normal just means conform to the norm. The norm could be defined as being the majority in a given space and time (I'm sure someone can find a better definition though). So as you can see, not being normal is neither negative nor positive: it just means that you differ from the mass you are supposed to be associated to.

I'm not sure I would agree that not being normal is neither negative nor positive. In today's society, abnormality or veering from social norms is generally seen in a negative light because people aren't familiar with it and can't approach it in the same way as they would with 'normal' people. It's also prone to social stigma where abnormal aspects of people are often misunderstood. I'm sure that are some examples where abnormality isn't negative, it's just that it seems that the negative part of it seems to be more prevalent.

Quirk87

Banned
Normal is difficult to define.

It's one of those words that almost have no meaning anymore. Normality is entirely dictated by cultural and social factors agreed upon by a consensus. To divide those who we consider as deviants from those who conform to acceptable standards assumed by society.

There are many tribes in Africa, who through their rituals and chants hear voices from time to time. In that context this is considered to be normal, however if one hears the voices during the wrong moment - that is all is needed from that societies perspective to determine that someone is 'crazy'

Something is considered abnormal when it occurs infrequently; it deviates from the average. The bigger the deviation, the more abnormal it is. However it must be considered that the more productive one is, the more tolerable abnormal behaviour seems to be... take lady gaga for example.

It's a big question that you have asked.

Last edited:
Normal is a set of behaviour and opinions that are so frequent and easily adopted that they stick.

With people density tighter than ever, and one normal inflating to almost national sizes, and diversity scare, this often means it's regarded as the one and only way of being. I'd prefer if people looked at eccentricity as diverse rather than weird, odd or abnormal.

Lea

Banned
A normal idiot

"Normal" doesn´t mean being a sheep, although of course that´s what most people tend to regard as normal. But since being a sheep is a sign of mental disorder, it is not normal.

Being normal is what the majority of people on this world expect to see from other peoples behavior. Abnormality is what is not normal or even bad.

jigglypuff

my definition of "normal" is being the same as the majority of the human population act like...
Although I'm not even sure if that's accurate I think we all have our own definition of what a "normal" person is....

I like what wikipedia has to say on this -

"Normality (also known as normalcy) is the state of being normal. Behaviour can be normal for an individual (intrapersonal normality) when it is consistent with the most common behaviour for that person. Normal is also used to describe when someone's behaviour conforms to the most common behaviour in society (known as conforming to the norm). Definitions of normality vary by person, time, place, and situation – it changes along with changing societal standards and norms. Normal behaviour is often only recognized in contrast to abnormality. In its simplest form, normality is seen as good while abnormality is seen as bad.[1] Someone being seen as "normal" or "not normal" can have social ramifications, including being included, excluded or stigmatized by larger society."

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I'm not sure I would agree that not being normal is neither negative nor positive. In today's society, abnormality or veering from social norms is generally seen in a negative light because people aren't familiar with it and can't approach it in the same way as they would with 'normal' people. It's also prone to social stigma where abnormal aspects of people are often misunderstood. I'm sure that are some examples where abnormality isn't negative, it's just that it seems that the negative part of it seems to be more prevalent.

I see what you mean and I know that for the majority, abnormal is negative and normal is positive, but what I mean is as a fact, it's not. What is normal here is abnormal out there as well as the other way around

Alana.JPEG

I think that it might have derived from the Freudian school, I guess a term that sticks just like allot of other structural categorical terminologies. I guess it might be just as meaningful as a term like Social Anxiety Disorder, where there are allot of grey areas and it is impossible to really define someone by any one term.

Anxy

Re: A normal idiot

"Normal" doesn´t mean being a sheep, although of course that´s what most people tend to regard as normal. But since being a sheep is a sign of mental disorder, it is not normal.

So, in your opinion, 90% of the society is mentally ill? Well, maybe.

People keep telling me that everyone is different. Maybe. But when you have a way of thinking or set of things you like that is new to them, they just call you weird. Sure, not everyone is like that, but it's majority.

Hellhound

Super Moderator

^ troof

Normal is if the person is mentally healthy, free of personality and mental disorders, has high intelligence and empathy. Is trying to cope with life despite difficulties, never stops educating itself, knows how to be assertive, which means not being doormat or aggressive. It is about balance and hard work I think, and about distinguishing what is and isn´t worthwhile and important in life.

This... I don't think this exists. This sounds almost like a "perfect" person, nobody has ALL of those qualities at the same time. Everyone has something going on in their minds, everyone can break down, everyone can be a little "insane".

And usually (not always, but often) intelligent, empathetic people have some sort of problem. They can empathize because they know what the problem feels like.

squidgee

According to my psychology textbook, there are six approaches used to determine if something is normal or abnormal.
- Functional approach, whether an individual can function in everyday life.
- Situational approach, if an action or thought is appropriate for the situation at hand.
- Historical approach, if it's accepted within a particular era.
- Statistical approach, if you're in the majority or minority.
- Socio-cultural approach, if it's accepted within a particular society or culture.
- Medical approach, whether it can be diagnosed and treated.