What if a stranger insults you?

LoyalXenite

wow. That is horrifying. It speaks so much of their own insecurity. They need a slap for that, that is not acceptable. I'm so sorry you've experienced this.:sad:

Yeah when things like this happen it really doesn't help my anxiety at all.

planetweirdo

I'm sorry for you... It has happened to me a couple of times too. I pretended I wasn't listening and kept walking, but eventually I started crying :sad:
I'm always too serious and people mistake it by anger or arrogance.

I'm sorry for you too. I don't understand how people can be so rude.

Foxie913

One time me and my mum were walking home from a shop and passed a house where a black family lives and there was a bunch of them standing in the front yard talking and as we passed them one of them called us "White trash". It was insulting but we didn't do anything about it. I just thought "What a ba$tard" to myself.

Last edited:
There are only two ways of dealing with a******s like that: either go Thelma and Louise on them or don't give them the satisfaction of knowing you're upset. Since the first one is illegal, stick to the second option

dannyboy65

I remember 2 years ago I was outside the movie theaters with two friends (We all went to the same school and were not at all popular) and then a car with a bunch of kids from our school past (I didn't know them just recognized them) They yelled at us from the car calling us faggots and laughed at us then sped away. After that a lot more people were picking on us at school, I snapped and had to go to the hospital for suicide attempt. That was the old me now the new me if someone had something to say like that I would laugh with them because if they have the energy and time to bully then they are not worth my precious time.

Metal_isthe_Answer

What would you do if a stranger said something rude about you. A couple of years ago, I was walking back home form a store. I walked past a group of three guys. one of them looked at me and said that I walk like I have something stuck up my rear. then they all laughed. I almost had a panic attack.

A guy once told me when i was working in food service that I should dress as a pirate for Halloween since I only have the full use of one eye. I wanted to say "and you should go as a giant ****, oh I see you're already wearing the costume"

greggy

Unfortunately we exist in a world with ingrates and every now and then we incounter them, today at work i met one of the most annoying idiots i've ever met, he insulted my colleague, i realised that a person like this is constantly looking for people to put down as it makes them think they're better then others.

greggy

the great thing about strangers is that they don't know you, and you don't know them

so anything they say about you is obviously about their own issues

and any weight you give to their opinion is obviously about your own issues

try to learn from this

Awesome comment friend

greggy

Agreed that you should ignore those strangers. After all, you only see them once and will probably never see them again. I once went into a restaurant and sat across from this nasty lady who keeps picking on me. She commented on my weight negatively and talked about how sleepy I look, among other things in addition to the food I order (she called me cheap). When I started eating, she started banging her silverware at me. Her friend told her to stop doing it but she just kept glaring me like she hates me. I swear I dont know this lady, never seen her before, and I honestly dont know what she has against me. I wish I could speak out against her, as in ask her why is she insulting me, but she'll probably deny it and say I'm hearing things. Plus, she's like 2 decades older than me so she'll probably say I don't have the right to talk back at her.

I blamed myself for what happened, and the incident scarred me. Another reason why not to trust people or to like people. But, not everyone is like her. There are many nice
people out there. Just be prepared for haters because they will be everywhere. They could hate you for no reason. Just ignore them and take comfort in the fact that you'll
never see them again, hopefully. Don't blame yourself - they are the ones with the issue - they are the bullies.

I have a simple answer to this one, apart from her being a complete bitch, she was onviously jealous of you, you're younger then her proberbly better looking, in her mind her sitting oposite you was her little world ending. Dont be sad about this

planetweirdo

A guy once told me when i was working in food service that I should dress as a pirate for Halloween since I only have the full use of one eye. I wanted to say "and you should go as a giant ****, oh I see you're already wearing the costume"

:giggle: That would have been a good comeback.

Sometimes I wish that I have said something back to some of the people that have insulted me. But even if I managed to muster up enough courage to say something back I probably would feel guilty about it afterwards.

Last edited:

Odo

Banned
I approach, tell them they have insulted my honor, get out my duelling gloves, and slap them in the face.

MotherWolff

Banned
Honestly, strangers can be incredibly cruel. It doesn't seem fair that they get to rip into a persons confidence without any fallout from being connected to that person. I just sigh, feel like shit, and keep walking. The best thing to put between them and yourself is distance, not much else to do unfortunately :(

I sorta agree with you. Except the "feeling like shit" part. There is no logical reason why you should feel this way or any of us.

We may be outside just like everyone else because the outside is our habitat.

Instead of thinking, "Oh, those guys talked and laughed about me. Now I feel like shit."

I would rather think, "You know, those guys hurt my feelings when they talked and laughed about me. Although I have a very strong, uncomfortable feeling from that, I do know it won't kill me. I have every right to be outside like everyone else. Its not like I am a criminal or a fish out of water. Heck, those guys are the real victims because they are literally wasting their time doing that. I will keep walking outside because that is what I really want and like to do."

I had something similar to me happen a couple of days ago. But I continue to go outside anyways. I really could care less what people think of me. I know I do not need their approval on anything.

MotherWolff

Banned

HAHAHAHAHAHA! I am sorry. I don't know if you were trying to be funny or serious. But this had me laughing for a moment. I mean, what you said back to that ****. He probably left out of there feeling embarrassed as hell.:applause:

Earthcircle

What would you do if a stranger said something rude about you. A couple of years ago, I was walking back home form a store. I walked past a group of three guys. one of them looked at me and said that I walk like I have something stuck up my rear. then they all laughed. I almost had a panic attack.

Whenever anyone insults me, I usually assume that they are correct. People have insulted me a lot, and there must be something to what they are saying.

MotherWolff

Banned
Whenever anyone insults me, I usually assume that they are correct. People have insulted me a lot, and there must be something to what they are saying.

For every person who has insulted us there is person who has complimented us.

I think you focus more on the insults than the compliments because they sound more realistic to you. From your thoughts, you have created an underdog reality like a lot of us have.

When people insult you, its never true. It is often blown way out of proportion and very ignorant.

Why would you want to give them the power by saying they are right?

Would someone be right to call someone you loved out of their name? Or say something else very mean to them?

Earthcircle

For every person who has insulted us there is person who has complimented us.

I think you focus more on the insults than the compliments because they sound more realistic to you. From your thoughts, you have created an underdog reality like a lot of us have.

When people insult you, its never true. It is often blown way out of proportion and very ignorant.

Why would you want to give them the power by saying they are right?

Would someone be right to call someone you loved out of their name? Or say something else very mean to them?

A famous clinical psychologist once went through a litany of how severely mentally ill I am. She repeatedly told me that she was shocked by my behavior. I was not her patient. She was offering this gratis.