What do you for Xmas & New Years

Ignace

I love/hate it. I love the surroundings, the snow, christmas trees etc etc. The only thing I hate it is because we are all forced to go to friends/family and have a bunch of fun. I'm probably at home then F5'ing for new messages. ::p: But I gotta tell my friends I was with family, because, really, what teenager, almost 18 for me stays at home in those days .. ? Society's great, don't you think? :)

ohh yeh new years for me is by far the worst, so lonely and depressing...i lay on my bed after being woken up by the fireworks which are just a painfull reminder of how i have no friends and are spending the night alone...once again...i can't remember the last time i was actually invited out somewhere for new years' its been that long:(:. but xmas in general is a bad time of year for me, i used to love it as a kid but..

a few things i hate abouts xmas:
-being asked by someone 'so whats your plans for xmas' as i usually have none.
-feeling presured to go to one of those family get-togethers, which if i do go forced to make tedious small talk with relatives i generally have no desire to converse with.
-xmas shopping, just blah.
-stupid xmas carrols.
-stupid tinsil everywhere.
-acting like you got the best gift when you know it sucks.

Ignace

ohh yeh new years for me is by far the worst, so lonely and depressing...i lay on my bed after being woken up by the fireworks which are just a painfull reminder of how i have no friends and are spending the night alone...once again...i can't remember the last time i was actually invited out somewhere for new years' its been that long:(:. but xmas in general is a bad time of year for me, i used to love it as a kid but..

a few things i hate abouts xmas:
-being asked by someone 'so whats your plans for xmas' as i usually have none.
-feeling presured to go to one of those family get-togethers, which if i do go forced to make tedious small talk with relatives i generally have no desire to converse with.

-xmas shopping, just blah.
-stupid xmas carrols.
-stupid tinsil everywhere.
-acting like you got the best gift when you know it sucks.

Haha, I agree except the shopping. :) ... I love the shopping in online shops. :)

Kiwong

I usually travel to Perth to see my father. I am away from the things that make me anxious in the town that I live.

EscapeArtist

I enjoy the celebration of Winter.. not so much Christmas or New Years. Holidays hold no personal meaning for me. Although this year I am very anxious because I'll be visiting a childhood friend that I haven't seen for..ages. Staying with them. It's quite intimidating......

Snowdrop

Agree with Ignace. I love and hate it. I love the atmosphere, the ringing bells, the buzz, and the memories of wonderful past Christmases. But then I realize it's not like that for me anymore. I can't enjoy the merriment surrounding me, I see it, I see the snow and the crackers and happy people and I can't join in because SA and depression is a godamned blanket seperating me from it all. Sorry if I sounded incredibly miserable there :(

Dr. Doom

Honestly, I more into just the gift giving. But it's also the most depressing part because I know that my mom, and my aunt and uncle are poor but they are going to get me **** anyways. And then my rich ass cousin will probably get somthing for me and I'll have no cash to get them somthing. I don't really celebrate christmas religousley, more commercialy. But I have been looking forward to this christmas. Family, gifts, I'll be in Texas and I'll see a girl I like. Not really sure what will happen but I'm staying optimistic. Anyways, happy holidays to everyone, happy Hannukah.

As for christmas decorations and carols, it depresses me more that it gets me cheery but I still enjoy seeing them more than not at all.

Last edited:

Luke1993

I like the idea of christmas, giving gifts and stuff but it means having to be around my family a lot, who I don't really get on with.

I usually clebrate christmas by myself by having a nice cigar and drinking whiskey! :)

scoobycrawler

I hate christmas but I'm a saint so that don't even make sense but its true. Prably since im pretty much dirt poor and what not gona recieve anything from anyone anyhow...

The Nephilim

Thanks for sharing guys, god, it sucks how this thing can make one the most enjoyable times of the year for most, miserable for us.

It's my first xmas away from home. That's taken a little pressure off me this year, it's usually a really stressful time, especially New Years, as like you Phocas, I tend to put a lot of expectation on it.

This year my partner and I are volunteering at a mission to help with xmas lunch for lonely elderly and homeless and public in general who don't have any friends or family to spend xmas day with. I'm really looking forward to it, It's going to push me out of my comfort zone though.

Horatio

I travel out of town to spend Christmas Day with my immediate family. New Years.... well I'm not looking forward to it at all. I know I'll just spend it at home alone.

By far the best thing I ever did with a New Years Eve was go camping on my own and ending up in a spectacular thunderstorm at midnight. It was just myself, a bottle of whiskey and the elements.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Well New Years is easy, I'll be staying at home (probably on here...) No anxiety unless for some reason I get invited somewhere because I know I'll have to say no thanks.

Christmas comes in three parts for me. My immediate family I'll be fine around, just maybe a little unsure of how to react to opening presents. This is Christmas morning.

Then my dad's side of the family. I'll go into silent mode, probably only talking to my sister or when spoken to. I'm not super uncomfortable, but not outgoing either.

Then my mom's side. This is one of the most dreaded days of the year for me. They're not bad people or anything, I am just extremely uncomfortable around them. There are a lot of differences in personalities, and my mom's sister and her kids are usually dominant. And my cousins are the type of people I can get very uncomfortable around; outgoing, extroverted, and...blunt maybe? It's also a bigger crowd, around 15 people maybe. I'm hoping I can find a way out it, because I know it will be 10 hours of extreme discomfort, even if I do try to be comfortable.

emerald_star733

For years every Xmas i would have to work, so not much...but i would try to make the best of it and make my coworkers feel special even if they could be twits, and once off i would go to my brothers for dinner/presents etc and then throw an online party in the chatrooms when i got home(if and when i was alone)... haha.. seriously, and everyone would bring a cyber imaginary gift.. kind of silly.. but fun.. and we would play xmas tunes over the puter and just be there for each other. Now that i live far away from family it is just hubby and me and he has to work so it kinda sucks... but usually if it was just the two of us we would do something for someone in need(blankets for the homeless, giving gifts to kids in need, whatever before we enjoy the night ourselves,then watch Xmas shows as i love the shows from when i was a kid ie. rudolph, frosty etc., listen to Xmas tunes, sip eggnog that might be spiked lol, then go for a walk at midnight when the snow is gently falling(it always seems to), then i would usually end up in the snowbank.. grr lol
then when he would be asleep i would fill the room with presents under the tree... er.. Santa would.. so he would be so surprised once he woke up...(kind of like recreating the feeling a kid gets), then make him a huge breakfast, open pressies, call loved ones to wish them a merry christmas even if they don't deserve it as my heart gets bigger at xmas, then see close family and friends on skype so we can see them instead of just hearing their voices... then i would get the turkey in the oven, relax most of the day besides tending to dinner , eat dinner, relax...
this year will be a bit different, he has to work... and i found out my mom is surprising me.. yea, she is not the greatest at trying to hide surprises so i am acting like i don't know lol.. but i haven't seen her in a year and a half so i am excited! so that is between myself and all of you shhhhhh lol... and my dear aunt died last year.. so i will be carrying on her tradition of making the best fudge in the world... i miss her, she was the best...::(:
as for new years... new years i will be alone...hub has to work, mom will be gone... and the rest of my family and friends don't live here... so i will toast the new year alone.. and reflect on the past year and what i want for the year to come...:eek: this is a ridiculously long post... so sorry people...!! i got carried away... just skip it.. lol

Sinar_Matahari

My husband will be out of town because he's going to be visiting his family for Xmas and New Years. My friends all want me to celebrate with them. My mother wants me to celebrate with her. I don't really want to spend time with my parents, but if I celebrate with my friends then my mom is going to be ass-hurt and I'm going to have to deal with her childish, passive-aggressive nonesense every time I see her. Her Xmas consists of eating pastries, watching TV and going to sleep.

I'm pretty sure that my New Years will be a good one.

coyote

My husband will be out of town because he's going to be visiting his family for Xmas and New Years. My friends all want me to celebrate with them. My mother wants me to celebrate with her. I don't really want to spend time with my parents, but if I celebrate with my friends then my mom is going to be ass-hurt and I'm going to have to deal with her childish, passive-aggressive nonesense every time I see her. Her Xmas consists of eating pastries, watching TV and going to sleep.

I'm pretty sure that my New Years will be a good one.

I'll bring some chestnuts

It'll be fun