What are your Memories of Sport at School?

Phoenixx

Most of my friends did track and cross country. They always wanted me to join them. Ha! No way. I'd die in cross country. Non-athletic me + asthma + long-distance running = Me collapsing and gasping for air, only to finally die in the middle of the woods or some unknown rural area. :rolleyes: No thank you. Track never really interested me either. Although at one point I considered just going for sprinting, after a friend recommended it. I can run pretty fast with short distances surprisingly, even though I can't do anything long distance. Still couldn't do it though, I didn't think I could handle all those people watching me.

Tuukka40

I liked gym in high school. Completed it my freshman year and was a gym leader (helps gym teacher and gym students) my senior year.

I played hockey and got all state honors junior and senior year as well as got to play in the state senior all star game.

Sports will be the highlight of high school for me because I skipped out on everything else I wish I did. I regret doing that, one year removed from high school.

But hockey has always been and is still the light of my life.

DeadmanWalking

I played sports a lot when I was a child, but, as I grew up, I began to lose interest in it. I played sometimes in 8th grade, but that was only because my grade relied on me playing. For the most part, I sat out and, because of who I am, I was hardly missed. In high school, I again only played because my grade relied on it; however, my classmates did attempted to get me to play. They cheered me on when I did something right and tried to coax me into playing when I planned on sitting out. My dreaded sport was basketball because I can't shoot or dribble to save everyone's lives::eek::; I was somewhat content playing everything else. But, it was thanks to P.E. in high school that I got rid of my fat, so all's well that ends well:)!

Aletheia

I was tall and skinny and used to trip over my own feet. I was always picked last.

I just couldn't figure out how it was done. I think I tried to calculate where the ball would end up. Even my five year old nephew knows that it has to come from your heart not your head.

The funny thing is, as people got older and started to take it less seriously, I got better. I can catch something if it doesn't matter if I don't.

TheRadicalAnxiousLefty

I hated sports. I'd always beg mum to let me stay home from athletics day. I'd studiously avoid sports if I could. I only did football one year because I thought that everyone basically had to. But I hated that as well.

Luke1993

Similar to you Mike, I have a disability so I did not play sports. I can't really run or anything so it kinda ruled me out completely BUT I did compete in the egg and spoon race.

Yeah not being able to play sports hurt my self esteem and friend making a lot I think, especially in high school.

Since my school days, playing a team sport (since primary school), what little social life i had with that rapidly went down-hill from there .. and never recovered.

Also I have a relatively large mole on my leg and I was always very self concious about it (pulling socks up high etc). Kids in elementary and highschool were very cruel. So in later phases, I always wore training pants instead of shorts, and nobody even knew I had it. Still don't feel comfortable wearing shorts in summer
Ha ha .. i had a big fat mole right smack in the very middle of my leg (the knee). So no socks were ever HIGH enough, and no shorts were ever (back then) LONG enough. All i could do was cover it with my arms whenever possible, or hide it with my schoolbag, or even better just hide behind other people. I ALWAYS wore longs outside of school, even in summer. This "THING" was in my view, one of a small handful of catalysts which triggered the start of my long downward spiral into the CRAP life i have now.
Perhaps if i had not had these few "problems" then i might not have devloped the complexes/phobias/etc i have to this day - but then again maybe it might not have made that much of a difference (as i would have probably MADE UP problems in order to "fill my need" of having complexes/etc) (???)

Richey

i enjoyed soccer and basketball however i distinctly remember avoiding the class that involved gymnastics each student had to climb onto the high swing and hang upside down off the bar with the mats below for safety. its not that i couldn't do it, it's just that i didn't want to try it in front of the class..

WeirdyMcGee

I ran track until grade 7 - then I hit puberty and couldn't take 3 steps without tripping over my own feet. I enjoyed sports up until then... and then avoided sports like the plague because it was too embarrassing...and then it was just not good for me.

School up until I entered highschool was pretty good, I guess.
We had 3 recesses and through most of the winter, recess wouldn't be outdoors mandatory because my school was on the poor side of town and alot of kids didn't have proper outdoor clothes to keep them from getting frostbite.
Gym was every other day - 1 hour long and we had 4 sports days every year.
-The Terry Fox run/ Hillcrest marathon
- Winter sports carnival
- and Track and field day (took 2 entire days)
Most of the things we'd do in gym class required very little equipment (like ultimate frisbee or capture the flag or snow soccer) because our school's budget was miniscule.

My highschool was a team sports oriented school.
I was an arts student--- this meant that the school would spend money every year on sending teams away- paying for nice hotels - paying for new uniforms and shoes and equipment and sprucing up the field... and diverting no money to the computers/a.v/music/arts departments.
My 2nd, 3rd and 4th years of art; I had to buy all of my own supplies from a store 3 hours out of town just to do any of the art projects that would normally be paid for by the school.
Paint, paint brushes and clay were all re-used and shared between all 200 students in art each semester.
We didn't even fire a single sculpture or piece of pottery for 2 years and when we did, we had to pay $5 for the clay and slip we'd used that could've been reused.

My one semester of gym in grade 9 was torture.
I'd brought a note from my doctor, saying I couldn't participate because I wasn't physically capable and if it weren't for me writing a 110% final exam, I would've failed miserably and had to try again the next year... and the next year... and the next year... it would've been the worst thing to ever happen. XD
Highschool was the point in my life where my health was the worst.
I couldn't do anything physical without putting myself in a coma. :rolleyes:
...so... I dislike gym. I don't fancy sports. I really don't like sports oriented schools.
haha

Ms Cloud

I always refused to put any effort into sports because I never saw anything remotely fun about them. One exception was badminton; I found that game to be mildly amusing, and not unpleasant. I was pretty good at it for a while. But the most fun I had in gym class was one semester when we did orienteering. Running around the forest with a map, alone, looking for hidden targets-- I was in my element. I kicked everybody's ass at orienteering. No contest.

I didn't mind cross-country skiing; it was boring but not unpleasant. I never got a chance to do downhill skiiing though. I might try that some time. (Hmm... I just remembered, I live only a short walk from a ski hill.)

All my other memories of gym class have been repressed.

gustavofring

Perhaps if i had not had these few "problems" then i might not have devloped the complexes/phobias/etc i have to this day - but then again maybe it might not have made that much of a difference (as i would have probably MADE UP problems in order to "fill my need" of having complexes/etc) (???)

That's the question, isn't it. I'm a believer in conditioning though, and I think your environment and how it reacts to you shapes you, but it's also how you interpret the world yourself and to what degree you let it get to you. I don't think anyone truly "needs" complexes and phobia's. They're a negative side effect/defense mechanism of things that have happened to you.

Looking back I think people would have been far less cruel if I just chose to wear my socks low and not being so shameful about it, awkwardly trying to cover it up. But that's really not important now. I'm trying to not live out of my negative experiences in the past anymore.

Last edited: