What about our kids ?

The thought of me bringing another life into this world frightens me.

I want kids but I don't know if I'd be able to do it the old fashioned way, I'll feel like I have less pressure on me to be a parent if I just adopt. (because its more of me doing a favor for someone else and I'm not FORCED)

Bama_Heath

It kind of scares me at the thought of just having a child. It sounds selfish maybe but I'm always thinking about how I'm wrapped up in fixing my own SA problems. I don't think I'm ready to handle fixing myself and raising a child at the same time...I'm not sure that's even possible or fair to a child. I don't know if SA is caused from genetics or social upbringing or both....but I would hope I would not pass it down to my kid...or kids.

lyricalliaisons

I would never have children until I was far better & more capable of dealing with the world than I am now (which is one of the many reasons I probably won't ever have kids). But if I do get well enough to have kids, I would notice the signs in my kids & immediately get help for them. No one got help for me as a kid & that's why I know it progressed to being as bad as it is now. As long as I get help for them when they're young, I won't have to worry about them turning out like me.

Pookah

I can barely handle the red tape and such in my own life. I have a meltdown if I have to fill out a form I don't understand.

Kids require doctor visits, teacher visits, socializing...eventually college and a car. They need tons of support. You can't throw them a hotdog and sit them in front of a tv. I would go nuts reading books on child rearing and ways to bring them up whilst being afraid of how they will turn out because of me, what might happen to them, how they will feel about me and if they will be happy.

Ignace

I will never have kids if I'm not capable of giving them the best life they could have, they need socializing,.. Everyting Pookah said. And what about us ? (It's a song)

awkwardamanda

There are so many reasons I don't want kids. First off, I just hate them. They're whiny and annoying. They yell and scream and get in trouble. I don't think they're cute and I don't get all excited about babies the way most women do. Now that being said, I wouldn't have a clue what to do with a child. I'm never really around kids, for one thing. But I'd basically be a terrible parent because of the issues I have. And at least I can acknowledge that. Plenty of people have kids when they really aren't cut out to be parents. And then the kids grow up with all kinds of problems. I've never really had any close relationships with anybody. I'm not very family oriented and I guess that's because I'm not very sociable. I like to keep my distance and I think if I had kids I'd have a hard time connecting with them. If I had a kid it would probably end up like me because it wouldn't really get to learn how to interact with people. But if it did learn to socialize alright at school like a normal child, I wouldn't know how to deal with it. I can't look back and think, been there and done that. I never had the typical teenage social life and I wasn't a rebel at all but if I had a kid like that I'd be baffled as to what to do about it. I feel like I missed out on a lot of normal growing up things, but I certainly wouldn't want to live vicariously through my children. I was also very stressed out growing up and right through university. I was constantly busy doing homework and never had a chance to socialize anyway. I was always tired and didn't have enough time to enjoy life at all. I didn't have enough me time. Hell if I'm gonna go through that again as an adult. I need a chance to try and sort out my life a bit. I just want a quiet life with minimal stress. Raising children is a huge responsibility that requires 24/7 commitment. I don't think its selfish to want to enjoy life for myself. It's just a choice. There is no way I could be happy as a parent and so I wouldn't be able to provide any children with everything they need. I have a hard enough time trying to take care of myself. I can't handle a family. If I happen to luck out and find a guy worth marrying, then great, but he'd have to be someone who doesn't want kids. Most likely it'll just be me and some cats.

Luke1993

I can't have kids as it would be selfish of me to pass my bone disease along, let alone my rest of my craziness. I would prolly suck as a father too.

yes me too for the same reasons, i want the gene to end with me. Also I'd need to be with someone which doen't seem very likely. But yeah the closest I would come to having a child is by adopting one, but of course I'd need to sort myself out first!

secretly awesome

Well I have a 5yo daughter who is an only child and lives with her mother. I spend every 1 or 2 weekends with her. When I take her to the park, or McDonald's playplace, I can see that she is shy to approach kids. If someone picks her out, then she tends to follow them around and join their game. If she is rejected in the slightest way she will get very sad and withdrawn. The other day she took me aside and told me, "You know I'm sad and I feel alone." These things remind me of me, and it's hard to watch. Sometimes i don't quite know the right thing to say, because I haven't really solved these problems myself. And it's possible that she has this behavior mainly with me because I don't have any friends with kids, and we tend to go places alone, just me and her.

Luckily her mother is a very social person and is her main social behavioral model. My daughter is doing well in school, has friends there, and overall it is agreed that she is a happy, caring child.

Over the last half year I have been through times of severe depression which involved staying in bed for weeks unless I was alone in the house. At these times I would avoid seeing her, partially because I was in a very foul, foul mood, and also because I didn't want her to see me in my state of emotional invalidism. Unless I can resolve certain problems, I sometimes envision things becoming more and more awkward between us, as she compares me to other men.

xxaimsxx

My family have never had sa and agoraphobia like me. My mum had depression years ago but thats it.
If i carry on the way i am i'll never even have kids let alone worrying about what they will turn out like.