Well maybe I'm the oldest newbie here....

:greeting:
I'm 60 years old which seems incredibly ollllldddd to me. I have had Social Anxiety in some form or another all my life, it seems. However it has increased exponentially over the last 12 years. More on that another time.

I have explored the forums a little bit and this seems like a great community. I get the feeling everyone is cheering each other on - and offering help when able.

I live in a rural area on my dad's property. Dad is 90 now and we are the best of friends, and I feel my place on earth is to take good care of him and make his life as stress free as possible. I spend more time and energy making sure I have no contact with the outside world. When I am alone one day, I foresee myself having no contact except with my dogs who are my best friends.

Have any of you just happily accepted that you are who you are? Who cares if we have a label - if we are happy and comfortable, why change? I will continue to explore the forums here to learn more. Can you recommend forums that might address this?

I could go on and on, but anyway, just wanted to introduce myself and will be perhaps adding my small bits to conversations around here. I wish you all well.

Hello, Goldensilence. Welcome to the forum.

Even though it's minimal in description, your home sounds like a lovely place. I hope you'll find what you're looking for here. And don't be afraid to ask things where existing information doesn't suffice.

As for your question, I think self acceptance is one of the final steps in the eventuality that the social phobia itself can't be conquered completely. I am myself working avidly on exactly that, but it's definitely not a struggle that I see end any time soon. But regardless, try I must.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Welcome to the site, Goldensilence.

The older I've gotten, the more I've begun to let myself be. While I still have nagging pangs of loneliness, the beats have gotten further and further apart. I suspect that someday I'll be quite fine existing alone, confident that it's probably all for the best.

I think it's great that you're there for your father, I'm sure he considers your presence a real blessing. :)

Thanks everyone!

Wow, okay, this is the most welcoming forum ever! I feel very comfortable here already. Thank you for that. Of course most of my 'social' life is only done thru computer. So that works great!

I know I'm in the intro forum, so I'll check around and post more in other threads so I don't get too off topic.

:perfect:

Thanks for your reply!
I think perhaps my problem solved in that I now accept it and even embrace it. When I was younger I had anxiety, but I was still outgoing and somewhat 'social'. The older I became the more I retreated into my mind.

Kiwong

Hello Golden Silence. I too love my independence and solitude. I realise I am happiest in my own company. I connect with the world as much as I am comfortable with, but like it most when I remain anonymous.

cowboyup

Welcome to the forum, GoldenSilence.
I am in my mid 40s ... eeks, I just typed that didn't I?

I've had SA for quite some time - I am still trying to find my 'way' through the jungle, but at times when I have some clarity, I can just accept who I am and it's OK.

Wishing you well & don't be a stranger :)

SunnyB

Hi GoldenSilence, plus everyone else. I only joined a couple of days ago and it's always good to know that there are other people out there who feel the same way.
I honestly believe a lot of my SA comes from the idea that we are meant to be social. The media seems to to be biased towards it. Despite the fact that some of the greatest minds of all time prefer(red) to be alone.