This is why I don't like religion

this_portrait

I'm not surprised, actually. They protest everything, in fact I think they even protested (or at least were going to) at the Sandy Hook funerals. This isn't a church, it's a family cult more than anything.

Section_31

Abolish the right to protest at funerals. Crack down hard. make an example to others. Make the punishment so bad that its simply not worth it for them.

If they have a problem, they can simple do a massive email/letter writing campaign and be ignored by the government.

Problem solved.

A bit....police statish?? Maybe.

But eventually people at a funeral will become enraged, there'll be a huge fight, people will be hurt...it can be avoided if actioni s taken.

Last edited:
I almost posted an article about this but thought why bother, WBC does this at every major event. It's not really news anymore. And they want the attention.

GhastlyCC

The Phelps family are such a bunch of turgid ****s.
It would do my heart alot of good to hear that the entire family got hit by a bus.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I suppose they have a right to believe whatever they wish, but I wonder if they think the method they are using to get their message across is efficient or effective in any way, or ethical by their own moral standards. I mean, I guess jumping from major funeral to major funeral certainly gets them the media attention they want, as we can see. But it's like a bunch of environmentalists protesting a funeral of a family that died from contaminated water. You protest the people responsible for the contamination, not a bunch of saddened people mourning the loss of loved ones, and for all you know agree with already.

Their cause is pretty much hopeless anyway with the direction the nation is going anyways (fortunately), and if anything their protests are counterproductive and actually accelerating the direction we're going.

While I'm not a religion groupie of any kind, I don't quite think the Westboro Batist Church represents any significant portion of any religion. Whatever they do, shouldn't colour anyone's opinion on religion as a whole.. even a little bit. They're a cult and have their own tailored beliefs. Like, there's religion (and its various branches), and then there's whatever the W.B.C. is.

The only thing that W.B.C. represents is mankind's ability of living in utter denial, capacity for hate, how easy and strong manipulation is, and how unconditional stubbornness can turn us into monsters without the slightest regard for another person/creature's suffering.

rosewood

i have met people who claim to be christian and organize in groups to protest these "protestors" at funerals, by showing up in force with as many Harley Davidsons they can drive in and they park it and rev the engines to drown out the screaming protestors. (not eye for eye, but an ear...old testament style)

i can only imagine how the funeral goers feel about all the noise either in support or not ...

funeral protesting has to be the stupidest thing on the planet.

MikeyC

The Westboro Baptist Church will protest any funeral and blame gay marriage for the tragedy.

While I think their methods are quite despicable - and that's putting it nicely - I don't believe all religious people should be akin to them.

Section_31

Its a good thing they never show up at one of my families funerals...most of my family are a bunch of rednecks from BC.....theyed simply beat the crap out of these clowns, then smile in the courtroom and buy them wardrobes later.

Some things should just be respected and left alone. Give the fallen some dignity.

rawr!

destructoroflife

Boggles my mind how these tards are allowed to speak in public.

These groups should be treated as any other racist stupid group. Of course it never will, because religion is widely "tolerated", which boggles me even more.

Lowlight

From my understanding, The Bill of Rights of the US Constitution (which includes the right to free speech) is set up to protect us (the people) from the government interfering with our free speech. The First Amendment doesn’t protect you from me, a private citizen, stopping your speech.

The Patriot Guard Riders, as rosewood has stated, are a group of individuals that bring their motorcycles to funerals of fallen soldiers to drown out the protests of the WBC. They even bring dozens and dozens of American flags to visually block the view of the WBC from the service. This, to me, is an example of the best way to deal with hate speech/groups. The government should not be restricting speech, however unpopular and vile as it may be, because that is a slippery slope that I don’t trust politicians to navigate. It is our responsibility, as conscientious citizens, to meet hate speech with more speech. Protest the protestors.

I would never encourage people to be violent or break the law. As long as you are willing to accept the consequences for your actions you should do what you need to do.

LoyalXenite

The Westboro Baptist Church will protest any funeral and blame gay marriage for the tragedy.

While I think their methods are quite despicable - and that's putting it nicely - I don't believe all religious people should be akin to them.

I agree, i personally am atheist and have many grudges against many religious people (i was brought up in a very christian family). However the WBC are not so much a religious group but a hate group.

hexagon_sun

The truth is the human mind is wired to be in cults. Our minds are not intrisincly designed to be skeptical. Through evolution we've become VERY good at following orders; even if they conflict with our own prime directives... It is true that any and all religions are basicly cults, but it is also true that any "sub-culture" can be considered a cult if there are mores and folkways (rules) that are unique to that culture. We have an inate need to be part of some group... ANY group. CHOOSE WISELY

Last edited: