There is no need to be ashamed

hoddesdon

There have been a number of comments along the lines of "I am ashamed that I have social phobia".

That is unjustified. What are the causes? Well, broadly, they are:

. genetics

. shortage of neurotransmitters dopamine and seratonin in the brain
. family history

. personality traits predisposing to anxiety conditions

. creativity
. a sense of morality
. perfectionism
. a sense of responsibility
. imagination
. intelligence
. being a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

. experiences out of your control

. dysfunctional family
. bullying at school

. environment

. over-protective parents
. parental disapproval
. unfavourable comparison with a sibling
. birth order
. enforced isolation
. family moved around a lot
. migration to another country

Genetics: the first two points are not your fault.

Traits predisposing to anxiety conditions: they are positive, just taken too far sometimes. Creativity is positive; a sense of morality is positive; perfectionism is positive in certain circumstances e.g. medicine; the opposite of a sense of responsibility is irresponsibility; imagination is positive, just taken too far in focussing on what might happen rather than what is likely to happen. The opposite of concern about being judged is callous indifference to everything: a psychopath. I doubt any psychopaths have social phobia. If everyone were a highly sensitive person, you would have a workable world; if everyone were totally insensitive, then you would not have a workable world.

Experiences were out of your control. They usually occur early, when you have not grown up yet and lack experience to mobilise against them. Their effects tend to take root in virgin soil, and persist irrespective whether circumstances change. That applies to everyone. The Chinese used to bind girls' feet to prevent them from growing - they did not start growing later when the binding was removed.

Without outside intervention, there was not much you could do about a dysfunctional family situation. The same applies to bullying in school or within the family. These are both situations where you were necessarily at a disadvantage. Not only that, the effects were severe. So it is hardly surprising that they have a significant impact. The nervous system operates on the basis that it is better to mistake a stick for a snake than vice versa. Hence your reaction to the worst situation you have experienced tends to become the benchmark even if the objective circumstances have changed.

Environment is also outside your control.

Had you had different genes, or been switched in the hospital at birth - and hence had different experiences - things would have turned out differently. If you change the result by changing factors outside your control, then the result is not your fault.

Being ashamed is a barrier to improving matters, since it makes you think you deserve it. It is one of the ways social phobia tries to defend itself. You are not social phobia; it does not define you: social phobia is a medical condition just as influenza is.

WeirdyMcGee

I really appreciate you posting this, hoddesdon-- I could pretty much mark myself off as 99% of the things on your lists and it makes complete sense.

D

deleted user 1

Easily the best post I've ever read on here!! Very much appreciated :)

maiato

Banned
Sometimes wish it were a genetic problem and that could be easily solved with some drug. Unfortunately, I admit the external (family, society, experiences) has a big contribution. At least in my case.

worrywort

Brillant post Hoddesdon! Really important to hear these things sometimes. I especially like your list of personality traits predisposing to anxiety dispositions. I've often wondered myself whether those parts of my personality have contributed to my social anxiety. I think you're right.

joyce

There have been a number of comments along the lines of "I am ashamed that I have social phobia".

That is unjustified. What are the causes? Well, broadly, they are:

. genetics

. shortage of neurotransmitters dopamine and seratonin in the brain
. family history

. personality traits predisposing to anxiety conditions

. creativity
. a sense of morality
. perfectionism
. a sense of responsibility
. imagination
. intelligence
. being a Highly Sensitive Person (HSP)

. experiences out of your control

. dysfunctional family
. bullying at school

. environment

. over-protective parents
. parental disapproval
. unfavourable comparison with a sibling
. birth order
. enforced isolation
. family moved around a lot
. migration to another country

Genetics: the first two points are not your fault.

Traits predisposing to anxiety conditions: they are positive, just taken too far sometimes. Creativity is positive; a sense of morality is positive; perfectionism is positive in certain circumstances e.g. medicine; the opposite of a sense of responsibility is irresponsibility; imagination is positive, just taken too far in focussing on what might happen rather than what is likely to happen. The opposite of concern about being judged is callous indifference to everything: a psychopath. I doubt any psychopaths have social phobia. If everyone were a highly sensitive person, you would have a workable world; if everyone were totally insensitive, then you would not have a workable world.

Experiences were out of your control. They usually occur early, when you have not grown up yet and lack experience to mobilise against them. Their effects tend to take root in virgin soil, and persist irrespective whether circumstances change. That applies to everyone. The Chinese used to bind girls' feet to prevent them from growing - they did not start growing later when the binding was removed.

Without outside intervention, there was not much you could do about a dysfunctional family situation. The same applies to bullying in school or within the family. These are both situations where you were necessarily at a disadvantage. Not only that, the effects were severe. So it is hardly surprising that they have a significant impact. The nervous system operates on the basis that it is better to mistake a stick for a snake than vice versa. Hence your reaction to the worst situation you have experienced tends to become the benchmark even if the objective circumstances have changed.

Environment is also outside your control.

Had you had different genes, or been switched in the hospital at birth - and hence had different experiences - things would have turned out differently. If you change the result by changing factors outside your control, then the result is not your fault.

Being ashamed is a barrier to improving matters, since it makes you think you deserve it. It is one of the ways social phobia tries to defend itself. You are not social phobia; it does not define you: social phobia is a medical condition just as influenza is.

wow your smart

coyote

facebook_like_button_big.jpg

abner

Need

Our nervous system operates on the basis that it is better to mistake a stick for a worst.There is also need to make improvement in our daily life styles.

Tiercel

I'm not ashamed of my social phobia.

I'm ashamed that for years I've let social phobia and depression keep me from living my life. However, I'm not ashamed to say that after completely wasting a decade of my life I'm finding it extremely difficult to change.

It's hard to sail on the sea of life when one has been a piece of driftwood for one's entire adult life. But once I get a few more pieces I can start to make a raft. And then maybe a paddle or two....

Kinetik

Good post, H. I readily identify with a lot of the things in it. I was moved from England to Holland when I was 7 (never really got over that, to be honest) and I felt ridiculed/alienated by my parents in many ways, with no real guidance to speak of, and a highly argumentative/dysfunctional family to boot.

But as others have said, there's no real shame in it for me. I just wish I was more relaxed around other people and that I could actually learn to love and trust others as well. Aside from that I'm fairly happy with myself.

JamesSmith

Your post is detailed and outstanding, I appreciate someone telling it how it is.

Many of our fellow SA people don't understand how much of this disorder is not our fault.

Preaching to the choir, hoddeson, preaching to the choir.

ILovePocky

As everyone else said, this is a great post. Thank you for sharing it :)

I'm not ashamed of my social phobia.

I'm ashamed that for years I've let social phobia and depression keep me from living my life. However, I'm not ashamed to say that after completely wasting a decade of my life I'm finding it extremely difficult to change.

It's hard to sail on the sea of life when one has been a piece of driftwood for one's entire adult life. But once I get a few more pieces I can start to make a raft. And then maybe a paddle or two....
I agree. I'm ashamed that I haven't been really trying to fight it. Instead of pushing myself to overcome it, I've let it control me =/