The Internet Addiction Test

I got a 49- like philly, I thought mine would be higher, but most of the questions were kind of an all or nothing for me- so I guess the "rarely" situations balanced out the "always" situations ::p:

reslo

20 - 49 points: You are an average on-line user. You may surf the Web a bit too long at times, but you have control over your usage.

I'm not sure how to answer these. When I want to say "never" should I choose "rarely" or "does not apply"?

I tried it both ways and got 36 and 23. Which is funny, since I'm online my entire waking life -- it's just that I don't consider it a problem or try to stop.

Anubis

I would choose "does not apply" when the question contains elements that are not possible based on your situation. For example, if I didn't have an intimate partner (which I don't), #3 obviously wouldn't apply.

But imo, everything else is worded in a way that should at least have some relevance to your life, even if it may be absolutely small as to be almost irrelevant. In that case, rare would be the most adequate option.

Emily_G

I can't take it...there's no "Never" option, only rarely. I'd have to answer "Never" to some of those questions and I can't....

But imo, everything else is worded in a way that should at least have some relevance to your life, even if it may be absolutely small as to be almost irrelevant. In that case, rare would be the most adequate option.

The school and relationship ones are obvious "does not apply"s, but a bunch of others are harder to figure.

People can't complain about the amount of time I spend online, or bother me while I'm online, because I live alone -- and I never need to be secretive or hide it because nobody cares what I do on my own. That's four questions there. Checking my email before doing something would be a work-related activity for me as I don't tend to use email for fun much. My job performance may suffer because of parts of the internet, but since I work online I certainly can't say I'd be more productive without the internet. I can't really lose sleep to the internet because I can sleep in to whenever I want. I can't choose to go online instead of spending time with others because I don't have a social life where anyone would be available to spend time with.

So that's 8 questions that I don't know how to answer. Taking internet quizzes always makes me feel unhuman, the way they don't seem to consider the possibility of people like me.

Last edited:

Anubis

The school and relationship ones are obvious "does not apply"s, but a bunch of others are harder to figure.

People can't complain about the amount of time I spend online, or bother me while I'm online, because I live alone -- and I never need to be secretive or hide it because nobody cares what I do on my own. That's four questions there. Checking my email before doing something would be a work-related activity for me as I don't tend to use email for fun much. My job performance may suffer because of parts of the internet, but since I work online I certainly can't say I'd be more productive without the internet. I can't really lose sleep to the internet because I can sleep in to whenever I want. I can't choose to go online instead of spending time with others because I don't have a social life where anyone would be available to spend time with.

So that's 8 questions that I don't know how to answer. Taking internet quizzes always makes me feel unhuman, the way they don't seem to consider the possibility of people like me.

True, sometimes these tests are heavily geared toward pleasing everyone that they forget everyone has different circumstances.

If that's the case, then I'd just forget about it, and chalk the error on the testing company. No need to feel bad :)

But if you're still interested in taking the test, perhaps you could apply the questions to when you did go to school, or when you weren't alone (i.e. with family). But that's assuming you had the internet back then. If not, then don't worry about it.

Lea

Banned
I got 28. Thanks god for the Does not apply options, because with me somehow most things just don't apply, as I am not normal.