The Impossible: Done :D

IamThisOne

This is sort of an update to the thread I posted a few days ago entitled Potential Friends.

So I did it. At lunch today I went up to the girl and I sat with her and talked to her.

I went into the cafeteria and OH GOD! was I nervous. I got my food and I was filling my glass with some coke and I was thinking, "maybe I shouldn't do it". Then I started thinking about how bad I felt the other day when I got scared and backed out. I knew I would beat myself up over it if I didn't do it. So I just took a deep breath and walked over to her. I acted like I was looking for a table, then I looked at her and said, " Hey, would you like some company?". The words just came out like I had no control over them.

She said, "sure". So I sat down and for a few seconds I just looked around and ate a few of my fries. Then I asked her if it was her first year at college. We talked about school and stuff. She seemed to be quite friendly to me (I think that is good). She said that she didn't know anyone at college, except for some people that she went to high school with. Now, I might be wrong, but the fact that she is always alone suggests that she might not have too many friends, so me talking to her might have been good. My brother told me that all girls like attention, so I guess it's good that I gave her some, I'm not sure though. When I left I said, "see you later, have a good day". She said, " you too". One thing that I forgot to do is introduce myself, so I still don't know her name and she doesn't know mine. I plan on sitting with her again Tuesday, so that will be the first thing I do. Do you think I screwed things up?

What was good was that my voice didn't break or anything. I sounded a little nervous, but not that bad. My brother told me not to sound scared and pitiful and to be confident. I think I sounded quite confident, at least more than normal. Now, don't get me wrong, I was nervous, and shaking a bit. Another thing was that when I was eating, I was worrying about the way I was eating. I had a slice of pizza and some fries because I didn't want to get something too messy or greasy. I was worrying like, "am I eating too fast, is she disgusted, do I have stuff on my mouth". When I was finished eating I left. I would have stayed longer but I was nervous and anxious which caused me to not be hungry anyway (I usually stuff myself when I eat).

I saw her again when I was coming out of class. I told myself I would wave at her if I saw her again, but didn't have time to talk to her. She was waiting for class and I had to get going, but anyway she kind of scared me because I was not expecting to see her. I quickly swung my hand up, but she didn't respond. I think it might have been because of the quickness of the wave that she didn't really see it, but I felt kind of bad, like she didn't like me. However, because of the way she talked to me at lunch I can tell she seemed to not think I was a bad person or a creep. However, I DON'T KNOW.

Judging by the information I have given, do you guys think that it went well? I would like some input on the matter, as well as any advice for the future.

When I left class after seeing her waiting for her class, I went to the bathroom and as I was walking back through the hall I saw her sitting at her desk writing. She was hunched over her desk with her head really close to the paper and I thought that was so cute because I do the same thing when I write.

I told myself that I need to make this work.

DanFC

AWESOME!!!! That's amazing man, congratulations! That took some real guts. She sounds like a really nice girl, keep going for it. At the very least, you've made a new friend ^_^

agoraphobickatie

:D :D

i was so happy to see this post! i'm so proud and so happy for you! no matter what happens, do you know how huge that step was?! you should feel so great that you even sat at lunch with her! that's so awesome!!! :)

anyway, it sounds to me like things went really well! you can't expect her to be your "BFF" after just one conversation, ya know? i think things seem pretty good for ya, bud! you haven't screwed anything up at all! it's a big plus that you didn't notice any obvious 'red flags' that she was annoyed or ill with you or anything.. i think you'll definitely be fine to sit and talk with her again on tuesday! maybe just go and say "hey, i don't even remember if i told you my name the other day? i'm sorry! haha" and then you'll get her name and you guys can talk more about classes and things, maybe how her weekend went or what you did.. maybe that'll lead into discussion about things you each enjoy doing, maybe she'll have some crazy great weekend story to share, or maybe you will.. who knows?! think positive! just try your best to relax and be yourself... as long as you're being genuine, you can't go wrong. and don't fret about eating.. everyone eats food, we all get sh!t on our face sometimes, we all talk with food in our mouth sometimes, most people just brush it off, it's something so common that i doubt she's really thinking about anything you're doing while you're eating, and i highly doubt that when you've parted ways, she's still thinking about something you ate, lol :)

best wishes to you! don't psych yourself out, you'll be fine, you got nuthin' to lose so just be easy, keep pushing yourself when you're scared and things will become more comfortable for you!

IamThisOne

Thanks everyone for the nice comments. I don't think I could have done it if it were not for everyone here. :)

friendchen

Your post is really really nice :D ..I am now smiling..nearly laughing lol :D :D..really cute..you did great reallyyy!!!!!

And just don't forget to ask her mail address too!!!! You can chat with her everyday without needing to be careful about your appearance :) ..good luck!

Tiercel

I was already to accomplish The Impossible, but it seems that you've beaten me to it. I was going to do it on Tuesday. Oh well, I guess I'll have to settle for the Seemingly Impossible. :rolleyes:

Congratulations! You were brave, friendly, and didn't overstay your welcome. And it's no big deal that you didn't have a proper introduction. Heck, you could even joke about it the next time you see her. "That pizza must have been amazing, because I completely forgot my manners." Especially if it's particularly bad, like it was at my college.

The only recommendations I'd give you would be to not blame yourself if things don't work out exactly as you'd hoped they would. Enjoy getting to know her instead of worrying if she thinks you're creepy, because you're not. Unless you go birdwatching like George McFly, that is. Besides that, I'd encourage you to not eat pizza and fries every time you sit with her. There's nothing inherently wrong with clogging one's arteries, but I've never heard of a girl being won over by one's impressive lack of dietary diversity.

:D

Damaged

Awwww, well done :D im so happy for you.
Don't spend too much time thinking about the wave or getting yourself down about it, because as you said she was talking to you a lot at lunch.

Just remember next time you see her get her name and email/number :D

Feathers

Great to hear about it!!!! :) YAY you did it!! You are very brave indeed!!

I think she was very happy too, to have someone to sit with.. Especially as you sound kinda nice the way you talked about regular things etc. And she says she doesn't have many friends etc.

Recommendations for next week: Don't just ask her about the weekend - if she has a lack of social life, she may be depressed about the weekend too - my social life was on weekdays at Uni, nothing special at weekends.. So you could say something like, 'How was your weekend and your week?' This way you give her a chance to tell you about what she likes best.. Also have something to say about whatever you ask her too, possibly something constructive, fun, good or something you really liked doing etc. or something she can relate to..

Also, this may sound funny, but: Don't wave! lol (as I told you before)
No biggie, just don't expect her to see it (especially if it's done fast), also she may be embarassed to acknowledge it in public or wave back until she gets to know you better (at least I was this way, even with guys that I liked, I didn't wave back. ever. I was too embarassed to wave. lol)
Just saying hi or nodding or just a quick eye contact and a grin may be great. Smiles can be good too, if you have a good attitude about it.. (think: confident and fun! not overthinking things or thinking about negative stuff, just happy to see her or something like that..) Just a way to acknowledge you know her and appreciate her, and not require any special effort from her if she's shy. (I also have some weird phobia of looking dorky when waving, so I just try to avoid it lol..) I may have waved to female friends but that's different, somehow..

Anyway, you did great!! Looking forward to hearing more!!

Getting her name next time would be great, not sure if you wanna ask for her e-mail/number already? I'd be a bit freaked out by a request from a stranger that we just had lunch with, unless we had a really great conversation about something interesting (Did you find any common interests?) or it was really great rapport (body language?) - in that case you might ask something like 'Hey, wanna chat online/hang out sometime later?' or you could invite her to any thing of interest (eg if you both like art or specific music, to a gallery opening or a concert) or maybe anything planned with your friends (if they can be trustworthy).. but then again I'm older and don't know the generations today that well.. :D Maybe you can ask your brother about this?

I'd expect a guy that would possibly be romantically interested to ask for e-mail/number, so are you? :D I've given number to guys I wasn't interested in romantically, but usually they were interested in more than friendship and it turned a bit weird, so hm?
Then again, freshman girls can be different - and just happy to get to know people-?

You can also just say, 'By the way I'm _______' next time you talk/sit with her, after you two spoke a bit.. No special introduction needed.. (not sure if pizza jokes are in line, especially if it's bad.. :) Some people don't appreciate or even understand or 'get' too complex jokes or irony lol.. so maybe wait with stuff like that until you get to know her better.. Oh and even if you go birdwatching you're cool in my book!!) Congrats on making a new friend yeah!! Go you!!

Last edited:

Meatballs

Good work buddy!!

As everyone has already said, it sounds positive, so don't worry yourself about it. You should just feel SO proud that you said you were gonna do something and actually DID it, even though it scared you immensely. That takes serious guts, nice work!!!!

This story just makes me want to go out there and face all my fears... and feel the thrill afterwards!

EscapeArtist

Wow!! That's impressive and inspiring. Good job!! wow that's something I can't see myself doing..that's a huge acheivement, and the conversation sounds like it went really well. Good starting line too :] sounds like the part of you that speaks on auto-pilot knows what it's doing.

Bones

Well done, it sounds like everything's going great for you, and even tho accidental, forgetting to introduce your self was a stroke of genius, as it means that you have something to break the ice next time to go sit with her :)

TooShyShy

Thats FANTASTIC good for you!!!!! I hope everyone who reads this and is love shy and/or has SA sees that you can get positive results and it feels reallllly good too i bet:D

Great poat!