the holy bible

krs2snow

Religious people don't seek truth, they seek an easy answer. And once they find that simple answer, they stick with it adamantly, but foolishly. As for your association with love and religion, that could not be farther from the truth. If religion needs to be associated with a word I would pick stupidity.

If I were to ask you to think of an evil thing done by religion, you would probably think of something before I even finish asking the question. Does it not settle well with some of you that if I were to ask you to think of an evil thing done in the name of atheism, you would find it hard to think of an example? Take that link provided by someone earlier in this thread. That person thought he would cure her daughter by talking to his imaginary god in his own head, instead of rushing her to a hospital. She died.. It's definitely not the first case of its kind, either! Only a religious person would find it appropriate to do this. Imagine if instead of praying for his daughters survival, he dropped pencils on the ground hoping that it would save her.. You would think he's absolutely mad! Well, both methods of trying to save her would have the same effect.

It would do people well to release themselves from such childish nonsense.

Maybe u should seek Liberation rather than Condemnation?

There's this crazy concept in life...I'll try to explain it....ok here I go:

Everyone is different. What does good for one person may do bad for another. Some people can't use religious beliefs to be a happier, better person...So they can use something else. Some people actually gain happiness and contentment through religious stuff....

I like to take my favorite teachings from pretty much any religion and apply them to my life and I'm happier because of it...But that might not work for some people.

So basically what I'm saying is do what makes YOU happy, and let other people do what makes THEM happy :)

3times

Has anyone ever drifted away from god. Becuz of the OCD. I believe n him and I'm baptised but the OCD/anxiety pushes me away and its kinda scary.

this_portrait

Religious people don't seek truth, they seek an easy answer. And once they find that simple answer, they stick with it adamantly, but foolishly. As for your association with love and religion, that could not be farther from the truth. If religion needs to be associated with a word I would pick stupidity.

If I were to ask you to think of an evil thing done by religion, you would probably think of something before I even finish asking the question. Does it not settle well with some of you that if I were to ask you to think of an evil thing done in the name of atheism, you would find it hard to think of an example? Take that link provided by someone earlier in this thread. That person thought he would cure her daughter by talking to his imaginary god in his own head, instead of rushing her to a hospital. She died.. It's definitely not the first case of its kind, either! Only a religious person would find it appropriate to do this. Imagine if instead of praying for his daughters survival, he dropped pencils on the ground hoping that it would save her.. You would think he's absolutely mad! Well, both methods of trying to save her would have the same effect.

It would do people well to release themselves from such childish nonsense.

I hope you're not generalizing here, because not every religious person is like that. In fact, there's hardly any like that. Only a small amount of groups still prohibit going to the doctor's office or hospital.

No one is perfect, and just because someone is an atheist, doesn't mean he/she is all high and mighty and better than his/her religious counterpart. I've met plenty of idiots from both sides, and I like to refer to them as 'radicals' who know nothing about acceptance.

This isn't meant to be an attack or anything, btw.

Pookah

There's this crazy concept in life...I'll try to explain it....ok here I go:

Everyone is different. What does good for one person may do bad for another. Some people can't use religious beliefs to be a happier, better person...So they can use something else. Some people actually gain happiness and contentment through religious stuff....

I like to take my favorite teachings from pretty much any religion and apply them to my life and I'm happier because of it...But that might not work for some people.

So basically what I'm saying is do what makes YOU happy, and let other people do what makes THEM happy :)

^ I agree.

I am an agnostic deist/pandeist. I find there are little grains of truth throughout religions just as there are corruptions. If the positive tenets are used well to guide someone through life I am all for it. It is when people use something as an excuse to harm themselves or others that it becomes questionable but in the end that is up to the individual. Anyone religious or not can be ignorant and spread pain with their actions. It is the belief that you and only you have it right that is dangerous and this goes for atheists too.

Thelema

Try to keep the thread on topic.

If you just want to discuss God's existence or not and post canned responses, there have already been threads on that.

this_portrait

You are absolutely correct about there being idiots on both sides. But when it comes to who is more intellectually honest with themselves, they are not on the same level at all. Religious people lie to themselves to feel better. I'll leave them alone in real life, but I find it hard to respect that. I know not all religious people are terrible, but a lot of them are. Have you heard of something called "hell house"? It's a church group in texas or some place, where they take young kids (around 11) and brainwash them into thinking they will go to hell unless blah blah blah. Absolutely disgusting.

My point is, religion poisons a lot of peoples minds. Give me ONE other example of a belief system that would make people agree with hell house being an okay thing to do? There isn't one. Only religion. I feel sympathy for those poor kids.

I have not heard of this 'hell house,' but I have heard of many groups like it. I consider these groups to be cults, and there have been cases where worse has been done than just threatening little kids that they'll go to hell if they don't do certain things. A lot of these cults seem to have sick old pedophiles as their leaders. Go figure. No mainstream religious group would agree with these cults.

And I'm shutting up now regarding any type of debate, because, like Thelema mentioned, keep the thread on topic.

I mentioned it before, and I'll mention it again:: If reading the Bible helps you, then good for you. If it isn't your thing, fine. There's no need to get all on the offensive about it. No one's forcing you to read it. Just shrug it off and move along.

jameshable

I have not heard of this 'hell house,' but I have heard of many groups like it. I consider these groups to be cults, and there have been cases where worse has been done than just threatening little kids that they'll go to hell if they don't do certain things. A lot of these cults seem to have sick old pedophiles as their leaders. Go figure. No mainstream religious group would agree with these cults.

And I'm shutting up now regarding any type of debate, because, like Thelema mentioned, keep the thread on topic.

I mentioned it before, and I'll mention it again:: If reading the Bible helps you, then good for you. If it isn't your thing, fine. There's no need to get all on the offensive about it. No one's forcing you to read it. Just shrug it off and move along.

It's hard to shrug it off if you're an altruistic person. Anyway, you're right, sorry for taking the thread off topic.

jameshable

Blah.. I feel pretty bad for the thread maker. No hard feelings man. Please keep doing whatever works for you and don't listen to me or anyone else.

madmike

Good on you, the Bible has helped me on countless occasions! I usually just read a few passages and always find something i can relate to and gives me strength!

It's tried and tested, it works! Why do you think people have been seeking out religion for thousands of years!

jameshable

I don't really question the existance of God or wether or not Jesus was real! It's not relevant to me. What's important is picking up on the many lessons it tries to teach. Yeah of course... i use it as a self help book. But it's superior to most sef help books i've ever come across since it seems to have lessons and advice for everyone!

That's great.

LLLady

I wont even state my opinion about the Bible
But I think whatever helps get you through the day. is a good thing
:D

Spoil sports.
I'm glad the Bible helps you. You can talk to me about the Bible anytime. I've studied it a decent amount and I really like to talk about it.

Hey maybe we can become friends. I love to read the Bible and would not mind from time-to-time if we have a little discussion about it.

Later!

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
The Prayer To Immortality
"Lord Jesus, I believe you are the Son of God and that you died and rose again on the third day, and are now sitting at the right-hand of the Father. I ask you to forgive me and to wash me of all my sins. Thank you Lord. Amen"

Island_chic

The earthly world is a lot worse (greed, murder, hate, you name it and guess what "they don't have a need or want for religon either....God is pushed away by many go figure.

Island_chic

you are so right on because NOTHING makes me feel that deep joy and happiness in my heart like Jesus Christ. I no longer worry like I did because I know everything will work out best if I pray about it and leave it in God's hands.

Last edited: