The Arts: a common interest among SA'ers?

Xylia

Something I've noticed since I started posting here... A lot of you guys are into drawing, painting, photography, poems or just creative expression in general. Sometimes, I wonder if our limitless and vivid imaginations combined with our insecurities contribute to our anxiety... What do you guys think?

Phoenixx

I've never actually thought of there being a link, but that's really interesting. It makes alot of sense too. Thanks for sharing that book Klaus, it looks pretty good. I think I might have to go and buy that now ::p:

kuze

i love art, i watch alot of movies, im really into painting, drawing, illustration. i enjoy alot of music also. i never saw any connection to sa though, for me its totally an escape from reality.

forksandspoons

I really have no interest in the arts at all. I love movies and music, but who doesn't? There does seem to be a large interest in poetry, song writing, drawing, etc here though.

I still find myself to be more creative than most, I just apply it differently.

Last edited:

missjesss

Banned
funnily enough I was always creative and I did a course in graphic design after high school however I didnt graduate coz I hated going coz of my shyness :-(

I think because we mainly use the more creative sides of our brains and are slightly more introverted then most ppl at least we are very caring and have positive qualities about us

Liam17

Well as a musician i find it easier to express my thoughts and feelings through songwriting or music, rather than talking about it.

Minty

It's easier to express yourself through art than through words when you are anxious about talking. And everyone needs to express themselves somehow.

R3K

Well as a musician i find it easier to express my thoughts and feelings through songwriting or music, rather than talking about it.

good point. everytime i'm drawing something or tweaking a graphic on photoshop i feel like i'm putting my thoughts and feelings into every pen/brush stroke, and hoping that whoever looks at it will be able to unlock the encoded message and see what i'm too scared to say outright. having said that, i think i spend way too much time engorging myself in these little art/writing projects, trying to escape real life, repair myself from socially anxious encounters. for me it kind of does contribute to the SA cause it wastes time and energy that i should be using to combat the SA.

Xylia

I guess what I should have said was that I feel like there's a link between our imaginations and social anxiety... When we're in social situations, for example, we creatively come up with different ideas of what people are thinking of us, how we're acting, how we're looking only to end up confusing ourselves over what's true and what's not. We twist our realities...

And what are many people with strong imaginations attracted to... the arts, right? I'm sure there are some exceptions... such as some of the people in this thread who aren't into anything artistic. BUT... I've yet to meet anyone with SA who has a dull imagination.

Or maybe I'm just not making sense again... lol

I guess what I should have said was that I feel like there's a link between our imaginations and social anxiety... When we're in social situations, for example, we creatively come up with different ideas of what people are thinking of us, how we're acting, how we're looking only to end up confusing ourselves over what's true and what's not. We twist our realities...

And what are many people with strong imaginations attracted to... the arts, right? I'm sure there are some exceptions... such as some of the people in this thread who aren't into anything artistic. BUT... I've yet to meet anyone with SA who has a dull imagination.

Perfect sense. Do not worry.

There is dull imagination, based on individuals' taste.
There is unique imagination. Each individual is uniquely different. No matter how similar, different.
So it is with imagination.

haha, now, did that make sense?

R3K

(did you just change your profile pic from a nice looking young lady to uncle Fester? lol :confused:)

i've got a similar theory about this topic... when a social phobe is forced into a socially strenuous situation or is anticipating one, their brain goes into overdrive, devising any and all possible escape and avoidance methods. The result is a platter of very creative options that normal people probably wouldn't go to the lengths of devising for something as trivial (to them) as a party at Bob's house.

we gotta constantly be coming up with new excuses and avoidance techniques to keep people off-balance, to keep them from being led to believe we're @$$holes who don't like them, which would make our own anxiety worse. creative activity is just always on my mind and it's no problem for me to doodle on any surface for hours on end and create a little peice of art, however sucky... whereas normal people have to make a big mental shift from their daily grind of being normal and social that it's not worth the effort for them most of the time. maybe we social phobes aren't really better artists than normal people, we're just always in creative mode. or i am at least.

Dr. Doom

yeah, I love art. Though I don't think any of it's good I do dabble in poetry and abstract drawing/sketching. I'd like to get some paints and better sketching tools. I can't express myself talking to other people, so I just let it out in sketch and like I said a drop of poetry.

Social_Monstrosity

I personally am going into filmmaking, delusional career path i know, but i really cant see myself doing anything else.
I don't know if its a contributing factor to my social anxiety, but I do know that most creative expressionist do seek positive opinions from others. I mean, one of the main reasons, and one the things i concern the most about, are the reactions I'm going to get when i show people my work.

Going for filmmaking here too. :)

Remus

Staff member
I've always been arty since I was little, be it creating arts, crafts or music.

kc1980

Although I appreciate art a lot, I'm not really creative or talented in that area myself. Maybe partly because I used to be very self-conscious and critical about everything I did.
When we had to write a poem for school for example, I would completely block, couldn't even write two decent lines. In the end my teacher had some mercy on me, and I didn't have to bring my poem in front of the class. I also haven't written any fiction. I used to like drawing at school, but then I went to an art academy, where I was not talking to anyone else, and found that I was not so good at drawing as I had thought, so I quit after 4 months. I used to play a bit of violin, but there I just played some existing pieces, never made the effort to invent my 'own' music. But I'm happy to enjoy the talent of others.

People say I'm good at writing, but I'm my worst critic and I dislike everything I create, as Kennedy Toole used to do with himself. That's why I don't write anymore.