SocialPhobiaWorld Forum's Motto "You Are Not Alone" - Helpful or Harmful?

Anubis

(Please be aware that my intention is not to attack SocialPhobiaWorld with this post. I am simply using their motto as an attention grabber to discuss a bigger topic. I do not believe SPW is intentionally or even unintentionally harming it's members with something as trivial as a motto. I apologize for any misunderstanding.)

Anyway, as you all probably know, "You Are Not Alone" is the quintessential gut phrase that is IMMEDIATELY uttered when someone has a problem. And it is not limited to this forum. It is world-wide phenomenom. But I'm curious, does it ACTUALLY help you cope with your problem?

The reason I ask is because it's a very curious phrase. It it a phrase that seems to be telling people to stop worrying about their problems simply because other people are having problems. And somehow, by realizing the cosmic struggle of humanity, you are supposed to be comforted and continue living. Certainly, I don't doubt that it has very comforting qualities and that it's said with good-intentions.

But could their possibly by a "hidden" negative implication embedded in this seemingly innocent phrase? This negative implication being that BECAUSE everyone is going through essentially the "same" problem (the human struggle), you have no excuse for not overcoming your problems like you peers. After all, they went through the "same" struggle (with "just as many obstacles and tools"), and they overcame it. Why didn't you? IS it because you're severely lacking and therefore, worthless? (Of course not, lol). But as you can see, someone could logically conjure up these thoughts and be even more depressed.

I don't know, just a random thought. Feel free to respond, even if you disagree.

Last edited:

Anomaly

Re: SocialPhobiaWorld Forum's Motto "You Are Not Alone" - Helpful or Harmful?

Many people had no idea that there was such as thing as social phobia. Thus, the "motto" seems relevant to the website. I hardly payed any attention to it, much less gave it the amount of thought your analysis gave it.

Anubis

I am not blaming this forum for the phrase. I said it is a quintessential phrase in my first paragraph. SocialPhobiaWorld is far from the first to say it. In fact, it is universally uttered in almost any therapeutic exchange you experience nowadays. I, myself, have uttered the same phrase about a million times. lol

I am just, for the first time, actually questioning it's effectiveness.

Last edited:

lyricalliaisons

I think it's a very good motto for the site to have. A lot of people feel like they're the only ones going through these types of things until they find this forum & realize that they are not alone. I think the motto is very truthful.

Remus

Staff member

Once upon a time, a long long time ago, there was a man called webmaster, he started a competition for a slogan and eveyone voted on the best entry, hence "you are not alone" was born ;)

Kat

It’s strange I was actually thinking about that phrase today but for a different reason. I think it helps to know others have a similar problem to overcome, even though sp symptoms are similar we don’t all experience every attribute sp is made up of in the same way. It does help to know your not alone but it doesn’t make the problem your experiencing at the time magically go away.

If you hear or read someone go through a similar situation or same situation as you and they come through the other side that can give you a glimmer of hope to know someone has done it. It doesn’t mean your a failure because you can’t. Knowing that others are going through the same makes you feel less crazy and adds some rationality amongst your irrational thoughts.

When I am upset even though I know the logical reasoning to overcome my problem, I need to hear it from someone else there is something that is healing about that.

Even though sp people are not social creatures we still need to feel we are not alone but that does not mean we are sheep and experience everything the same.

Last edited:

All I get from it is that there are so many of you out there with SA experiencing the same fear and anxiety day by day that I do. That there are people out there who understand, because they've been through it. Is that not a comforting thought??

Last edited:

nopark

I think the motto is perfect. It doesn't conjure any negative connotations for me. It is comforting. When I first found this website, I was relieved to know I wasn't alone -- the motto harmonized that feeling.

While the phrase is uttered widely, I can only think of a few specific instances where it could take on a negative meaning as you describe. As widely as the adage is used, it is also widely understood to carry a positive meaning.

Lea

Banned

I don't know why I think of: "you can checkout any time you like, but you can never leave" when I see this motto. As if it was a bit malevolent of something :D. And you are not alone :cool:.

206Raider

I've never thought about it actually but it is comforting becuase before I found this site I didn't know anybody going through the same struggles as myself. Sometimes I think this site is a gift and a curse. It becomes another world in a way where you can come here and everybody relates but it's like since everybody is struggling and nobody is doing much you feel like "well nobody is doing anything either" so it makes you not feel as bad for not getting up and doing something with yourself.

Lonelykitsune

Misery loves company.And people,like me,may have no idea what social phobia is and think they are just a strange person for no reason until they read about others like them.

Im probably putting this weird cos i dont really know how to put it into words,ill probably think of something better later.

Silvox Black

I can understand that such thoughts are what would come to mind. However keep in mind that this is the phrase society chose to vainly attempt to comfort those like us. And as you know, society is woefully ignorant. This phrase can have those connotations yes, but the main root of its intentions is meant to say that you have those who will be able to understand your suffering and guide, support you through them. The phrase "You are not alone" is meant to give them the hope to bond with fellow sufferers and push through. Of course this is only my given opinion on the matter.

LOL. Yes, if it had a smiley face beside it, it would seem friendly. But it does not. It just has a mysterious-looking planet. A cold-looking planet............LOL.