So it's just ok to bump into people?

Livemylife

This is so bizarre to me because I'm supposed to be the socially inept one. But apparently, it is OK to bump into people or step on their feet and not say sorry. I once had a guy on the bus bump into me with his backpack, I pushed him forward, he turned around and stared me down like he wanted to box me. I honestly don't think I've ever bumped into someone and not say sorry. Argh people annoy me!

jaim38

It is good manners to apologize after bumping into someone. Anyone can be rude, including normal people who don't have SA.

bsammy

lots of rude people out there..im a pretty big guy but it doesnt stop people(mostly middle aged women?) from not even bothering to move out of the way when in a store..i have to almost throw myself into the food rack in order to not bump into them yet they act like i am not even there..

Livemylife

It is good manners to apologize after bumping into someone. Anyone can be rude, including normal people who don't have SA.
Well good manners must be uncommon. More people bump into and say nothing than apologize.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ithior

I say sorry and do some gesture since I usually speak pretty low in these situations.

Livemylife

This is possible, although backpacks are bulky, so extra care should be taken. Maybe it was an unfortunate collision.

If people bump into me, I usually get an apology. If I bump into someone I will always apologise. It's rarer to get someone who won't, but maybe I'm lucky...? :thinking:
Well I wear a backpack often. If someone nudges my backpack or vice versa, I can feel it, assuming it wasn't a light touch. I can also feel when I've bumped someone or stepped on their foot.

As for the other guy, I wish he'd stop posting in here. I refuse to interact with someone like that. If we can't express our thoughts on this forum, however "depressing" they may be, where can we? If posters are just going to make random, personal attacks whenever someone makes a post that makes them uncomfortable (this isn't the first time I've seen this on here; some other guy got told to see a professional or something when asked about settling for women), what is the point? I'm not even mad because the whole thing is ridiculous, but I guess he managed to make himself feel inferior and therefore his retaliation is I have a huge ego. Lol my niece could come up with a better psychoanalysis of me. You're on my ignore list pal and I'm patiently waiting for the mods to remove the aggressive post.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
As for the other guy, I wish he'd stop posting in here. I refuse to interact with someone like that. If we can't express our thoughts on this forum, however "depressing" they may be, where can we? If posters are just going to make random, personal attacks whenever someone makes a post that makes them uncomfortable (this isn't the first time I've seen this on here; some other guy got told to see a professional or something when asked about settling for women), what is the point? I'm not even mad because the whole thing is ridiculous, but I guess he managed to make himself feel inferior and therefore his retaliation is I have a huge ego. Lol my niece could come up with a better psychoanalysis of me. You're on my ignore list pal and I'm patiently waiting for the mods to remove the aggressive post.
o_O

hoddesdon

It is entirely possible--I'd even say probable--that he was quite unaware that he bumped into you at all. People don't have nerve endings in their backpacks. That would mean that from his perspective, some stranger just shoved him for no reason. Small wonder he gave you a look.

Likewise, it's entirely possible to step on someone's foot and not realize you've done so.

Yes, I thought the same. Sometimes you realize when something attached to you bumps someone, but not always. From his perspective, someone just shoved him for for no reason, so he showed restraint from the perspective of some people or from the perspective of wild animals. Without such restraint, or morality, civilisation would be impossible.

EvilFlyingCow

It's because you pushed him. If you don't want to be confrontational, just laugh while saying so something like, "whoa there, guy!"

Kiwong

I had some elevator rage today.

I tried to squeeze past this guy on the elevator. He still managed to put his shoulder into me.

I said "Sorry mate."

He mumbled. I'm not sorry." And gave me a dirty look.

Last edited:

Agent_Violet

People are so lacking in manners and general awareness that there ARE in fact other people on the planet aside from them. At least I find this to be true for most states in the US. I've traveled all over the country and there are rude ****s everywhere.
For most of them,I have to say it's not that they're intentionally rude.They're so darn oblivious of the world and people around them that they do rude things without even realizing it. They're so hyper-focused on their world and themselves they forget not to do things that agitate and inconvenience their fellow human beings. But when they realize it,they just don't care.

I do see people who go out of their way to be nice though.