Religion

Englishman

578_zps301a6e5b.jpg

How cruel of God to make you sweat.

Are you religious by any chance?

bluebells

I don't believe in God, so I don't think ''it'' (dunno if it's a he or she) has anything to do with all the suffering in this world.

sullyS25

Interesting to see everybody's viewpoints. However, I'm not convinced... I'm an athiest, not due to my HH, but I kind of think it has contributed. This world is too ****ed up to have any greater being IMO.

Maybe this world is an illusion, we are all at one with god and this world is just a nightmare.

sean_turner74

I'm religious, a Christian, and I suffer from HH (and social anxiety and depression). At times I've hated God for letting me get this affliction, and at other times I understand that everyone has some kind of burden in life, and it's up to you how much it affects you and bring you down. Some people are blind, deaf, missing a limb, epileptic, paralyzed etc... We all suffer in some way, even if we don't see the pain/problems another person has.

I hate HH with all my heart and at times I wanted to die, but I always tell myself things could be worse.

I believe that God lets us have these bad things happen to us to make us stronger. I mean, who is to say that God has to make life easier for you? What obligation does he have to answer every single one of our prayers and make life 100% perfect for us? I think he's there for us to lean on in bad times, and he will help us out, just not with everything we desire.

Also, I'm Christian, but I think there's some truth in all religions. I don't think Christianity is necessarily more right than Islam, Hinduism or animism etc...

We as humans don't know the truth or the entire story regarding our existence or the universe. I think it's only after death that we will maybe understand (or start to) why we had to suffer in life.

But as long as we live we have to find some way to deal with our problems. I don't blame God for letting me have HH (except on really bad days lol), but I always end up turning to him for help when I feel miserable. I make sure to recognize the positives in my life, and try not to let HH define who I am.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Yup, agreed with Sean too... I'm an atheist, but if you read the bible, it's quite clear that God's goal is not to make your life easy. You need to deserve your place in heaven. There is TONS of references on that matter. If your life is completely miserable and you still believe in God at the end of it, you're on the good path.

I would have made such a good christian :/

Englishman

Also, I don't believe that people who suffer in this life have done bad in previous lives... I don't personally believe in reincarnation, but why should some suffer over something they've had no controll over what they done in previous lives? Totally not fair. :)

rosewood

i am surprised you think so many people here believe in God, i thought we were in the minority in this forum. :)

to your question, i believe this world is nothing but suffering, and that we are not meant to suffer alone or in silence but to reach out to others (and if you so wish, God -as well) to transcend the suffering. how else would one develop compassion but through suffering? buddhists dont believe in God but they do believe this. aren't the words of consolation best when they come from someone who has effectively walked in your shoes so to speak? i dont wish suffering on anyone ever. i just am not sure how else one derives compassion without experience. compassion tends to lead to a general lovingkindness towards others, and dont we feel a certain sympathy for our fellow sufferers here in the SA forums?

suffering is bad, but it is not pointless. you have the unique position of being able to offer consolation to others. even by saying "what is the point' you are expressing a feeling that others share, and relieving their unhappiness in a way.

i say this with a tone of respect, no sarcasm.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
Also, I don't believe that people who suffer in this life have done bad in previous lives... I don't personally believe in reincarnation, but why should some suffer over something they've had no controll over what they done in previous lives? Totally not fair. :)

I believe that, after we die, we keep our memories and personality, but if we choose to take a new body, the brain is brand new, undeveloped, we have to learn everything again. It would be really difficult, if not impossible to access those memories.

I don't believe in punishment for a few reasons:

If we forget everything, what's the point in getting punishment in the first place? It would be the same as grounding a 17 year old over something they did when they were a baby.

Second, we aren't that important. There are loads and loads of many different creatures in the universe. Why would a deity bother to pick any of you in particular to apply a punishment?

Third, what would a punishment like that do? What possitive thing can you possibly get from it?
If you beat a kid up over something they did wrong, you're not helping them learn, you're causing them distress and fear. The kid might not repeat the mistake, not because what they did is wrong for X reason. It's to avoid getting hurt by their caretaker.
So if this deity gives you any physical and/or mental condition as a punishment for anything you might have done, what can you possibly learn? That you hve to behave well in this life to avoid another (maybe more severe) problem in the next life? How can the soul mature this way? It makes no sense.

This is merely a set of strange beliefs of mine. You don't have to agree.

Flanscho

I believe that, after we die, we keep our memories and personality, but if we choose to take a new body, the brain is brand new, undeveloped, we have to learn everything again. It would be really difficult, if not impossible to access those memories.

I don't know. I mean, scientists have proven that memories are physically stored in our brain. When we die, so does our brain. It decomposes, and with it our memories. It makes no sense to me to suppose that our memories are then still around somehow.

Sprawling

I think we are all going a little bit off topic here. Whether one is religious or not is irrelevant.

The thing is that we all have HH and need to find our individual ways on how to deal with it. It's just like any other physical ailment, condition and so forth. HH is not going to magically disappear no matter how much one prays, but we do have a fair shot at getting it under control.

"In a day when you don't come accross any problems - you can be sure you are travelling in the wrong path". Another words, suffering is good!!! :thumbup:

Also, I don't believe that people who suffer in this life have done bad in previous lives... I don't personally believe in reincarnation, but why should some suffer over something they've had no controll over what they done in previous lives? Totally not fair
I think that actually you are those previous people .. which means in essence you have caused all this misery for yourself :thinking:

montejocarlo

The thing is, even those people who don't seem to suffer suffer. You just don't know it cause they're either good actors or you don't know them well enough.

this is so true. just because our lives suck doesn't mean everybody else is better off. most people are very good at covering their pain. some can even hide it in laughter or aggressiveness. one's life is always nicer from another person's point of view. there are probably people right now thinking that i'm luckier than them. if only they knew.

If God granted us all we wanted, life would have no sense anymore.

yes, and very boring as well. i can only imagine. a life with nothing to strive for, no challenge whatsoever... it's going to drive me insane a lot faster than SA & depression would.

mikebird

Banned
Everything you write here and otherwise, such as Facebook, etc... photos you've taken... your thoughts.. will always remain in your log, after the brain is dead

hydroman123

Totally agree with what you said. I wanted to say something similar and saw my thoughts mirrored in your post.

hydroman123

[quote

If those explanations don't satisfy, there's always belief systems involving reincarnation. The idea there is basically that ultimately life is totally fair, and everyone's difficulties are equal--if you take into account previous and future lives all added together. You even deserve the crap you endure in this life because you earned it in the past one, and depend on an easier life next time if you deal with your crap well enough in this one.

Really there are all sorts of choices, with or without religion being involved. :)![/quote]

Totally agree with what you say. I wanted to type something similar and saw my thoughts mirrored in your post.:thumbup: