Religion

Sprawling

How have I deserved this when I have no control over what I done in my previous life?

You have deserved this only because you believe you have. Best to blame your HH on your parents. They created you, passed on those miserable HH genes. If you decide to procreate, then you shall also carry the burden of quilt of passing it along to your offspring.

In the mean time, blame your family and grandparents and so forth. Then, schedule a vasectomy so they'll be no chance of inflicting HH upon another.:)

How have I deserved this when I have no control over what I done in my previous life?
Think of it like this: Imagine you are a criminal about to be sentenced for a crime you did 40 years ago as a teen, but you somehow had blocked it from your memory. You say to the judge, 'But that wasn't me, as i can't remember it, and even if i did do it, that's not me anymore!!!'. That's how i think it is with past lives. We have no conscious memories of living those past lives, doing those past deeds, good and bad. And if hundreds of years have past, then thinking that how is it possible to still be "that same person".

Another possibility is if punishment (or being "cursed") is not the reason for suffering in this current life. But instead it is simply about the soul needing to learn a number of "life lessons" within each reincarnation. This brings the concept of "karma" into play. If you actually go backwards with one "lesson" or trait, then perhaps in one of the next lifetimes, when you need to again learn that lesson, it will now be, say twice as hard to learn, as you have to "undo" some learning first. That is basically what "karma" is, by my understanding.

Flanscho

Think of it like this: Imagine you are a criminal about to be sentenced for a crime you did 40 years ago as a teen, but you somehow had blocked it from your memory. You say to the judge, 'But that wasn't me, as i can't remember it, and even if i did do it, that's not me anymore!!!'. That's how i think it is with past lives. We have no conscious memories of living those past lives, doing those past deeds, good and bad. And if hundreds of years have past, then thinking that how is it possible to still be "that same person".

I don't know... Prison sentences exist for two reasons:
a) punishment, to make the perso realize what he/she did wrong and not do that again in future
b) keeping a dangerous person away from society

The a) one makes no sense, if you lost your memory, since you can't realize what you did wrong if you can't remember it. So the punishment just for that would be useless. And b) only makes sense if you'd be an actual threat. If you just stole something, that wouldn't be the case.

I also think that we are nothing but the memories we have, the new experiences we make, and how our brain processes all that. Which means that without our memories, we don't exist as a conscious being. Losing all my memory is the same as death to me. I'd be gone.

That's also why I don't get the concept of any sort of an afterlife. Since memories are physically stored in the brain tissue, and the brain decomposes after you die, you decompose too. Without our memories, we are nothing. As such, even if any form of afterlife would exist, it would be irrelevant, since the person experiencing that wouldn't have my memories, and thus not be me.

Englishman

You have deserved this only because you believe you have. Best to blame your HH on your parents. They created you, passed on those miserable HH genes. If you decide to procreate, then you shall also carry the burden of quilt of passing it along to your offspring.

In the mean time, blame your family and grandparents and so forth. Then, schedule a vasectomy so they'll be no chance of inflicting HH upon another.:)

I don't think could ever have a child knowing there would be a chance I could pass on this condition. Knowing the misery and suffering it has caused myself. However, I'm sure it's a 50 50 chance of it being inherited.

sean_turner74

Yup, agreed with Sean too... I'm an atheist, but if you read the bible, it's quite clear that God's goal is not to make your life easy. You need to deserve your place in heaven. There is TONS of references on that matter. If your life is completely miserable and you still believe in God at the end of it, you're on the good path.

I would have made such a good christian :/
I think that's true. We're going to face tests in life, and nothing here is meant to be easy. By overcoming challenges we grow stronger, and I think that's important for what happens in this life, as well as whatever happens in the next step.

I'm Christian, but I think as a long as a person stays faithful in whatever religion, spirituality or any kind of moral belief he/she chooses, despite life's problems, that's what matters in the end.

You're right, Pacific_Loner, you got what it takes if you wanted to be a Christian lol. :giggle:

Sprawling

I did take the gamble and had a child. She had the opposite reaction to HH on her hands. Since a baby she had bright red hands that would hurt, but not sweat. Later on around 19, now she's 23, developed HH on all parts of her body, except her hands and feet. It's possibly this was do to to having scoliosis surgery at age 12 and being in severe chronic pain since. Throw in Fibromyalgia to the mixture and she's a living mess.

destructoroflife

I don't think could ever have a child knowing there would be a chance I could pass on this condition. Knowing the misery and suffering it has caused myself. However, I'm sure it's a 50 50 chance of it being inherited.

This is one of the reasons I would never have kids.

Even if my kid was 100% normal in a genetic sense. I'm bringing a person into existence without letting him/her know.

I'm impossing life on that person. And even if born healthy, nothing gives me the assurance that he/she would be happy with this life.

I wish I was never been born. Just hypothetically, if I did have a child I would fulfill his life the way he wants. Letting him stay in the house and never work, buying him videogames, food. Paying for an expensive university/education, etc. All he wants, because I could never forget that he's in this pos world because of my will.

Now, on topic, the choice of being an atheist is one of the best I've made.

I feel truly free now from a lot of crap that was imposed to me as a child.

TL-DR: Don't ever have kids. Being an atheist = cool ****.

with God, there is nothing to earn. While I was His enemy, He died for me..
you cannot earn God's love, or lose it..
He knew when He made you, who you would be and He from His imagination formed you and brought you into being.. that is love, it echos through our lives still, with children and in daily lives..

life is broken, bent - by humans hands but it is temprary. That is not to say we live for tomorrow, we find the joy for now - here all in Jesus, God clothing himself in the flesh that he designed. then, we hear that he is making it right, and that we are and have always been - His..

there is no room for judgment on others in the bible, we are all broken.. some hide behind it, afraid of who God is..

He is the perfect father, so yeah... :)

Section_31

Did anyone here ever think that religion is different from spirituality?

This has been my personal belief forever. I want nothing to do with organized religion, but that doesnt mean im hostile to it either exactly. Just not for me.

I have nothing against spirituality. Im a spiritual person. I have my own beliefs. However i dont discuss them with others, to me its a very private and personal thing. To me, discussing it would be the equivalent of swapping sexual details about your other with someone else. Some things are private and you just dont do.

That and i also respect others. As long as they dont shove it down my throat i have no problem with them. At the end of it were all finite beings on a ball of rock in an abyss with a limited existence. People need to find comfort in whatever they believe. No reason to fight over it. Ive got better things to do.

gazelle

^ Agreed. Discussing your personal beliefs with others is just futile. In the end the only thing that comes out of it in most cases is hostility and discord , and maybe some poeple making fun of you (if they're less civilized)... Unless it's a situation that you might be trying to practice assertiveness, that is if you want to show poeple that you aren't afraid of being your true self in front of them, it's totally unnecessary.

Solo Dolo

the idea of god is a joke. it makes me even more depressed that I live in a world where insanity is broadly accepted.

Solo Dolo

spirituality is merely a reflection of humans' illogically rationalized childish and primitive superstitions