Quick rant

JohnnAY

UGH, this is getting REEAL old. Why can't I just go about my day like a normal functioning adult! I just want to do normal things like go to the library and study without turning into goddamn garden sprinkler!

Today there was a really attractive girl behind the counter at Subway. I was rehearsing in my head while I waited in line: "6 inch turkey on wheat , 6 inch turkey on wheat, 6 inch turkey on wheat". Then, when it finally comes time for me to order..... "CAN I GET A 6 INCH FOOT-LONG."

The whole time I was there I appeared fidgety, sweaty, I stuttered my words, and I could tell she was giving me weird glances. Lastly, as I'm reaching over to take the receipt out of her hand, I drop my caseless phone on the ground. This triggers the attention of everyone else in the restaurant. As I bend down to pick up my phone, I drop my sandwich all over the floor. At that point I was screaming at myself: "CHRIST, CAN YOU KEEP IT TOGETHER?" I'm never showing my face there again.

Thanks for reading. Yea, I know there are starving children in Africa.

MikeyC

You built up the moment too much and then psyched yourself out. Just relax a little more and you'll be okay.

vanillabear

That sucks.. and I totally know how you feel. I take all kinds of long-cuts and walk only during certain times just to avoid large crowds of people. Once I was ordering some take out and mumbled something that I guess they didn't catch so the cashier asked me to repeat it and I said yes.. and then, confused, she asked me to repeat what I said before and I said yes again.. lol -facepalm-.. I do this on a daily basis..hope that maybe comforts you?

JohnnAY

Lol! Yea, I usually just laugh at myself afterwards. Just it happens so often now that it's hard to find humor in it anymore; and just the constant sweating, ughhh. Thanks for the replies.

ImNotMyIllness

That really sucks! But, it happens. I don't think anyone there gave it a second thought. They're busy worrying about their job and thinking about getting off work.
The customers that they remember are the ones that are very mean to them. You're fine!

jaim38

I can relate. There were many times when I said the wrong things or did something embarassing in public. Being around people makes me act stupid. When I'm truly alone I feel smarter and more alert.

hoddesdon

^ I was in a bistro once, and, when something needed to be cooked first, someone asked how long it would be. The person behind the counter replied: "About six inches".

paperie

Don't worry too much about it. Maybe I'm alone on this, but if I witness someone have an embarrassing moment...I think it's more cute than anything, in an endearing way.

Ashiene

Many years ago, I finally took the courage to go out after being homebound for months. I wanted to test my anxiety. So I went to take the train for an hour-long ride. And got scolded very loudly for 5 minutes by a middle-aged man (who accused me of kicking his foot) in the very crowded public train. That was my reward for being courageous and facing my anxiety- to be humiliated and shamed.

Why do I put myself through such horror? After that incident, my anxiety skyrocketed and I became homebound again for a longer time.