Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Phoenixx

Well today has been interesting thus far. Went into work today thinking I was going to work a half day since I have an appointment this afternoon and had requested to leave early on this day 3 weeks ago. But because I had so many hours put in this week, I was only allowed to work ~2 hours because otherwise I was going into overtime and the company either a) doesn't like to pay for overtime and/or b) can't afford to pay the overtime. So I got sent home early. If I knew that I would've requested to not even bother to come in. :rolleyes: Meh, whatever. I'm not totally complaining. Just kinda sucks that what I just made in those 2ish hours doesn't really make up for my commute. (which is 40 mins one way)

In other news, I got a voicemail for an interview for the job I applied to a week and a half ago. Called back and wound up in an on-the-spot phone interview since the person I had to speak to was going to be out the rest of the day. 😳 It went well, and she apologized for catching me off guard. Now they want me to come in for a second in-person interview next week, but need to call me back to schedule since I'll be interviewed by someone else. Man, I hope it goes just as well and I'm prepared. 😬

Phoenixx

My pupper had her first behavior class yesterday. I started enrolling her since her anxiety has been pretty bad since last fall and has only escalated since her attack in the fall. She even hates getting her nails trimmed now too, which I never had an issue with before. Sadly she's basically one big bundle of anxiety and reactivity now with "new" situations -- aka new situations and older situations which is being perceived as "new" I think because it hasn't been regular thanks to covid restrictions (like seeing people she's met once or twice before and now barks at or going to places she's been before but hasn't visited in a while so it's all "new"). Anywho, the guy I met with yesterday was so awesome and kind, I was so worried she was going to be trouble with him since she is cautious around certain men and it's really unpredictable, but she wound up really enjoying the private lesson and made best friends with him since he gave her all kinds of yummy snacks. :LOL: I also learned a lot of new things and have homework to do with her that I'm excited to take on.

planemo

My pupper had her first behavior class yesterday. I started enrolling her since her anxiety has been pretty bad since last fall and has only escalated since her attack in the fall. She even hates getting her nails trimmed now too, which I never had an issue with before. Sadly she's basically one big bundle of anxiety and reactivity now with "new" situations -- aka new situations and older situations which is being perceived as "new" I think because it hasn't been regular thanks to covid restrictions (like seeing people she's met once or twice before and now barks at or going to places she's been before but hasn't visited in a while so it's all "new"). Anywho, the guy I met with yesterday was so awesome and kind, I was so worried she was going to be trouble with him since she is cautious around certain men and it's really unpredictable, but she wound up really enjoying the private lesson and made best friends with him since he gave her all kinds of yummy snacks. :LOL: I also learned a lot of new things and have homework to do with her that I'm excited to take on.

I would get a puppy tomorrow if I knew for certain I could train it well. What breed do you have?

What if the worst part about being alone is that you can't blame other people when you screw up?
Conversely, the best part is that no one can blame you when they screw up.:p

Phoenixx

I would get a puppy tomorrow if I knew for certain I could train it well. What breed do you have?
I have a German Shepherd. They're a new breed for me (I grew up with border collies and a beagle mix) and honestly, despite all the research I did prior, I still wasn't prepared for the nature of a shepherd. They're great dogs, extremely smart, alert, and loyal -- main qualities of those in the working group of dogs which i love. From my experience though I find shepherds are much more apt to make decisions themselves and take the lead vs other working group dogs -- like cattle dogs, border collies, etc. When growing up with border collies, while they're obviously very active, they're also very obedient to wait for your command. My shepherd is not. Her obedience sometimes tends to be her decision, and that's what I'm also still working on with her. I feel it takes a person with a very dominant personality to fully connect with a shepherd. I don't feel I have that with her, but again I'm still working on it. Not to say she's a bad dog at all, she's wonderful and I love her bunches. ❤ We both just have to work together a little harder to communicate better in certain situations.

But no matter what kind of dog you get, I cannot emphasize enough to spend the money and go to classes and possibly drop off to a doggy daycare every so often. I wish I did with her instead of training her at home. It's not bad to train at home, but there's so many missing pieces by not going to classes. Going to classes gives your pup so many more experiences with people, new environments, and other dogs to really learn to be friendly and open minded and also learn bite inhibition when playing.. This is even more important when you have a more nervous or anxious pup too. Last year I was dropping her off a few times a week to daycare and a sitter with small kids before the pandemic hit. It helped A LOT with socialization and playtime. It's just unfortunate now she's become anxious of everything due to a combination of no more continuous visits anywhere because of the pandemic, me being home for over half the year last year and now she has to adjust to life with us gone at work again, and she had a freak situation happen last year where our senior dog attacked her out of the blue. (Senior dog lives with in-laws now because of her cognitive dysfunction -- we now call it her old folks home and she's retired from typical family life and other animals) Hence why we're going to behavioral classes to address her issues.

Attachments

• 20210307_122516_copy_542x944.jpg
    20210307_122516_copy_542x944.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

SilentAndShy

I'm not sure if anyone has children but do kids from the age of 2 start to go to their Mum for comfort?

My kids seem to reject me (which is nothing new for me as I recollect that happening throughout my life) in favour of their mum and it hurts and I get frustrated to the point I leave them for their Mum to sort. Not a good father I know but I just don't know how or what I can do.

I don't know if it's a natural thing or whether my anxiety and mental health mind is giving off those vibes.

planemo

I have a German Shepherd. They're a new breed for me (I grew up with border collies and a beagle mix) and honestly, despite all the research I did prior, I still wasn't prepared for the nature of a shepherd. They're great dogs, extremely smart, alert, and loyal -- main qualities of those in the working group of dogs which i love. From my experience though I find shepherds are much more apt to make decisions themselves and take the lead vs other working group dogs -- like cattle dogs, border collies, etc. When growing up with border collies, while they're obviously very active, they're also very obedient to wait for your command. My shepherd is not. Her obedience sometimes tends to be her decision, and that's what I'm also still working on with her. I feel it takes a person with a very dominant personality to fully connect with a shepherd. I don't feel I have that with her, but again I'm still working on it. Not to say she's a bad dog at all, she's wonderful and I love her bunches. ❤ We both just have to work together a little harder to communicate better in certain situations.

But no matter what kind of dog you get, I cannot emphasize enough to spend the money and go to classes and possibly drop off to a doggy daycare every so often. I wish I did with her instead of training her at home. It's not bad to train at home, but there's so many missing pieces by not going to classes. Going to classes gives your pup so many more experiences with people, new environments, and other dogs to really learn to be friendly and open minded and also learn bite inhibition when playing.. This is even more important when you have a more nervous or anxious pup too. Last year I was dropping her off a few times a week to daycare and a sitter with small kids before the pandemic hit. It helped A LOT with socialization and playtime. It's just unfortunate now she's become anxious of everything due to a combination of no more continuous visits anywhere because of the pandemic, me being home for over half the year last year and now she has to adjust to life with us gone at work again, and she had a freak situation happen last year where our senior dog attacked her out of the blue. (Senior dog lives with in-laws now because of her cognitive dysfunction -- we now call it her old folks home and she's retired from typical family life and other animals) Hence why we're going to behavioral classes to address her issues.
I suppose at the root of my inhibition is the fact that I know I'm not a dominant personality. How this will affect any type of dog I get, is probably my biggest fear. I was thinking of maybe getting a greyhound, since they're known to be on the more sensitive, subdued side, but it seems like outside help is probably a necessity anyway. Thanks for the tip. Your dog sounds like a lovely companion, and adorable looking too.

planemo

I'm not sure if anyone has children but do kids from the age of 2 start to go to their Mum for comfort?

My kids seem to reject me (which is nothing new for me as I recollect that happening throughout my life) in favour of their mum and it hurts and I get frustrated to the point I leave them for their Mum to sort. Not a good father I know but I just don't know how or what I can do.

I don't know if it's a natural thing or whether my anxiety and mental health mind is giving off those vibes.

I don't have any kids, but I assume that's normal. I always turned to my mum for comfort and not my dad when I was a child. I can understand why it would frustrate you. You're not a bad dad, for feeling rejected, but I think your kid(s) are showing preference instead of rejection.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Look at how cool Tibetan lettering is.

Tibetan+Calligraphy+3.gif

It looks like something out of Star Trek.