Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

PugofCrydee

You want to know how I got these scars?
But, is that still true if it's not one's own selective process that's the issue? I'd probably be friends with anyone who was nice and willing to stick around. And I'm not exceedingly smart either.

Itelligent people tend to underestimate how intelligent they are.. :bigsmile:

..........And I'm not exceedingly smart either.
Ah, I beg to differ with that!
After reading your posts over the years, Puma, I believe you ARE an exceedingly smart person. Just sayin' :)

Which could be used as a perfect case in point, for Pug's post :D .........
Itelligent people tend to underestimate how intelligent they are.. :bigsmile:

From my experience, it is the people who boast about and show off about how really smart they are (in a serious manner, not just joking around), that often tend to be the NOT so smart ones. :eek:h:

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
F*cked up yet again... Maybe now my family will start to realise when I say I'm not that smart.

Every time I'm asked to do something I make an arse of it.

My deepest sympathies, Pyrophosphate. :sad:
Horrifically, that kind of situation is becoming more and more common.

Have you tried being a freelance website designer etc? Although, I suppose there are millions of freelancers out there, in the same situation as you are though. :thinking:
The frustration must be driving you mad!?

(on a side note - good to see you back in here, Pyrophosphate :greeting:)

I have not tried that. I feel like I'd have the same problem selling myself as a freelancer as I do selling myself as a job candidate, though.

And yes, it's nice to see all the familiar faces haven't left while I was away.

I was going to suggest something similar Pyro. I have been working from home since April, and I am managing to make ends meet without any advanced computer know-how. But from what I have read from work forums I follow and a few work blogs, having that know-how opens a lot of doors and can make the process a lot easier.

You may not have the job or income you want, but I imagine working to a point where you making at least as much as you do at McDonald's should be very attainable. Just something I would consider looking into if I were you. The option has been a life saver for me. :thumbup:

That's interesting. How did you get into that, and what do you actually do?

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple

I'd be interested to know how many of those on anti-depressants who killed themselves were just on the meds, and how many were also going to therapy. My understanding of anti-depressants were that they helped to get a person out of that hole that depression can put them in, and then correcting their thinking helps them stay out of it. A person with suicide in the back of their mind who starts taking anti-depressants with no plan to monitor their thinking I would assume to be more likely to kill themselves. It reminds me of bi-polar (which has a fairly high suicide rate as well) where people don't kill themselves at their lowest lows (the hole) but rather as they begin to get out of it and have the energy, or when they start to decline their mania and see the hole in the horizon.

I just have a pet peeve with the whole suicide=depression=suicide line of thinking. They are related, but not the same thing, and one isn't required for the other - or at least that is how I see it. I think something correlated with increased suicide rates is a poor argument for it's ineffectiveness in improving depression. If something increases suicide rates there is problem, I certainly see that, but extending that argument to it's impact on depression doesn't appear sound to me.

Anti-depressants could be ineffective, as the article mentions there is no proof that they work. It just drives me crazy the author is using suicide rates as an argument against their effectiveness in combating depression. I'm not really trying to make a statement on anti-depressants at all. It's just that line of thinking used is a massive pet peeve of mine.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
That's interesting. How did you get into that, and what do you actually do?

I do a mishmash of a lot of different things. I started through mechanical turk, which is a lot of different micro-tasks that vary from college studies to transcription to evaluative type tasks. You have to work up to a decent pay, but it's impossible without using scripts and extensions and things like that. I use public ones that other people have made, but being able to make your own and having a better understanding of how they exactly work is a great advantage. Some people make upward of $1000 a week, but more realistically $200-$500 is where a lot of people lie.

I also have quite a bit of luck with user tests, which is testing out different websites or apps. Most pay $10 a test and take 20 minutes (they do require talking though). I get disqualified from quite a few when they ask about my computer experience and I admit I'm above average at best. The problem with these is that there are not always a ton available. If I could do 20 a day, I would. But like I said, having computer know-how would increase those numbers. (I have also come across some that require taking debugging notes and things like that I was clueless on that may be more feasible for someone more knowledgeable.

I recently started doing ad evaluations, which is a more formal employment also from home. I don't think I am supposed to go into detail about it online, but I'd google it. They're hiring, and after the hiring process it isn't so bad.

I also don't know if you live near any thrift stores, but selling textbooks on amazon can be a nice little income booster as well. It's one of those things that doesn't require a very specific skill set (although I would definitely do some research before looking into it ) but being able to build programs would help a ton.

Those are just the things I do, I would definitely dive in and start looking around though, there is a lot out there. I would be cautious with most blogs, as they are usually getting paid to tell you to sign up for a certain product. ("Try swagbucks - You can make $100000000 a year!" No you can't).

This is a blog I liked that gave me some helpful info, and also a mechanical turk forum that might give you an idea of what working online is like for some people.

https://theworkathomewife.com/
https://www.mturkcrowd.com/

Last edited:

hoddesdon

It is not easy walking around upside-down, given that Australia is below the Equator. If you look at a globe you can see what I mean.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I'd be interested to know how many of those on anti-depressants who killed themselves were just on the meds, and how many were also going to therapy. My understanding of anti-depressants were that they helped to get a person out of that hole that depression can put them in, and then correcting their thinking helps them stay out of it. A person with suicide in the back of their mind who starts taking anti-depressants with no plan to monitor their thinking I would assume to be more likely to kill themselves. It reminds me of bi-polar (which has a fairly high suicide rate as well) where people don't kill themselves at their lowest lows (the hole) but rather as they begin to get out of it and have the energy, or when they start to decline their mania and see the hole in the horizon.

I just have a pet peeve with the whole suicide=depression=suicide line of thinking. They are related, but not the same thing, and one isn't required for the other - or at least that is how I see it. I think something correlated with increased suicide rates is a poor argument for it's ineffectiveness in improving depression. If something increases suicide rates there is problem, I certainly see that, but extending that argument to it's impact on depression doesn't appear sound to me.

Anti-depressants could be ineffective, as the article mentions there is no proof that they work. It just drives me crazy the author is using suicide rates as an argument against their effectiveness in combating depression. I'm not really trying to make a statement on anti-depressants at all. It's just that line of thinking used is a massive pet peeve of mine.

Yeah I see what you mean, it wasn't the best article but I had no time to find a better one at the moment (and now I'm onto something else). However I think we should pay attention. As you say yourself, antidepressant should be a temporary measure, an emergency buoy, to help you swim back to shore. But you have to SWIM back to shore, there is no point in standing there, clinging to your buoy.

Since the pharmaceutic industry has used suicide rate among depressed people as an argument to sell their products for years, I've been wondering since a very long time how they came to this conclusion (that more than 80% of people commiting suicide suffers from depression), because the only way these stats could be real is if they actually mean that 80% of those people were diagnosed with depression, and therefor, very probably were on meds or had been on meds.

I probably sound like a paranoid conspirationist, and I do have a controversial opinion about how to treat depression, but what I mean is, someone who is trying to sell you something is not looking for your well being, but for your money.So we should be careful with the information that is given to us (and yeah, in that sense, that article is not to be taken for fact either).

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Yeah I see what you mean, it wasn't the best article but I had no time to find a better one at the moment (and now I'm onto something else). However I think we should pay attention. As you say yourself, antidepressant should be a temporary measure, an emergency buoy, to help you swim back to shore. But you have to SWIM back to shore, there is no point in standing there, clinging to your buoy.

Since the pharmaceutic industry has used suicide rate among depressed people as an argument to sell their products for years, I've been wondering since a very long time how they came to this conclusion (that more than 80% of people committing suicide suffers from depression), because the only way these stats could be real is if they actually mean that 80% of those people were diagnosed with depression, and therefor, very probably were on meds or had been on meds.

I probably sound like a paranoid conspirationist, and I do have a controversial opinion about how to treat depression, but what I mean is, someone who is trying to sell you something is not looking for your well being, but for your money.So we should be careful with the information that is given to us (and yeah, in that sense, that article is not to be taken for fact either).

I agree. I've been on meds, I've been off meds, and I personally prefer the latter. When it comes to psych meds as a whole, I actually don't hold too strong of an opinion either way. I don't think it sounds unreasonable to take into consideration the fact that the medical field as a whole is a business though, as unfortunate as that is.

I hope it didn't sound like I was attacking you, and if I did I apologize, I can sometimes come on strong. I just see suicide as one of those topics that has a huge stigma attached to it and no one really understands but everyone seems to think they do. I thought the info in the article was interesting actually, but the conclusions she drew based off it were poor (based purely on the info she provided) and perpetuated those stigmas. Failing to mention any info about how many of those who killed themselves (and those who didn't) went to therapy at the same time just made me want to scream "CORRELATION DOES NOT MEAN CAUSATION" as there was a clear other possible reason for the results coming up as they did. So it was nothing directed at you, I was just frustrated at how the article was written.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

I agree. I've been on meds, I've been off meds, and I personally prefer the latter. When it comes to psych meds as a whole, I actually don't hold too strong of an opinion either way. I don't think it sounds unreasonable to take into consideration the fact that the medical field as a whole is a business though, as unfortunate as that is.

I hope it didn't sound like I was attacking you, and if I did I apologize, I can sometimes come on strong. I just see suicide as one of those topics that has a huge stigma attached to it and no one really understands but everyone seems to think they do. I thought the info in the article was interesting actually, but the conclusions she drew based off it were poor (based purely on the info she provided) and perpetuated those stigmas. Failing to mention any info about how many of those who killed themselves (and those who didn't) went to therapy at the same time just made me want to scream "CORRELATION DOES NOT MEAN CAUSATION" as there was a clear other possible reason for the results coming up as they did. So it was nothing directed at you, I was just frustrated at how the article was written.

Yes I agree that there is A LOT of correlations done in scientific papers that are extremely suspicious. Everyone is trying to prove their own point or the point of those funding the research. That's why I'll keep an eye open for better data.

(By the way I did not feel attacked. I'm used to discuss with people who argue with a lot of passion - that's just the way people argue where I live. As a matter of fact, I find discussions more interesting when everyone has a different point of view.)

Kiwong

I started taking medication a year ago, I put it off for 18 years. Medication has helped me make exposure therapy more effective. I know I am an experiment of one but they have helped me.

Pacific_Loner

I started taking medication a year ago, I put it off for 18 years. Medication has helped me make exposure therapy more effective. I know I am an experiment of one but they have helped me.

In my mind, having to take pills to comply to your therapy makes as much sense as taking cocaine to be able to do your job or taking alcohol to be able to go out, but it's just me o_O

Kiwong

In my mind, having to take pills to comply to your therapy makes as much sense as taking cocaine to be able to do your job or taking alcohol to be able to go out, but it's just me o_O

The pills have helped make exposure therapy easier, I am not complying with anything. They ease the crippling anxiety to something moderate so I can rebuild my ability to function around people, which I had lost due to years of social isolation.

I can hold conversations with other people, play guitar in front of them, go to parties, farewells, mornings teas, give presentations all things I couldn't do last year. What I have achieved with medication and exposure therapy makes perfect sense.

I held a similar opinion to you about pills this time last year, but my life was abject misery, had been for years and was getting worse, and something had to change.

It has turned around much for the better. I am actually happier, doing things I believed weren't possible. My mind is building new pathways and chemicals that help me function in social situations.

I can't agree with your analogy between alcohol and cocaine, I think it is nonsense. There's a strong opinion, you say you like them. I was self medicating on alcohol this time last year, and it was no help, just numbing.

My analogy is different. A few years back I had severe knee pain. I saw a physio who showed me knee taping. It took the pain out of my knee, so I could rebuild my leg muscles, and run again. The medication helps eases the pain in my brain, so I can rebuild neural pathways, an lost social skills and it is working.

I have to take anti cholesterol, blood pressure, aspirin, for other reasons. There are no side effects to any of the drugs. I am certainly not even depressed, let alone suicidal.

I have had long discussions with counsellors about taking pills. One said, you could suck it and see. I have, I only wished I had done it years ago, it would have saved years of fear and pain.

Last edited:
It has turned around much for the better. I am actually happier, doing things I believed weren't possible. My mind is building new pathways and chemicals that help me function in social situations.
Everyone's way of finding the key that unlocks their locked door, is different.
It is so good to read how you have found your key, Kiwong. :)

Kiwong

Cheers Pug and Blue Days. I was so worried about the side effects of pills, but I haven't had any, only benefits

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I desperately need a holiday, or to start a new life somewhere else.

Also, I’m still f*ckin’ raging mad about something that happened on Friday, that I got blamed for but wasn’t entirely my fault. :thumbdown:
Is that normal? :question: