Post your picture thread - the debate

Are you for or against having a "Post your picture thread" or similar thread?

• For/Support

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Unsure/Undecided/Neutral/Both/Neither

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Against/Reject

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Look everyone really cute things

Awwwwww <3

kitten_and_chick.jpeg

cute-puppy-l1.jpg

WishingICould

I never said it did. Quite often realization motivates action.

I get it fine. You seem to be offended that I have pointed out a natural tendency that good looking people get attention and others get ignored because it's cruel to do so and makes those who are less noticed feel bad about themselves - I think it's more cruel to ignore the natural inequities and obvious favoritism to only some people and not others... you see this everywhere - beauty is institutionalized and is important, it's more important than I think people want to admit to. Do people wish to ignore the fact that looks matter because it makes us appear superficial and biased? Or is it because it makes us feel obliged to treat some people different depending on their personal merits and natural strengths (or rather lack of them)?

I'm not offended. I just don't see want you would gain from pointing out the obvious: attractive people get attention. Everyone knows that but I have no idea why you felt the need to post it on that thread. I don't see how pointing that out would make the people who posted feel good about themselves.

PGT

Some people are very conscious of the way they look and I takes a lot of courage on there part to post a picture of themselves and they get my respect for doing so.
I don't understand why people have a problem with this. If you don't like people posting pictures of themselves stop looking at a pictures thread. Simples.

KiaKaha

Banned
I'm not offended. I just don't see want you would gain from pointing out the obvious: attractive people get attention. Everyone knows that but I have no idea why you felt the need to post it on that thread. I don't see how pointing that out would make the people who posted feel good about themselves.

Well it seems the premise of the debate has changed. I don't think the 'post your picture thread' is nothing but an indication of shallowness and gauging the level of ones physical attractiveness - satiation of curiosity prompts a response also. But I do think that there is some degree of truth that the level of comments and replies, as well as the actual replies themselves indicate to the posters and others at how physically beautiful one happens to be - or not. I have seen a picture of a pretty girl get "You look amazing" "Wow so hot" "absolutely beautiful" for pages and pages and then other pics with ..... nothing. You cant tell me there is no validity with examples like that.

As to the question to why I am pointing it out - because I think it deserves to be acknowledged - Initially it was because there was denial - I would not have gone on about it if people would actually acknowledged it to begin with. I am not entirely sure why people deny such harsh truths about the world - is it merely to feel comfortable? or to ease unpleasant feelings or to deny our own biases toward others?
Sorry if I sound like a bastard - I certainly don't mean to come across as harsh or insulting - but society and the world at large is not balanced - and this is one truth that seems to be the hardest to swallow.

WishingICould

Well it seems the premise of the debate has changed. I don't think the 'post your picture thread' is nothing but an indication of shallowness and gauging the level of ones physical attractiveness - satiation of curiosity prompts a response also. But I do think that there is some degree of truth that the level of comments and replies, as well as the actual replies themselves indicate to the posters and others at how physically beautiful one happens to be - or not. I have seen a picture of a pretty girl get "You look amazing" "Wow so hot" "absolutely beautiful" for pages and pages and then other pics with ..... nothing. You cant tell me there is no validity with examples like that.

As to the question to why I am pointing it out - because I think it deserves to be acknowledged - Initially it was because there was denial - I would not have gone on about it if people would actually acknowledged it to begin with. I am not entirely sure why people deny such harsh truths about the world - is it merely to feel comfortable? or to ease unpleasant feelings or to deny our own biases toward others?
Sorry if I sound like a bastard - I certainly don't mean to come across as harsh or insulting - but society and the world at large is not balanced - and this is one truth that seems to be the hardest to swallow.

I personally think you said it to make people feel bad. I wonder if you would have said the same thing if your picture hadn't got any comments. You're not stupid so I'm pretty sure you knew what you said would hurt people and get a reaction.

KiaKaha

Banned
I personally think you said it to make people feel bad. I wonder if you would have said the same thing if your picture hadn't got any comments. You're not stupid so I'm pretty sure you knew what you said would hurt people and get a reaction.

Why would I try to make people feel bad on purpose? Sometimes the things I say upset people, because they disagree with my view point - but I would never intentionally put someone down or make them feel bad about themselves - especially people who may be feeling bad about themselves already. I was watching the biggest loser last night and there was a 20 year old man who had been bullied all through out his life because of his weight and appearance - and my heart went out to him - all the suffering he had endured, the isolation, lonliness, emotional and physical bullying - simply because he was not particularly attractive. I think denying the fact that looks dont count is a lot more cruel than acknowledging that they do. Even the fact that people are afraid to post a picture indicates (to a degree - not a rule) that we care about others think - based on our appearance) Once again, I am sorry if I have upset anyone - but I still stand by what I have said.

Last edited:

WishingICould

Why would I try to make people feel bad on purpose? Sometimes the things I say upset people, because they disagree with my view point - but I would never intentionally put someone down or make them feel bad about themselves - especially people who may be feeling bad about themselves already. I was watching the biggest loser last night and there was a 20 year old man who had been bullied all through out his life because of his weight and appearance - and my heart went out to him - all the suffering he had endured, the isolation, lonliness, emotional and physical bullying - simply because he was not particularly attractive. I think denying the fact that looks dont count is a lot more cruel than acknowledging that they do. Even the fact that people are afraid to post a picture indicates (to a degree - not a rule) that we care about others think - based on our appearance) Once again, I am sorry if I have upset anyone - but I still stand by what I have said.

Nobody is denying the fact that looks don't count. Everybody knows that. But, like i said, if you know that people on here are afraid to post their picture, how is pointing out that if they don't get many comments it means they're not attractive, helpful? I've asked this question how many times now? Do you think that will encourage people and give them the confidence to join in and post on that thread? And before you say "i was just being honest", there's a time and a place for that and i don't believe that you were just trying to be honest I'm not going to bother arguing anymore because i can't be bothered.

Winja

I think that pretty girls get more responses because people find it difficult to lie and why should someone with a slight advantage at life live their life not realizing it.

However people that are well established here with lots of friends will get a lot of responses, ugly or not. For one of them to constantly argue that lots of responses means prettiness is an absolute nuisance and after the third post on the same thread it's just stupidity.

And their constant ramblings about how people are judged on looks only reflects badly on them. Are they really implying that they would date an absolute bitch just because she was pretty.

I've turned down pretty girls because I didn't get on with them and I've dated girls that were "beautiful on the inside" because I really did get on with them. The same obviously can't be said for everyone although I do think it's the case for most. Go to your local high street it's not pretty couples and ugly couples.

I just don't get why someone wouldn't write a ten thousand word essay on it and put that on the site instead of trying to inject a special level of misery into half the threads he comes across.

Last edited:

KiaKaha

Banned
Nobody is denying the fact that looks don't count. Everybody knows that. But, like i said, if you know that people on here are afraid to post their picture, how is pointing out that if they don't get many comments it means they're not attractive, helpful? I've asked this question how many times now? Do you think that will encourage people and give them the confidence to join in and post on that thread? And before you say "i was just being honest", there's a time and a place for that and i don't believe that you were just trying to be honest I'm not going to bother arguing anymore because i can't be bothered.

Well firstly, you could of fooled me because that is exactly what people were saying a while ago. Yes you have asked this question, and I have already answered it - you don't have to agree with my answer, in fact you can downright reject it if you like. But I will try again. How is pointing out favouritism and a natural tendency toward human superficiality? Because it makes us question our own behaviour and attitudes to others - it makes us accountable and to question why some get so much and others so little. I always find it peculiar how people seem to think they are so fair and balanced but will continue to ignore or address that natural advantages and disadvantages that we all posses - and the entire affect it has on our society.

People derail threads to distract because it's too discomforting to talk about. I notice that a lot on SPW. As long as the status quo and the majority prevails everyone is happy.

WishingICould

I think that pretty girls get more responses because people find it difficult to lie and why should someone with a slight advantage at life live their life not realizing it.

However people that are well established here with lots of friends will get a lot of responses, ugly or not. For one of them to constantly argue that lots of responses means prettiness is an absolute nuisance and after the third post on the same thread it's just stupidity.

And their constant ramblings about how people are judged on looks only reflects badly on them. Are they really implying that they would date an absolute bitch just because she was pretty.

I've turned down pretty girls because I didn't get on with them and I've dated girls that were "beautiful on the inside" because I really did get on with them. The same obviously can't be said for everyone although I do think it's the case for most. Go to your local high street it's not pretty couples and ugly couples.

I just don't get why someone wouldn't write a ten thousand word essay on it and put that on the site instead of trying to inject a special level of misery into half the threads he comes across.

Who are you talking about?

twiggle

Don't you see how shallow it is of you to post this puppy solely on the basis of how 'cute' it is? Don't you care about what this puppy is like as a person?! I'm furious that you...you....

d'awwwww

:)

Hahahahahhahahahahahahaha.
:bigsmile:

Edit: I've just commented on the puppy. The puppy is therefore extremely attractive. Now, if you'd posted a bull-terrier with half its fur shaved off........

*hopes no barbered bull-terriers read SPW*

Last edited:

1BlackSheep

So by that logic, the same should hold true for super hot males. Why should they have to go through life not realizing how gorgeous they are! While we're at it, why don't we compliment all of the wealthy people on their huge bank balances. I mean, surely they deserve some love too!

::p: (where's the eyeroll smilie when I need it!)

Last edited:
So by that logic, the same should hold true for super hot males. Why should they have to go through life not realizing how gorgeous they are! While we're at it, why don't we compliment all of the wealthy people on their huge bank balances. I mean, surely they deserve some love too!

:lol: :applause:

Winja

The thing is nobody can really judge themselves that well. However if Cash Dismorphic Disorder becomes a little prevalent then why not. Or they could just check their bank account. :idontknow: :bigsmile:

@WishingICould not you and really! It's only me that's noticed.

Last edited:

Flanscho

I'm not really a fan of these "post your picture" threads.

• you can't give an honest opinion anyway. Would you really write "you would be cute if you wouldn't have such a huge nose and too much weight" or something like that? It's pretty lies anyway
  • looks are mostly irrelevant, we all age and get shrivelled up
  • looks are to a huge degree the result of plain luck. Sure, whether you do sports or brush your teeth is not a matter of luck. But it's still a huge amount of genetics that plays a role, as well as certain diseases crippling you or what else
  • especially on the internet, looks are irrelevant. While I like meeting people I get to know on the internet, I will never meet 99% of those who post their pictures here. So what matters are our minds, not our bodies.
  • the threads can make people feel bad who know they are not beautiful, by seeing people, who are beautiful, constantly post their pictures. They might not intend it, but they are making it worse for others.

I just don't see the point.

Status
Not open for further replies.