Post your picture thread - the debate

Are you for or against having a "Post your picture thread" or similar thread?

• For/Support

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Unsure/Undecided/Neutral/Both/Neither

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Against/Reject

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pookah

I like the picture thread because then we can see the faces behind the screen names etc. I don't think it is for everyone of course because some like anonymity but those who are ok with posting seem to have fun with it.

KiaKaha

Banned
I think bigger personalities get more comments, more established members get more comments. Kia your pictures get about 5 pages of comments, why do you think that is?

Oh please. It's at least 9 pages.

It's cruel to point it out when a few pages before you said it someone had posted saying they were upset because people ignored their picture. You pointing out that unattractive people get ignored most probably made them feel bad.

Everyone knows that beautiful people get attention but i wasn't talking about in general, i was talking about that thread and how people can easily miss people's pictures. You said you didn't agree with that and that it would be impossible to miss somebody's picture hence nobody commented because they're not attractive. That's not helpful.

Most likely it did. But that doesn't change human nature - whether it be online of off. We all know that more attractive people are seen in a more favourable light - it has been proven. The post your picture thread is a reflection of that fact. It doesn't mean I am implying resentment or that people who are less attractive are 'ugly' - attraction is most definitely in the eye of the beholder - but I think physical beauty is not. Everyone knows the difference between an attractive person and someone who isn't. It is not cruel or mean to acknowledge this - it is the way we are. I think by pretending that the number of comments that people receive is not any indication at all of how good looking someone actually is - is merely an attempt to not be perceived as superficial or shallow (and we ALL are to some degree) - I also disagree that people 'miss' pictures - for the reasons I have already stated - there may be some truth if it is a new person that no one has seen before - but still if that was the case and someone was very obviously beautiful, whether or not they were well known I believe they would still get acknowledged on their beauty - and I think that that can work in the exact opposite.
I mean really - I could post a picture of up a good looking person and someone...well...less aesthetically pleasing and everyone is going to know exactly what is what. I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to admit this.

Although I suppose now people will ensure that no one gets ignored at all in the post your picture thread to combat everything that I have stated and to prove the opposite.

Attractiveness is in the eye of the beholder.

Being attracted to someone is - but I think there are absolutes in terms of physical beauty. The whole modelling industry is built on this fact.

Last edited:

Starry

Most likely it did. But that doesn't change human nature - whether it be online of off. We all know that more attractive people are seen in a more favourable light - it has been proven. The post your picture thread is a reflection of that fact. It doesn't mean I am implying resentment or that people who are less attractive are 'ugly' - attraction is most definitely in the eye of the beholder - but I think physical beauty is not. Everyone knows the difference between an attractive person and someone who isn't. It is not cruel or mean to acknowledge this - it is the way we are. I think by pretending that the number of comments that people receive is not any indication at all of how good looking someone actually is - is merely an attempt to not be perceived as superficial or shallow (and we ALL are to some degree) - I also disagree that people 'miss' pictures - for the reasons I have already stated - there may be some truth if it is a new person that no one has seen before - but still if that was the case and someone was very obviously beautiful, whether or not they were well known I believe they would still get acknowledged on their beauty - and I think that that can work in the exact opposite.
I mean really - I could post a picture of up a good looking person and someone...well...less aesthetically pleasing and everyone is going to know exactly what is what. I do not understand why it is so difficult for people to admit this.

This is, for the most part, true... Studies have shown that good-looking people are considered more trustworthy, more approachable etc... People are just more drawn to good-looking people. However, people do miss pictures and there are many other factors at play also.

However, I must point out, that other than a basic standard of health (i.e symmetry, healthy looking skin etc) a lot of what is considered good-looking is dictated by society... You only need to look at different tribes and see their definitions of "beauty" to see that.

I've noticed a lot of people who tend to get more comments than average in the thread have the modern Western styles of beauty as pushed by the media... While some who receive fewer would definitely meet other standards of beauty (be they from the past or from another culture).

Now, whilst how many comments you receive is based upon many things, popularity being one, there is still a correlation between how good-looking someone is and how many comments they receive. I have direct proof of this... Back when I was originally on this forum, back in 2007/2008, I was more popular than I am now - I had more people talk to me (I had 5 people who regularly spoke to me as opposed to the 2 I have now)... But I was also inferior in looks to the way I am now (I've lost weight since then which has improved me), I posted around about the same number of pictures as I have since returning... On average I received about half the comments I received now, if that... And all of them were the generic kind of comment, whilst I think only around half to 3/4 of the comments I get now are the generic kind...

There's no way that's coincidence... As I said, I'm less popular now...

Meaning, I am sure, that two equally popular users, one extra good-looking and the other average looking would not receive the same number of comments...

We cannot deny the truth. But we can still act in ways which make people feel good.

Last edited:
Now, whilst how many comments you receive is based upon many things, popularity being one, there is still a correlation between how good-looking someone is and how many comments they receive. I have direct proof of this... Back when I was originally on this forum, back in 2007/2008, I was more popular than I am now - I had more people talk to me (I had 5 people who regularly spoke to me as opposed to the 2 I have now)... But I was also inferior in looks to the way I am now (I've lost weight since then which has improved me), I posted around about the same number of pictures as I have since returning... On average I received about half the comments I received now, if that... And all of them were the generic kind of comment, whilst I think only around half to 3/4 of the comments I get now are the generic kind...

There's no way that's coincidence... As I said, I'm less popular now...

Meaning, I am sure, that two equally popular users, one extra good-looking and the other average looking would not receive the same number of comments...

We cannot deny the truth. But we can still act in ways which make people feel good.

Starry this is hardly scientific!?!? I mean how can you compare a response from the forum 6 years ago to a response from the forum now? All the players have changed.:eek: You have no control to compare it to, so I don't accept your findings.

Personally, I commented on your photo because it was the first time I'd seen a photo of you but I'd read many of your posts. I remember the photo and I remember the comment. The picture was just of your face turned to the camera, it didn't show any of the rest of you to indicate your weight.

Although I suppose now people will ensure that no one gets ignored at all in the post your picture thread to combat everything that I have stated and to prove the opposite.

Kia, the forum doesn't operate with its main motive in mind to disprove you.

Nathália

Re: Post your picture thread

The post your picture thread is an accurate gauge of your physical attractiveness.

Based on the number of responses you get.... of course it aint entirely scientific, but sometimes natural observance is an accurate indicator of what is.

I see how it can hurt other peoples feelings if a picture before or after them had way more comments. I've gone back and seen a picture that was missed because no one seen their picture, and it was right before mines and people only commented on me because the other picture did not show up and that person did not show up in the thread.

So I went back to remove my picture and saw their picture and quoted them onto the next page and then people started to comment on their picture. That was so strange, I have proof that it happened. My name can be searched over there around October 2012.

So yes pictures can be missed sometimes and sometimes they are just not commented on or few people comment. I wonder if it because people delete their post in the thread and it pushes people back sometimes? I do not know. Just coming up with reasons.

Some people look nothing like they do in pictures and videos. Unless you're just talking about just pictures then I agree, I also disagree a little bit with that statement and do not feel like going into large detail to why. I look nothing like I do on any photos or videos compared to real life.

Last edited:

Starry

Starry this is hardly scientific!?!? I mean how can you compare a response from the forum 6 years ago to a response from the forum now? All the players have changed.:eek: You have no control to compare it to, so I don't accept your findings.

Personally, I commented on your photo because it was the first time I'd seen a photo of you but I'd read many of your posts. I remember the photo and I remember the comment. The picture was just of your face turned to the camera, it didn't show any of the rest of you to indicate your weight.

Well actually, the same thing has happened on other forums too - with the same people on them... (The weight loss happened over a year or so, so the people didn't change much on the other forum as it fluctuated a lot less than this one does.)

And my face has improved with weight loss, so my point stands.

Last edited:
Well actually, the same thing has happened on other forums too - with the same people on them... (The weight loss happened over a year or so, so the people didn't change much on the other forum as it fluctuated a lot less than this one does.)

And my face has improved with weight loss, so my point stands.
I weighed about 60lbs more when I started on the forum than I do now and had a big chubby steroid face, looked pretty sickly too and my picture gets the same amount of comments now as then. And I don't look the same.

I think you're overthinking it

The whole modelling industry is built on this fact.

I must politely disagree. Many models have a certain bone structure or features, and height, depending on the modelling they're doing. But honestly quite a few models aren't even that attractive in real life - they just happen to take good photos for fashion modelling. If you've ever watched America's Next Top Model (I'd assume not since it's pretty much a chick show), you'll notice some of the women are fairly attractive, but many are average or slightly above but not mindblowing. They just happen to have certain features modelling agencies look for. And never mind the weight these women have to be at - not healthy (ie beautiful) at all.

In the real world, from what I've noticed, a woman almost universally considered beautiful usually isn't dangerously thin, gaunt face, Amazonian height (not that there's anything wrong with really tall women, but men seem to prefer women who are shorter than them). I think the models encompass a whole different set of standards. Not that some women don't worship these standards and try to embody them.

Silatuyok

I've seen some people on here become popular almost exclusively by posting beautiful pictures of themselves. There is one person I have in mind, but I'm not pointing fingers or anything--just that when I went to look at this person's post history, it was almost nothing but photos of said person. And yet, this person would get tons of compliments with each and every posting. So, you don't necessarily have to be a top contributor or even a contributor much at all to get lots of attention!

Starry

I weighed about 60lbs more when I started on the forum than I do now and had a big chubby steroid face, looked pretty sickly too and my picture gets the same amount of comments now as then. And I don't look the same.

I think you're overthinking it

Nope, no over-thinking on my part, just pointing out honest observation. I have seen the same thing happen to others, not through weight loss necessarily, but looks improving due to one reason or another and suddenly they get much more attention.

Maybe for you personally, although you look different it's not an improvement as such? I've seen some people lose weight who look inferior or who look the same in term of good looks for example...

I'm actually taking the middle ground on this issue. I think both extremes have good points and they all interact to create the whole picture... But to deny the obvious; that better looking people generally get more attention is a fallacy. However, that doesn't mean that I think that these people are genuinely better looking - the majority are simply those who fit in with what society currently says is good as I pointed out in an earlier post. Indeed, quite often, simply matching the style, even without the substance of genuine good looks is enough...

Maybe for you personally, although you look different it's not an improvement as such? I've seen some people lose weight who look inferior or who look the same in term of good looks for example...

I think its fair to say its an improvement. When I posted originally I was very sick and missing clumps of my hair and my face was unrecognisably swollen. Now I look like a completely different person for the better, I'm not sick like that now.

I may agree in the real world people respond to aesthetics but on this forum I absolutely object. I think people on here are a lot more sensitive and caring and respond to people and personalities. If people don't know you they're a lot less likely to comment. That's about it really. And sometimes pictures get missed, that happens too. I've had pictures missed a couple times and I've deleted them then. I didn't take it to heart though, just happens.

WishingICould

I've seen some people on here become popular almost exclusively by posting beautiful pictures of themselves. There is one person I have in mind, but I'm not pointing fingers or anything--just that when I went to look at this person's post history, it was almost nothing but photos of said person. And yet, this person would get tons of compliments with each and every posting. So, you don't necessarily have to be a top contributor or even a contributor much at all to get lots of attention!

I think I know who you mean. That p*ssed me off because they haven't bothered to post on anyone else's thread or help anyone part from themselves. I doubt they even have social anxiety in the first place.

WishingICould

Oh please. It's at least 9 pages.

Being attracted to someone is - but I think there are absolutes in terms of physical beauty. The whole modelling industry is built on this fact.

You still don't get it. Nobody is saying that attractive people don't get more attention but HOW is pointing that out helpful on a thread like that? Do you think you got a lot of comments because you're more attractive than the people who didn't?

KiaKaha

Banned
Kia, the forum doesn't operate with its main motive in mind to disprove you.

I never said it did. Quite often realization motivates action.

You still don't get it. Nobody is saying that attractive people don't get more attention but HOW is pointing that out helpful on a thread like that? Do you think you got a lot of comments because you're more attractive than the people who didn't?

I get it fine. You seem to be offended that I have pointed out a natural tendency that good looking people get attention and others get ignored because it's cruel to do so and makes those who are less noticed feel bad about themselves - I think it's more cruel to ignore the natural inequities and obvious favoritism to only some people and not others... you see this everywhere - beauty is institutionalized and is important, it's more important than I think people want to admit to. Do people wish to ignore the fact that looks matter because it makes us appear superficial and biased? Or is it because it makes us feel obliged to treat some people different depending on their personal merits and natural strengths (or rather lack of them)?

Last edited:

planemo

I don't necessarily think the post your pic thread encourages shallow thinking but is it a platform for us to show our shallow side? - perhaps in certain cases it is. i agree with kia in that we are all a lot more shallow then we would like to believe. i think if i have to be honest i'm probably way more shallow then i would like to be.

but i don't think the thread is entirely based on shallowness. a lot of members do want to put a face to a username, others will say positive things to make a person who is self conscious feel better, or just say something because that person is a good friend or a regular on the forum. commenting and posting on the thread is such an amalgamation of so many things, some things conscious and some things unconscious. certain people do post their pics to get attention, others not so, but can we really say one stance is better than the other?

i personally don't think the thread should be removed. it's up to the individual to comment/post a pic/not comment/not post a pic - as they see fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.