Post your picture thread - the debate

Are you for or against having a "Post your picture thread" or similar thread?

• For/Support

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Unsure/Undecided/Neutral/Both/Neither

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Against/Reject

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lea

Banned
People don't post those pictures to gain acceptance of any kind. There's more then a few regular members that are perfectly accepted that have never even as much as hinted what they look like.

Why can't we have a thread such as that on this forum without it being scrutinized as some of resonating beacon of narcissism? It's harmless fun, good for exposure and should be treated as such.

I agree with this,in today's world I see still bigger tendency to remove anything that could be considered as harmful or offensive,not realizing that life shouldn't be super smooth and smaller or bigger risks are it's natural part,or even healthy. Are we going to outlaw rain,because someone could get wet,or ice because someone could slip on it,sun because someone could get burned? Laugh because someone could be laughed out? There used to be rep system on this forum,but again it got removed because it might make feel someone bad. Grow some balls people..

And I have facepalmed more than once when an especially pretty girl posts her picture, knowing it was about to get quoted over and over with polite translations of 'OMG I WANNA DO YOU SIDEWAYS'. Testosterone--what can you do? :idontknow:

I try to avoid such frenzies myself specifically because I don't think that's helpful in a place like this.

On the whole though I really think the good points outweigh the bad in having a picture thread.

Yeahhh, um. While I have participated in the picture thread, I have to say that when I see people write things like "OMG YOU'RE SOOOO BEAUTIFUL, WOOWW!" I can't help but cringe because 1) if you're a male making the comment about a female, it just looks bad for you, sorry, and 2) how must the others feel who only get comments like "Lookin' good!" or "Nice pic" or no comment at all? You may argue that a less enthusiastic compliment is better than none, but compared to "WHOA HOTTAY" it kind of just looks lame. I'm not saying people should lie about how they rate another person's attractiveness - I'm saying maybe when you see an especially attractive person post, don't fawn all over him/her because it comes off as kind of mean.

(and I must admit now that I've made such comments about some people who have posted in the past. I apologize for that and I won't be giving any of those types of comments any more. I may just not participate in that thread at all if those types of comments continue, as it seems kind of mean to me)

Last edited:
I agree with this,in today's world I see still bigger tendency to remove anything that could be considered as harmful or offensive,not realizing that life shouldn't be super smooth and smaller or bigger risks are it's natural part,or even healthy. Are we going to outlaw rain,because someone could get wet,or ice because someone could slip on it,sun because someone could get burned? Laugh because someone could be laughed out? There used to be rep system on this forum,but again it got removed because it might make feel someone bad. Grow some balls people..

While I understand what you're saying, according to this type of logic people should have to put up with insults on here, rudeness, creepiness, etc. because it occurs in the real world, so why should we insulate people here? I disagree with this because I feel this site is a haven, a place to get away from all of that and relax in a far less judgmental space. That's just me though, and I don't run the site :idontknow:

Lea

Banned
While I understand what you're saying, according to this type of logic people should have to put up with insults on here, rudeness, creepiness, etc. because it occurs in the real world, so why should we insulate people here? I disagree with this because I feel this site is a haven, a place to get away from all of that and relax in a far less judgmental space. That's just me though, and I don't run the site :idontknow:

I think though,if we want to have this thread,this is the price to pay for it. It can make people naturally jealous or feeling they are not good enough,but the only alternative is to remove the thread or other attractive people from the world. Btw who says anything about rudeness,insults and creepiness,I think this thread is quite decent in this sense,like most of the forum.

Btw who says anything about rudeness,insults and creepiness,I think this thread is quite decent in this sense,like most of the forum.

I was saying that by that logic we should also allow those things, because they occur in the real world. It didn't have anything to do with the picture thread specifically.

Winja

Yeah, whatever! Kia gets all the attention by breaking society's rules so I thought I'd get me some attention.

SPW is not your life, try not taking everything so seriously. I wrote one "wurgh" (pervert noise) comment straight after there had been a 9 page warning thread about how people who aren't confident in their looks should not look at the pictures thread. If they still looked at it after all of that and got jealous because somebody else deserves a "wurgh" I don't care.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
There used to be rep system on this forum,but again it got removed because it might make feel someone bad. Grow some balls people..

It got removed because people used it to troll and bully others anonymously. This isn't you-tube it's a support site. The webmaster could not alter the function to show the user who bad repped with comments, so he then removed it instead.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
That is why the young and attractive post their pics to soak up the praise, and the older and less attractive like myself don't.

That's not necesarily a bad thing. You don't want a bunch of wankers to talk to you because of your looks, do you? I certainly wouldn't like that.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Yeah, whatever! Kia gets all the attention by breaking society's rules so I thought I'd get me some attention.

SPW is not your life, try not taking everything so seriously. I wrote one "wurgh" (pervert noise) comment straight after there had been a 9 page warning thread about how people who aren't confident in their looks should not look at the pictures thread. If they still looked at it after all of that and got jealous because somebody else deserves a "wurgh" I don't care.
Wait. What? I think you may have misunderstood something.

Also, this hasn't been 9 pages of warning insecure people not to look at the pic thread.

Winja

Wait. What? I think you may have misunderstood something.

Also, this hasn't been 9 pages of warning insecure people not to look at the pic thread.

okay I'm sorry.

It's just my comment was the first one I've ever seen which could have been described as an
'OMG I WANNA DO YOU SIDEWAYS'.

My mistake. I rarely pay much attention to the picture thread except for the pictures.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I see. Yeah, I had the impression you thought it might be about you.

Nope. I wasn't thinking about you at all. I hadn't even noticed your comment.

But you will see such comments if you do start paying attention--polite translations, as I said.

Also, I sometimes see guys on this site going from one pretty girl's picture to the next with comments expressing thinly veiled lust. Quite natural of course. I do not think these gentlemen are considering things from the girl's perspective--a girl being told how hot she is by someone who just said that to 6 other girls is going to feel very not special.

^Also not talking about you, Winja.

Lea

Banned
I was saying that by that logic we should also allow those things, because they occur in the real world. It didn't have anything to do with the picture thread specifically.

Here it's not about allowing it or not,these are always bad things wherever they are,be it in "real life" or unreal life :D. It's just a matter of good manners.

Lea

Banned
It got removed because people used it to troll and bully others anonymously. This isn't you-tube it's a support site. The webmaster could not alter the function to show the user who bad repped with comments, so he then removed it instead.

Ok, I understand it.

I think it might be an alright idea to only allow images. I mean, if someone feels a compliment is absolutely necessary, they could send it through a PM or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.