Post your picture thread - the debate

Are you for or against having a "Post your picture thread" or similar thread?

• For/Support

Votes: 36 64.3%
  • Unsure/Undecided/Neutral/Both/Neither

Votes: 18 32.1%
  • Against/Reject

Votes: 2 3.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

twiggle

I just thought the thread was about seeing what people actually looked like beyond their avatars - a curiosity sort of thing - and for people to give themselves a bit of exposure therapy.

People here are already well aware that having good looks can bring benefits in life and that society can be shallow - for many people here, that's probably one of the causes of their anxiety and why they're here in the first place.

I just think it's great that we have a post your picture thread where people are prepared to make the brave step of putting up a photo and saying, 'hey, that's me!'.

It shouldn't be about whether or not people are attractive, it should be about helping people feel comfortable with who they are and what they look like, and helping the SPW community feel that little bit closer by putting a face to a name.

I still completely disagree with the notion that the more comments you have, the more attractive you are. Yes people are judgmental and its impossible not to acknowledge it if you think somebody is particularly dishy. It IS a bit creepy when people seem to rush to add users (with 1 or 2 posts) as friends as soon as they post an attractive photo, but I've seen plenty of 'attractive' photos with only a couple of responses. I still believe that it's more about how often you post and that having none or only a few comments should not be seen as an indicator of lack of attractiveness.

Last edited:

KiaKaha

Banned
To the distant realm of Over-Thinking-Land.

:alone:

Over thinking - since when is over thinking bad? I thought thinking was good. I guess its like how nice is now bad or is a 'myth'... apparently.
Perhaps it is because it might cause realization and take us out of our comfortable little bubble - and that is scary.

Last edited:

KiaKaha

Banned
People here are already well aware that having good looks can bring benefits in life and that society can be shallow - for many people here, that's probably one of the causes of their anxiety and why they're here in the first place.

Exactly - because people care what others think about them. Rejection hurts - non acceptance and not living up to a standard hurts, exclusion hurts, feeling like we are not good enough hurts - but we are all responsible for the pain that others go through because of the tendency to look upon favorably to some and not others - it is built within us. What I am trying to drive at is that by ignoring this tendency we are perpetuating the very thing that is causing the problem to begin with.

It shouldn't be about whether or not people are attractive, it should be about helping people feel comfortable with who they are and what they look like, and helping the SPW community feel that little bit closer by putting a face to a name.

I still completely disagree with the notion that the more comments you have, the more attractive you are. Yes people are judgmental and its impossible not to acknowledge it if you think somebody is particularly dishy. It IS a bit creepy when people seem to rush to add users (with 1 or 2 posts) as friends as soon as they post an attractive photo, but I've seen plenty of 'attractive' photos with only a couple of responses. I still believe that it's more about how often you post and that having none or only a few comments should not be seen as an indicator of lack of attractiveness.

I agree with the intent of the post your picture thread and the ultimate benefits that posting what you look like brings to the forum. The social cohesiveness factor, bringing the community closer and making users more 'real' and more friendly. It should be about that - but I believe it is the opposite is being cultured instead - albeit unintentionally.

I still think that the number of responses is at the very least, an indication of some kind - of the level of beauty one may posses. You only need to look closely at the pictures and the kinds of comments that are posted in response - not just the number of them (although that is an indicator too) pages and pages of comments for attractive people and barely a response for others, I think nearly all 'attractive' people on the post your picture thread get WAY more responses... despite the level of how well known someone is - that would suggest it to be true.

I am going to do some research on this topic in the 'real' world - on websites that are less 'forgiving' and in the real world - where people are less sympathetic to expose the superficiality of our culture.

Last edited:

twiggle

^ There is truth in what you are saying, however I just don't see that it's really as black or white as you are making it out to be:

The post your picture thread is an accurate gauge of your physical attractiveness.

Not always.

If this debate had originated not from the above statement but a more rounded view like your post above, you'd probably find more people were to agree with you.

KiaKaha

Banned
No it probably isn't as black and white as that - admittedly, and I do acknowledge that how well a person is known on here may play a part - but I do believe there is a significant amount of truth to what I am saying because - it just seems very starkly obvious.

Remus

Staff member
Over thinking - since when is over thinking bad? I thought thinking was good. I guess its like how nice is now bad or is a 'myth'... apparently.
Perhaps it is because it might cause realization and take us out of our comfortable little bubble - and that is scary.

Thinking = good

Over thinking = bad!

I have conducted a highly accurate scientific study of my own.

Based on kia's logic of more comments->more attractiveness, I would like to present you to the most attractive member of this forum...better known as Coyote's assistant 'Hubert'

4f2f1f4b015b_2ed7e444-631c-4aa1-8331-f5074c6ade4e

Remus

Staff member
I have conducted a highly accurate scientific study of my own.

Based on kia's logic of more comments->more attractiveness, I would like to present you to the most attractive member of this forum...better known as Coyote's assistant 'Hubert'

4f2f1f4b015b_2ed7e444-631c-4aa1-8331-f5074c6ade4e

I love you Hubert :inlove:

WishingICould

The thing is nobody can really judge themselves that well. However if Cash Dismorphic Disorder becomes a little prevalent then why not. Or they could just check their bank account. :idontknow: :bigsmile:

@WishingICould not you and really! It's only me that's noticed.

It's only you that's noticed what? Sorry, I'm having a stupid day. *SMH*

@KIA. You got a lot of comments on your picture. More than most people. Does that mean you're more attractive than them? :idontknow:

Severian

KiaKaha, I completely agree with everything you've said in this thread. You can see the same behaviour in the picture thread over at SAS. The obviously conventionally unattractive people get far less attention, and the few comments they do receive say things like, "Oh, er, you have nice hair!" or "You look like a nice person :)"

SAUK is a bit better, but the obviously conventionally attractive types (usually young women) still get noticeably better feedback.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.