Post your Favorite Quotes!

ghostgrrl

'The only real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes but in having new eyes' ~ Marcel Proust

'Two important things is to have a genuine interest in people and to be kind to them. Kindness, I discovered is everything' ~ Isaac Bashevis Singer

'A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within' ~ W. Durant

'If I fail, at least I will fail my way' ~ Jodie Foster

'True knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance' ~ unknown

montejocarlo

"...Because something is significantly wrong with a creature that sacrifices its children's lives to settle its differences." -Suzanne Collins, Mockingjay

Foxface

Can it be song lyrics too?

"I never thought, I'd die alone
Another six months, I'll be unknown
Give all my things, to all my friends
You'll never step foot in my room again
You'll close it off, board it up
Remember the time that I spilled the cup,
Of Apple juice, In the hall
Please tell Mom this is not her fault"

montejocarlo

"I'm trying to free your mind, Neo. But I can only show you the door. You're the one that has to walk through it."
(The Matrix)

"The only thing harder than holding on is letting go."

Last edited:

Phoenixx

life has no meaning whatsoever

i believe that's a good thing

it frees us from the angst of trying to figure everything out - of trying to find "the answer"

some people would rather hold onto that angst and suffer - this seems silly to me

some people would rather latch onto an "answer" (most notably provided by religion) without really knowing for sure if it's accurate or not (since there is no way to know) - this is called faith. it often relieves the suffering of the individual believer, but may increase suffering in the world if the tenets of that faith require the believer to harm others (which is often the case) - this also seems silly to me

i question the need for "the answer" in the first place

all of the other living beings in the world seem to manage just fine without knowing "why they're here" - does a tiger agonize over his place in the cosmos before leaping on a gazelle or mounting his mate?

we all exist as part of a greater whole

each one of us - you, me, the tiger - do not exist in separate universes or different realities. we are all part of the same whole - we exist together as one thing

does your pinky toe question why it exists? does it strive to differentiate itself from all the other toes, or the rest of your body?

your pinky toe exists to make your body complete

we exist to make the universe complete

to leap, to mount, to live

Just thought I'd post that here. ;)

Starry

I read this a few days ago and thought it wonderfully appropriate:

“I must say that, beyond occasionally exposing me to laughter, my constitutional shyness has been no dis-advantage whatever. In fact I can see that, on the contrary, it has been all to my advantage. My hesitancy in speech, which was once an annoyance, is now a pleasure. Its greatest benefit has been that it has taught me the economy of words. I have naturally formed the habit of restraining my thoughts. And I can now give myself the certificate that a thoughtless word hardly ever escapes my tongue or pen. I do not recollect ever having had to regret anything in my speech or writing. I have thus been spared many a mishap and waste of time. Experience has taught my that silence is part of the spiritual discipline of a votary of truth. Proneness to exaggerate, to suppress or modify the truth, wittingly or unwittingly, is a natural weakness of man, and silence is necessary in order to surmount it. A man of few words will rarely be thoughtless in his speech; he will measure every word. We find so many people impatient to talk. There is no chairman of a meeting who is not pestered with notes for permission to speak. And whenever the permission is given the speaker generally exceeds the time-limit, asks for more time, and keeps on talking without permission. All this talking can hardly be said to be of any benefit to the world. It is so much waste of time. My shyness has been in reality my shield and buckler. It has allowed me to grow. It has helped me in my discernment of truth.”
― Mahatma Gandhi

Amitush123

1) "War is not nice" - Barbara Bush :p

2) "One day President Roosevelt told me that he was asking publicly for suggestions about what the war should be called. I said at once 'The Unnecessary War'." - Sir Winston Churchill

Feliscatus

"I meant," said Iplsore bitterly, "what is there in this world that makes living worthwhile?" Death thought about it. "CATS," he said eventually, "CATS ARE NICE."
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery

"If you’re going to try, go all the way. Otherwise, don’t even start. This could mean losing girlfriends, wives, relatives and maybe even your mind. It could mean not eating for three or four days. It could mean freezing on a park bench. It could mean jail. It could mean derision. It could mean mockery–isolation. Isolation is the gift. All the others are a test of your endurance, of how much you really want to do it. And, you’ll do it, despite rejection and the worst odds. And it will be better than anything else you can imagine. If you’re going to try, go all the way. There is no other feeling like that. You will be alone with the gods, and the nights will flame with fire. You will ride life straight to perfect laughter. It’s the only good fight there is."

-Henry Chinaski in Charles Bukowski's Factotum

Section_31

"I tried being reasonable. I didnt like it".

"This isnt an office! its hell with flourescent lighting!!".

"Im not tense, im just terribly terribly alert!"

"Your face is (insert description)"

U

user deleted

‘The Individual’s real existence is only in the present, whose unimpeded flight into the past is a constant transition into death, a constant dying….as a matter of reason it must be indifferent to him whether the contents of that past were pains or pleasures […] But the present in his hands is constantly becoming the past […] Thus his existence […] is a continual rushing of the present into the dead past, a constant dying […] the life of our body only a constantly prevented dying, an ever-deferred death.’

- Schopenhauer