Post a random fact about yourself...

tempelton

This is really great. Do you and your mother talk about why you were fostered in the first place? What do your adopted parents think about you reconnecting with your birth mother?

Thanks.

Well, I come from Ireland and, in the 1970's (and the preceding decades) Ireland was little short of being a Catholic dictatorship. Thousands and thousands of people were "disappeared" (often for life) into the 'reformatories', 'laundries' and 'children's homes' where they encountered horrific physical and sexual abuse in endemic numbers.

Having a child out of wedlock was more than just unacceptable - it was an outrage and thus had to be hushed up and punished. Once pregnant with me, my mother was well aware of all of the above. It is true though that when I was born (1977) the number of women who were choosing to keep their babies when born out of wedlock was on the rise, but my mum was just 18 and under heavy pressure from all sides and so she didn't feel that option was available to her.

She managed to conceal her pregnancy throughout the duration (another fairly common thing back then), meaning that nobody knew about me until the day I was born. A week later, a 'friend' of the family - the local priest - came and took me from her and that was that for more than 30 years.

We reconnected about 4 years ago (after I tracker her down using public records, as the official search channels were literally useless) and we've been pretty tight ever since. Well, we have had some bumpy patches in this complicated world of adoption reuniting, but it's really got so much better of late. It's amazing to finally meet someone who looks like you (the eyes and nose in particular), and in many ways who actually thinks like you! It was also remarkable to see how different she is from my adoptive parents (she is just in her early 50's and an extremely unconventional 'rock chick growing old gracefully' kind of person, versus my mid-70's-in-age and very old fashioned adoptive parents).

My adoptive parents don't mind me having contacted her. My two older sisters (also adopted, but from different parents) have also got back in touch with their birth parents - both mothers and fathers in their cases, unlike me. And so, by the time I got round to it my parents were used to the concept. They know anyway (in their weird and roundabout way, at least) that they will always be my folks, for better or for worse. When you meet your birth parent, there is no way on earth your expectations and dreams about the perfect scenario will come to pass. But, if you work at it (as we have done), you can get a little bit of what you want and what you need out of it and that is good enough. :)

Srijita52

Thanks.

Well, I come from Ireland and, in the 1970's (and the preceding decades) Ireland was little short of being a Catholic dictatorship. Thousands and thousands of people were "disappeared" (often for life) into the 'reformatories', 'laundries' and 'children's homes' where they encountered horrific physical and sexual abuse in endemic numbers.

Having a child out of wedlock was more than just unacceptable - it was an outrage and thus had to be hushed up and punished. Once pregnant with me, my mother was well aware of all of the above. It is true though that when I was born (1977) the number of women who were choosing to keep their babies when born out of wedlock was on the rise, but my mum was just 18 and under heavy pressure from all sides and so she didn't feel that option was available to her.

She managed to conceal her pregnancy throughout the duration (another fairly common thing back then), meaning that nobody knew about me until the day I was born. A week later, a 'friend' of the family - the local priest - came and took me from her and that was that for more than 30 years.

We reconnected about 4 years ago (after I tracker her down using public records, as the official search channels were literally useless) and we've been pretty tight ever since. Well, we have had some bumpy patches in this complicated world of adoption reuniting, but it's really got so much better of late. It's amazing to finally meet someone who looks like you (the eyes and nose in particular), and in many ways who actually thinks like you! It was also remarkable to see how different she is from my adoptive parents (she is just in her early 50's and an extremely unconventional 'rock chick growing old gracefully' kind of person, versus my mid-70's-in-age and very old fashioned adoptive parents).

My adoptive parents don't mind me having contacted her. My two older sisters (also adopted, but from different parents) have also got back in touch with their birth parents - both mothers and fathers in their cases, unlike me. And so, by the time I got round to it my parents were used to the concept. They know anyway (in their weird and roundabout way, at least) that they will always be my folks, for better or for worse. When you meet your birth parent, there is no way on earth your expectations and dreams about the perfect scenario will come to pass. But, if you work at it (as we have done), you can get a little bit of what you want and what you need out of it and that is good enough. :)

This made me smile. I'm glad its all working out for you.

cocorose

lol! Is that like tongue in cheek or are you just obsessed with them? I think they are quite lovely and interesting looking things/creatures

akala

ooh winnie the pooh brings back so many childhood memories!
I used to love it.

random facts:

1. my favourite book is: the hobbit

2. I like cheese (who doesn't)

I pee in the shower. I love doing handstands. I chew way too much gum. I watch Friends every day while I feed my daughter. I don't drive.

Klonoa

I am desperate for love and romance

I feel amazingly alone

I love spaghetti westerns! When I heard of Django Unchained, I had hopes that'd give the original 1966 Django the attention it deserves!

I love horror B-Movies.

I think Bruce Campbell's chin is awesome.

My Favorite Movie is The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

I love to dress like a cowboy (to be precise: think Clint Eastwood's clothes from the Dollar Trilogy, minus the poncho) and since I live in a mexican desert, whose main production is cattle, there are many cowboys, so I can get away with it.