Poll: How would rate your SA?

Poll: How would you rate your SA?

• Total voters
[The following is not meant to offend, it's merely a elaboration on a though. No personal offense is meant by it.]

I don't like to see it as ''my SA''. It's not a object inside of me that causes me to be nervous and scared. ''Social Anxiety'' is merely a label that describes a set of conditions, feeling and emotional responses to certain circumstances.

For all intends and purposes, Social Anxiety is a feeling. A reoccurring feeling. By claiming it as ''my'' or ''your'' it becomes a thing too close to heart. Almost a physical part of you. By doing so you unconsciously claim the feelings as something that's yours. As if it's supposed to be there. Which it doesn't. Social Phobia is as much a part/function of you as being happy or sad are.

Happy and sadness both come and go, though. While the feelings of social anxiety tend to reoccur. But, happiness and sadness have a trigger, just like any other feeling. Even the feelings of fear and anxiousness are rooted somewhere. The question shouldn't be ''What am I afraid of, and how afraid am I?'', that won't get you any further. The question should be ''Where does the fear come from, and how do I change/remove the source?''.

I'm not going to rate my fears, because it doesn't help me. Whatever that trigger is inside me that causes me to be afraid, doesn't belong there. And I refuse to acknowledged it as a native/adopted part of me.

Last edited:

Flanscho

Was worse when I was younger. Now, if I'm in a group with 5 or more people, or a bunch of people I don't or barely know, I feel somewhat uncomfortable and might leave sooner than normally. So, it's not bad. A decade ago, I could barely exchange a word with people I didn't know.

TailsAlone

I would say it's between moderate and extreme. I can only control it on occasion. There are some days when I feel really confident and can tell people what I'm thinking. Most of the time, the anxiety controls everything I do.

LazyHermitCrab

Few symtoms= reading a book by myself, sleeping alone, watching a movie by myself, working on online classes, stuff like that
Moderate=going to a planned activity with a friend i know well, after having drink
Totally insane=work, school, social events and meeting new people, crowded malls, public transportation of any kind
Other= :p smiley face

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
When I let it get to it's worst it is bad, I totally shut down and go mute basically. When I am at my best it is manageable but still requires a lot of effort for me to do, say, and act on a lot of things.

. I just say it's out of my control because even when I am at my best and am trying my best, there are lot's of situations that I am still significantly and notable the quietest person. And that's how it really manifests itself, muteness/quietness.

Entangled

I wouldn't really consider myself 'totally insane' but I can not agree with the 'Moderate (I can control my SA if I want)' choice. I mean if I could control it I wouldn't be having these problems, or even be on this forum in the first place. Like it's not a choice at all...

bcsr

Under control for the most part. I have my moments, but I get through them well enough.

Gaucho

its enough to destroy entirely my life. actually I have no life, so there is nothing to be destroyed, just to be kept, and not to let free.

takeheart

Mine is worse, very worse. its like I'm under a spell like I'm cursed or something. I think I have it worse here than anybody. Im so quite that its ridiculous. everything is not going right for me, as a matter of fact, nothing has ever been right for me. Not one freaking thing. My life is just a mess waiting to be cleaned and that is death.

Luka

I voted others because it's in between moderate and totally insane. I can't control my SA but I wouldn't say it's 'insane' if that makes any sense.

lyricalliaisons

My social anxiety is very bad. I've never had a job because of it, never had a relationship because of it, and have no friends because of it.

Littlewing13

Insane. Sometimes I am ok, other times I'm afraid to leave the house a bit or catch a bus (& I don't drive). I avoid parties & group situations even though I used to love them. I want to get a casual job but I'm too scared.

tallmommy

It used to be a lot worse. I've progressed a lot, but isolation is still a problem. My husband tries to tell me its partially because our lives our busy, but when I go to social functions, I tend not to speak. I worry a little about our daughter. I love that working part time has allowed me to keep her out of daycare, but she's nearly two and I feel I don't create enough opportunities for her. I take her to toddler activities and she makes momentary friends quickly and really enjoys other kids, but I never have any playdates for her. I worry I'll eventually get in her way.