People Are Strange

chatterbox71

I thought this thread could serve as a show-and-tell space of daily personal encounters with people who are strange and likely part of the reason we are all congregating on SocialPhobiaWorld.com.

Hopefully, we can try to find some humor in most of these encounters--but at the very least, this space can offer a means to get the experience off one's chest and possibly also get some moral support from fellow members. I know I can dwell on irksome exchanges so it's good to acknowledge the situation and then be done with it!

I'll start it off with a WTF? encounter at work today:

I'm working reception, at a front desk. A woman comes in, fills out a form so we can look her up in the database and provide her with services she needs. Suddenly--and melodramatically, she hands me the form in an exasperated THRUST of her arm. I take the form, for some reason thanking her for it--and she proceeds to THRUST into my face the pencil she'd been using, asking in an annoyed voice, "Can I sharpen this?" She has the look of a fallen Hollywood movie star, wearing sunglasses inside a windowless room, and possibly used to having an assistant at her beck and call. I can't tell you where I work, but I can tell you that there is absolutely no reason to feel you are above others where I work!

I looked to my right, spied an electric pencil sharpener (far from where the counter/she is), and said, "I can sharpen it for you," gently taking it from her, and thinking she will be satisfied. "WELL. USUALLY when I come here, I sharpen the pencils! USUALLY, this is NOT an ISSUE!" Ummmmmmm, what?

I work this shift all the time and have NEVER seen this woman. She is not backing off, I've got others' forms to process, so I just put the pencil sharpener up on the counter so she can use it. She proceeds to sharpen EVERY SINGLE PENCIL in two jars we have on the counter. This likely amounts to about FIFTY pencils--maybe more. She notes that she likes the smell of a newly sharpened pencil at one point, at a pause in a 5-to-10-minute duration of INCESSANT BUZZING NOISE.

Next!

MikeyC

Haha, chatterbox, that was hilarious. At least all your pencils were sharpened, right? :giggle:

I work at a police station, so I've seen a number of different people in custody and in the foyer. I do recall one time I was walking in to work and there were a number of young people possibly in their late teens/early twenties hanging around the foyer. This conversation happened:

Girl: Are you the cleaner?
Me: Yeah.
Girl: Do you have a criminal record?
Me: Uh, no, I don't.
Girl: You're lucky.

Yes, because not having a criminal record boils down to luck. :eek:mg:

theoutsider

Great idea for a thread!

Well, first of all it sounds like that woman who sharpened all of the pencils was off her nut. No use trying to apply logic there unless you take into account that she more than likely had some happy pills at home that she forgot to take.

The biggest 'people are strange' encounter that comes to mind for me was this co-worker I had some years ago. She was a single mom who was trying to get ahead by herself but she could be unbelievably naive, vulnerable and stubborn.

Scene 1:
Co-worker comes to work all excited. She tells me that the previous evening a guy pulled up in her driveway in a truck. To her good fortune, the guy told her he had just finished a HUGE carpet job and had some carpet left over. It seems the guy was tired of dealing with dumb people and because she was the smartest person he'd spoken to all day, he was going to sell and install this excess to her for a fraction of the price! Isn't that just dandy?
I tried to inform her that this wasn't just a scam, it was one of the more popular scams that almost everybody knew about. I tried to convince her to please not hand over her hard earned money to this scam artist. Her response to me?
"So what are you, some kind of genius or something?"
Two months later she's spending all her time at work on the phone seeing if she could do something about the guy who ripped her off by selling her carpet that now had multiple bald spots. Of course by then the guy was long gone and there was nothing she could do.

Scene 2:
Fast forward approximately 3 months later. Same co-worker comes into the office raving about the great deal she was going to get on some new window frames for her house. It seems a guy had approached her who had just finished a job down the street and had some extra window frames he wanted to sell to a pretty lady like her at a STEEP discount. The only thing was he needed payment in advance to shut his boss up. No problem, as soon as she got her paycheck that week she was planning to pay up!
I tried to talk her out of handing over her hard earned money to this guy. Told her it was a scam and reminded her that I was the one who tried to warn her about the carpet guy before.
First of all, she had no recollection of me trying to warn her about the carpet guy and her response to my second round of advice? "So what are you, some kind of expert on windows or something?"
A few weeks later I hear her on the phone trying to track down the guy she paid in advance who, much to her surprise, never showed up to install her new window frames. Of course the guy was long gone and there was nothing she could do about it.

Ever wonder what kind of people get tricked into giving those online Nigerian scam artists their bank information? Well, I know just the type. All you have to do is pay them a compliment on their intelligence or looks and they are hooked. Until the day she left the company, my co-worker never could figure out why I stopped talking to her and listening to her complaints about how life was screwing her over.

Last edited:

theoutsider

Another, more recent co-worker story:

New guy starts working at my office about two months ago. For some reason he becomes attached to me (much to my annoyance). I'm not the one who was supposed to be training him but he starts asking me every time he has a question. If I tell him I don't know the answer and to please go ask the person assigned to training him or our manager, he would just go back to his desk and sit down. As time went on, his questions just kept getting weirder and weirder. Like, "Hey, the printer isn't working but the message says to try restarting it. Should I do that?" and "Our manager just told me to run this report. Should I do it?" or "The copier is out of paper and I need to print a document. Now what should I do?"
Now, granted, I was just a worker on the same authority level as him so why the heck would he come to me and ask if he should do something our manager told him to do? I quit a week ago. When I first gave my two weeks notice and our manager made the announcement of my impending departure, this new guy had a look of doom on his face as if my leaving would be the end of him. I kid you not, a few days later he handed in a two weeks notice as well even though he had no other job to go to. It was as if he'd decided he couldn't go on there without me to lean on.

I have a theory that weird people are drawn to me either because opposites attract or they think I'm their leader.

Kiwong

I ran up behind three guys walking along the creek trail. One guy was dressed only in his undies, holding a broom in one hand, and chanting in loud gibberish. I ran by very fast until they were out of earshot.

Buda

last week we asked a friend from other project at a co-working environment if he could do or manage someone to run a video to present our idea, he told us that he wasn't skilled for that but knew someone that would ask about for a price to do it and would reply us back after..

(note: we work about 40 persons in a open space, you can easily see everyone)

2 days ago he suddenly shows up (i'll call him John) there and come up toward our direction, my friend (will call her Rita) see he's first...and it goes like this (i was sited in front of her)

Rita: Hey John, how are you doing?!
John: about the video.....(makes some seconds pause)....it's 550euros!

This was completely out of the blue...he shows up from nowhere and fires up "about the video, it's 550euros"

then they talk about 5 minutes from what he could in the video, and I was there all the time hearing the conversation....

the funniest move, after all that conversation...

John: "Hey Buda! Sorry didn't saw you there sited!"

i almost didn't control myself, i was there all the time and the guy didn't saw me...worst the way he approached, was hilarious....my friend couldn't believe it, wtf is wrong with this guy?

think is kind of anxious also, but couldn't stop to laugh for awhile after...

Last edited:

Phoenixx

I ran up behind three guys walking along the creek trail. One guy was dressed only in his undies, holding a broom in one hand, and chanting in loud gibberish. I ran by very fast until they were out of earshot.
^ LOL! :bigsmile: This one made me laugh.

MikeyC

Scene 1:
Co-worker comes to work all excited. She tells me that the previous evening a guy pulled up in her driveway in a truck. To her good fortune, the guy told her he had just finished a HUGE carpet job and had some carpet left over. It seems the guy was tired of dealing with dumb people and because she was the smartest person he'd spoken to all day, he was going to sell and install this excess to her for a fraction of the price! Isn't that just dandy?
I tried to inform her that this wasn't just a scam, it was one of the more popular scams that almost everybody knew about. I tried to convince her to please not hand over her hard earned money to this scam artist. Her response to me?
"So what are you, some kind of genius or something?"
Two months later she's spending all her time at work on the phone seeing if she could do something about the guy who ripped her off by selling her carpet that now had multiple bald spots. Of course by then the guy was long gone and there was nothing she could do.

Scene 2:
Fast forward approximately 3 months later. Same co-worker comes into the office raving about the great deal she was going to get on some new window frames for her house. It seems a guy had approached her who had just finished a job down the street and had some extra window frames he wanted to sell to a pretty lady like her at a STEEP discount. The only thing was he needed payment in advance to shut his boss up. No problem, as soon as she got her paycheck that week she was planning to pay up!
I tried to talk her out of handing over her hard earned money to this guy. Told her it was a scam and reminded her that I was the one who tried to warn her about the carpet guy before.
First of all, she had no recollection of me trying to warn her about the carpet guy and her response to my second round of advice? "So what are you, some kind of expert on windows or something?"
A few weeks later I hear her on the phone trying to track down the guy she paid in advance who, much to her surprise, never showed up to install her new window frames. Of course the guy was long gone and there was nothing she could do about it.
Maybe she'll get fooled a third time, and then maybe she'll listen to what you said. :)

Am I the only one who cringes when I read this thread?
I don't cringe. They're more funny anecdotes for me. :)

MikeyC

I remember a few years ago a female friend text messaged me that she gave her boyfriend a blow-job using sausages as innuendo.

To this day I still don't know why she told me that.

theoutsider

Maybe she'll get fooled a third time, and then maybe she'll listen to what you said. :)

I don't cringe. They're more funny anecdotes for me. :)

LOL! I haven't seen or spoken to her in years. I'm sure she's been scammed several times over by now.

chatterbox71

Great idea for a thread!
-- :)

Well, first of all it sounds like that woman who sharpened all of the pencils was off her nut. No use trying to apply logic there unless you take into account that she more than likely had some happy pills at home that she forgot to take.
--You're so right. This is honestly something I struggle with: I often put a lot of energy into dealing with people who aren't worth the time and who are not going to change, much like your former co-worker! (I had a neighbor like that, many years ago, and it was entertaining, mind-blowing, and heartbreaking to come to find how clueless she was about how the world worked. The story was long, but the punchline was that she thought complete strangers she met online were coming to rescue her and her poor son from a bad relationship she was in--and the knight-in-shining armor duo were going to drive from Canada to the Midwest in what was then a cutting-edge Hummer. My husband and I were driving her and her son to a domestic-violence protective shelter one night, and along the way, a Hummer--one of countless on the road at the time--drove by us, and she gasped, "Oh! Oh!!")
--Wouldn't it be nice to have "not-worth-my-time-'dar'" (radar) so you knew when to use your breath and when not to waste it?

chatterbox71

Another, more recent co-worker story:

New guy starts working at my office about two months ago. For some reason he becomes attached to me (much to my annoyance). QUOTE]
--I gotta say, this is both exasperating but also a little on the sad side. Exasperating because it drives me NUTS when people who don't have basic skills are given jobs when others with the skills are passed over; a little on the sad side because the questions about the printer remind me of something I may have asked from time to time. Whoops! :)